PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 20 SE Bowlturner Bandsaw

Thane Duncan
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Anybody out there had experience with one of these? Thoughts, suggestions. Please constructive comment only. They can build it with 4.5 hp to accomodate my 30 amp 10 gauge limitations. Alternatives in the price range?
Northfield not in my league. Has anybody used their bowl blank device?

Thanks to all

TD

Jim Becker
04-19-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm still at a loss why they call it a "bowl turner"...it's just a band saw. Well, it does have some interesting jigging with it or available. Similar size machines from Agazzani and Mini Max will cut just as nicely and with similar capacities. (Particularly the MM) Choose on capacities and cost...you really don't need to cut a turning blank perfectly round on the band saw. That's what the lathe is for! (and for really big blanks, a chain saw works just as well, IMHO)

Richard Madison
04-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Am pretty sure a neighbor of mine has one of these. A 20" Laguna with circle cutting doodad. Maybe can visit his shop in a week or so and report back.

Meanwhile, I agree with Jim. Chainsaw and lathe can make it round.

Kevin McPeek
04-19-2007, 9:37 AM
Not my chainsaw. It prefers some sort of lumpy multifaceted shape that is undescribable by geometry.

Bob Hallowell
04-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Kevin,
my chainsaw does the same but I think it is more of a "loose nut in the trigger actuator" that is the main problem:eek:

Bob

Ken LaSota
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I've never even got a semi circle with my chainsaw either.
Ken

Reed Gray
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
You can do it with a chainsaw, but the bandsaw does a much better job, and is a lot faster. You save time in prepping the blank, and in turning because the blank is a lot more even and balanced to start with. I figure the overall time savings in prep and turning time is between 30% and 50%. I have the Laguna 16 HD, and love it. I think that the 20 inch with the same motor as the 16 may be a tiny bit under powered, but not much. It is just a bandsaw, but made to accomodate the 20 inch lathes. I have the PM and seldom turn bowls over 16 inches because that is more of a specialty market, and they don't sell well for me. My 16 HD has about 15 inches of throat depth, so these saws aren't made for doing all sorts of fancy curves on big pieces.
Do you need a bowl cutting jig? I don't think so. I have a PM bandsaw for cutting circles on blanks less than 6 inches thick (1/2 inch blade). I use the Laguna to make the top and bottom of the blank parallel (1 1/4 inch blade), and if the blank is more than 6 inches high, then I lop off the corners, from square to octagon to 16agon. No need to go beyond that.
I can see how a sled of some sort would be handy in preping the blank. Usually, I chainsaw down the pith. If this cut is straight, then I make a cross grain cut on both ends, then stand the blank on end to make the sides parallel. Most of the time the blank has roundes sides so you can't stand in on edge to cut because it wants to roll into the blade (blades bind, break, bad works are said, etc). When you stand it on end to cut this does create one problem, you get a lot of long shavings rather than dust or small chips. These clog up the dust collector porthole. You open up the body of the saw, and it looks like the Star Trek 'Trouble with Tribbles' inside. These need to cleared by hand. I also removed the metal cross hairs in the dust collection porthole.
You do need a 30 amp circuit to run the saw.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2007, 1:32 PM
I don't know why you would need something that big. I have Grizzly G0555 with the riser for about $450. I haven't found a blank I couldn't cut yet except for one and I used the chain saw on it. As far as jigs go I nail a round piece of cardboard to give me something of a circle and cut. Don't need nothing fancy.

Thane Duncan
04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I do appreciate everyones input. I am looking also at the MM24 based on their current sale. Will let all know when I make decision. Thanks for your time. If anyone has used the actual machine I will check this post. I believe ACM no longer makes the Laguna 20. If anyone has the skinny on the source of these bandsaws let me know. Again Thanks.:)

TD

Jim Becker
04-20-2007, 5:02 PM
'Just a clarification about my chainsaw comment...you don't make the blank "round" with the chainsaw. You knock off the corners, mount the piece on the lathe between centers or on a screw chuck and turn it round with pull cuts from the end you plan on using as the "base" of your bowl or vessel.

