PDA

View Full Version : best brad nailer????

jamieb wilkinson
04-18-2007, 11:26 PM
wanting to get a new brad nailer, wondering what everyone out there likes, what all the reviews say the best ones are? thanks.

Roy McQuay
04-18-2007, 11:36 PM
I bought the Porter Cable a few years ago as a set, with pancake compressor. I really don't use it much and sold the compressor 2 years ago when I got an 80 gallon 2 stage set up. The times I have used it I had no problems.

Kev Godwin
04-18-2007, 11:49 PM
I've been using the Senco FinishPro 25XP for about 3 years. It does a good job and does not have to be oiled like many other models. Thus, no risk of oil on the wood.
One thing I don't care for is the front position of the plunge pad to release the safety. This model has the pad to the front and makes visibility for precise placement a pain. Other manufacturers that have the plunge to the rear are a lot easier to see. Getting this model to shoot into a 90 degree dado joint is also tough due to this. I wish I had used a few other models before my purchase. If I were to do it again, I sure like my friend's DeWalt model.

mark page
04-19-2007, 1:43 AM
I have both the PC and Rigid models. Both are good but I prefer the Rigid and reach for it the most. Has not jammed once, has adjustable exhaust, rafter hook or in my shop a belt hook, ergonomically fits me well, rear padded safety mechanism, oiless, can be set for auto firing, etc. Actually have two of the Rigid models due to a 3-pack purchase of finish nailer and pivot driver. I bought a Bostich once at the advice of a friend, fired less that 100 brads and took that thing back. I also have a Rigid narrow crown stapler that is worth its weight to me in gold too.

Ken Milhinch
04-19-2007, 6:10 AM
I have a Porter Cable & a Bostitch. Both do a good job and I have had no issues with either. I think most name brands will be fine, they are not exactly a hi-tech tool.

Doug Shepard
04-19-2007, 6:48 AM
I've only owned one so cant really give you a comparison, but I've been happy with the DeWalt. No problems so far and it does what it's supposed to.

Per Swenson
04-19-2007, 7:11 AM
This week....... Hitachi.

Caveat. Any of the brands if cared for and used sparingly in

hobbyist mode will last a life time. Except maybe the paslode 18.

I thought that was the greatest evah. Due to ergonomics and price.

Garbage after 3 months at 40 hrs a week.

One other thing, and this is probably more information about me

then you really want to know. Last year I wouldn't of looked at a hitachi

nail gun at all. For the silliest prejudicial reason.

I don't like the whine of their chop saws.

Then I got my hands on one, nailer that is, and for now they get

my vote for best gun of the week.

Off to work, have a nice day everybody.

Per

Andrew Williams
04-19-2007, 7:40 AM
I don't use brad nailers very often but I have a Hitachi. It seems to work fine, although it takes about 75-80 pounds to get it to start up when I first connect the air. I prefer using 70 lbs for light work, but the depth can be adjusted, so it's fine.

Larry Fox
04-19-2007, 9:51 AM
I have the Porter Cable (actually I have two of them - more on that later). It has served me very well and has never jammed. Brads are available pretty much everywhere.

I have a brand new one that came as part of a package which I am trying to sell.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56183

Make me an offer if interested. Shameless plug. :)

Steve Roxberg
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Brad Nailer, I'm using a Grizzly that was the President's special for a while. Only $29 dollars. I don't use it very often but it's worked very well.

Benjamin Dahl
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
i use a bostich 16 guage and porter cable 18 guage. both have served me well for a house renovation and the hobby but I am not using it 40 hrs/week like Per and others.
Ben

Bruce Benjamin
04-19-2007, 3:21 PM
I've had the magnesium Bostitch 18ga. for several years and I've used it quite a bit. I bought it off Ebay as a refurbished unit for cheap and it looked brand new when I got it. It's worked flawlessly. I like that it doesn't use oil for lubrication. Not only is that convenient but I never have to worry about getting any on a project and messing up the finish. I liked it so much I bought a refurbished Bostitch stapler.