Thane Duncan
04-21-2007, 1:04 AM
Well I learned today that ACM does not make the 20SE Bowlturner Laguna bandsaw. The company said "It is manufactured in Bulgaria by Stomana. . They make our boring machines, edgebanders , shapers, lathes ,and panel saws. The saw will not bog down with the 4.5 hp. The 6 hp is simply bigger and better for those who need it . They are both Baldor and are very strong".
They also said when I asked about the ACM saws that the bowl turner saw is very heavy duty. For what it is worth the boys at MM think their saw is heavier duty. I have read the previous threads on the Agi, MM and Laguna competition. If anyone has actually used the Laguna or has some real data on the comparison that might make the decision easier. I know all are well made and between the brands there is not alot of difference. I am looking at either the 20SE Laguna or the MM24, the resaw is greater for these machines.
The above company quotes are from sales when I enquired about the ACM company and from a thread earlier stating they do not make the Laguna saws now.
Again thanks for all your input.

TD:confused:

Reed Gray
04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I have read a number of threads and comparisons about the Laguna and MM saws. One difference that was noted was the customer service was supposed to be a lot better from MM. Laguna was supposed to be addressing this problem. Other than that, performance seems to be about the same, with the comparable MM saws being a little bit heavier.
robo hippy

JerHall
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I have a MM combo machine and a Laguna HD16 bandsaw. Service from both companies has been good. Each occasionally has been slow on follow up. My older HD16 has a fence that is time consuming to remove and adjust. The table tilt requires using a wrench, and is time consuming. This may have changed. MM was easy in both cases. Worth checking. Easy tilt is useful with natural edge and crotch blanks when you are trying to orient the top of the bowl to the sides of an odd shaped piece.

All that said, I find roughing out a blank safer, faster and easier with an electric chain saw and Veritas hold down in a 3/4" hole in my shop saw horses with sacrificial 2x4's on top. With the band saw you need a flat to safely seat on the table, and need to orient (tilt) the top. I had a blank roll on me and smash my finger on the band saw. I now always make sure I have a flat, and cut straight lines on the band saw, but much prefer the chain saw. See below:

Glenn Hodges
04-21-2007, 2:10 PM
I bought the 20 inch bandsaw from Steel City, and I am happy with it. You should check out this one before buying.

Thane Duncan
04-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Any info on who makes the Steel City bandsaw?
TD
:)

Gary Max
04-22-2007, 8:29 AM
I don't post here much but I want to share this with you.
1st year --I had 4 motors on my HD-16----The saw has been nothing but trouble for me from the day I ordered it to the day thier salesman called me up and cussed me out.
I would never buy anything thing from them again.

Pat Salter
04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm with Bernie, I have a bunch of circles from 6" on up to 12" (biggest my lathe will take) and I just nail what ever size I need on the blank and cut away. And since the 20 is relating to the distance from blade to the column and you cut outside anyway.... It doesn't matter. You should be able to cut any size you need. My biggest concern is how thick I can cut. That's why a lot of the smaller bandsaws have risers on them. Our old Rockwell at work is supposed to be a 20 but what I like better is that I can cut a 12" thick blank on it.
Also, It does make the turning faster. Mike Mahoney, a professional bowl turner, cuts all his first on the bandsaw. He says it take less time to finish the bowl. For most of us that doesn't matter that much except when you think of being able to do 5 bowls a week instead of 2 :rolleyes:

Glenn Hodges
04-22-2007, 2:27 PM
Steel City was started by a group of guys that used to work for Delta. I believe their stuff is made in Tiawan, but not sure.

John Shuk
04-22-2007, 2:56 PM
I don't post here much but I want to share this with you.
1st year --I had 4 motors on my HD-16----The saw has been nothing but trouble for me from the day I ordered it to the day thier salesman called me up and cussed me out.
I would never buy anything thing from them again.

I'm in your camp Gary. Long story that has never been made right.

Burt Alcantara
04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I've been fighting my 1hp Grizzly G0555 for 2 years. Recently, through extensive searching on the net I found that the problem is operator error. (It has a riser giving me 12" height. I use BC saw blades recommended by Michael Fortune).

The trick is to use jigs. You need a good cross cut jig to true up the ends then, optionally, turn the log on its trued end and cut it down the center.

Next, a ripping jig to cut clean symmetrical sides and slabs.

All this can be done with a 14" 1hp bs. The most important trick is to go sloooooow. When I was pushing the logs into the blade I ended up with curved uneven blanks, some ending up in the fireplace pile. Now, even without jigs I get substantially better cuts just by going slow.

You don't have to cut round blank in one go. My brain refuses to let me do this so I cut off chunks, rotating the blank so I'm always cutting with the grain. For heavier blanks I cut smaller chunks so the blank won't create too much vibration.

Hope this helps,
Burt