Bruce

christopher fastern
01-14-2016, 1:05 AM
If you are looking for the best brad nailer kit, than roaming through all manufacturer’s websites might make you little overwhelmed.

Best Brad Nailer Reviews and Buying Guide of 2016

Kevin Womer
01-14-2016, 6:09 AM
I have found the freeman from woodcraft to be reliable for myself, the price was right for me and the occasional use I put it through. There are better nailers out there I am sure, my Bostich is over 15 years old as well as a PC I have which were also great deals for me. I just have a hard time as a hobbyist plunking down 3 hundred dollars for a nailer, but if I were a pro, I could justify that price tag.

Chris Kiely
01-14-2016, 7:43 AM
I use an 18 gauge Porter Cable that has probably fired half a million nails, with zero issues. (hard use every day for 10 years working as a trim carpenter). I did disable the safety on it though, as I find the little pin sometimes marks or dents the surface you are nailing depending on the position of the gun.

I also use a 23 gauge Grex which is a very nice gun, although it requires a lot more maintenance than the PC.

Cary Falk
01-14-2016, 8:44 AM
I have some older PC and Bostitch. All have been good. If I were to do it today I think I would go Hitatichi. I am not too thrilled with the latest offerings of PC.

Peter Quinn
01-14-2016, 10:25 AM
The best....it's probably grex. The best one I own, the new bostich oilless model, works pretty well, I don't like where they put the safety, occasionally I get safe when working at an odd angle and holding the work with the other hand, but it fires well, doesn't misfire, it's comfortable to hold and has a good belt hook.

peter gagliardi
01-14-2016, 11:21 AM
I looked at Grex for a 23 ga. Pin nailer when i was hunting, but i ended up buying a Cadex. Dont remember exactly why right now, but pretty sure it had better capacity or features than the comparable Grex.
I havent been disappointed.
And i would certainly look to them again .
Build quality is top notch.

Tom Ewell
01-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Don't think any of my pneumatics are younger than 10 years old and have no idea of how many different brands I've used since my first Senco framer and roofers from the early 80's
but FWIW when I currently load the truck for a full house trim out, the Cadex 23, Ridgid 18, Senco 15 and a (newish) Paslode 16 cordless goes on.

I have no idea how new guns compare but of the group listed I'm most impressed with the Cadex and the Ridgid has been surprisingly dependable.

Braders have almost reached the commodity stage so I suppose features, 'feel' in the hand and parts supply would determine my next purchase if the need should arise.

Peter Kelly
01-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Fasco pinners and nailers are best. The 23ga 1/2" - 2" one is typically less expensive than the Grex or Max versions of the same gun as well.
http://www.fasco-tools.com/en/standard-tools/pinners.html

Ole Anderson
01-14-2016, 12:44 PM
I have an older Bostitch bought from Builder's Square (remember them?), but limited to 1 3/8" brads. Never a problem. I just bought a new one for my son which takes 2" brads. They have two, the better one gets great reviews and has a narrow point, the cheaper one is, well, cheaper, and doesn't get such great reviews.

Don Sundberg
01-14-2016, 12:56 PM
I bought the BOSTITCH BTFP12233 Smart Point 18GA Brad Nailer Kit a while back and it seems to work very well so far. I had a grip tite brand one that I got in a 3 piece kit that was a little flaky. This one does 2" brads with ease.

Jon Nuckles
01-14-2016, 4:42 PM
This is all good advice, I'm sure, and can be used by someone, but the most recent post in this thread before today was almost 8 years ago. Looks like a (potentially spam) post resurrected it this morning.

Martin Wasner
01-14-2016, 6:21 PM
The best....it's probably grex. The best one I own, the new bostich oilless model, works pretty well, I don't like where they put the safety, occasionally I get safe when working at an odd angle and holding the work with the other hand, but it fires well, doesn't misfire, it's comfortable to hold and has a good belt hook.

I've never used a Grex. I always hear good things though. We've got all Senco guns and I can't complain too much about them. The 18 ga pin nailer that's used for doors is getting a little ragged, but it's shot a zillion nails and owes me nothing.

Alan Lightstone
01-14-2016, 6:57 PM
I wonder if the one the OP bought is still working...

Chris Kiely
01-15-2016, 7:41 AM
I wonder if the one the OP bought is still working...

Haha! Whoops. Great question tho

jack duren
01-17-2016, 9:07 AM
Prefer the Senco slp20. The older versions.I have Bostitch but they failed soon after purchase. I mainly use Senco and Paslode gas guns.You pay a few more sometimes but worth it.

John A langley
01-17-2016, 9:16 AM
Hey jack which one shoots the beer

peter gagliardi
01-17-2016, 9:21 AM
The older Senco's are excellent. That is what i still have and started with in 15 ga. and 18 ga. The SLP 20, and i dont remember the 15 ga. model- maybe SL1? Anyway , they both shoot to 2", i have had 2 of each for about 20 years, and none of them have ever needed repairs!
I did get the 2 different Paslode cordless recently for onesy/twosey installs where a compressor would be cumbersome to bring.
I like the Senco, because the brad nailer was pre- safety buttons, and the bigger Senco safety was so simple, it magically fell off when i took it out of the box. ;). New Senco stuff is trash in comparison.

jack duren
01-17-2016, 9:31 AM
Hey jack which one shoots the beer

I can't drink it so I collect it;)

Jim Becker
01-17-2016, 10:59 AM
"Best" is relative...there are a number of very nice products available. Senco and Grex are my guns of choice, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily "best". They were a good value when I bought them, however, and have lasted for years and years.

Tom M King
01-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Neither my Bostitch 1-1/8" nor Senco 2" 23 ga. pinners has ever misfired a pin that I know of. Nor have any of the other small finish nailers through 18 ga. pinners, starting with the SN1 that I bought used in 1974. That SN1 is old enough that it doesn't have any kind of safety on it, but it still gets used once in a while.

Dave Lehnert
01-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Wonder if the OP has found his best nailer,
He had 9 years to decide LOL!!!

Rich Engelhardt
01-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Just to be clear here....

I see a lot of mention of Grex, but, I believe by those making those comments, they are talking about the 23 ga pin nailers.

Grex 23 ga pin nailers are very highly regarded.

You would be very hard pressed to find anyone that has something good to say about other Grex products.
They are generally regarded as ultra low end at ridiculously high prices.

Alan Lightstone
01-17-2016, 12:39 PM
FWIW, I just bought the cordless Senco 6E0001N 18 Ga Fusion Brad Nailer.

I've only used it a few times, but I really like it.

For 23ga headless nailer, I love my Grex, but the reviews of it in the 18 ga size weren't very favorable, as I think was alluded to by the previous post.

Jim Becker
01-17-2016, 6:34 PM
Ah, I see that this thread was resurrected by someone trying to promote a web site... :)

Peter Quinn
01-17-2016, 7:42 PM
Ah, I see that this thread was resurrected by someone trying to promote a web site... :)

I went to that site, what is the revenue stream? Crappy generic reviews in a way less than comprehensive manner wholey un-scientific with no pretense to being impartial, and links to commercial sites, primarily amazon. Does the sites author get some revenue for hits or sales from amazon? Seems like a strange way to make a buck. Funny, I rarely look at the time line on the posts. Its funny how you can strike up a 7 year old conversation on the web without realizing it, and still benefit from it. I don't know about the OP, but I had fun taking a good look at brad nailer in this context and learned of a few brands that were not on my radar.

Jim Dwight
01-17-2016, 8:35 PM
I like my Bostitch 16 and 23 gauge but my pneumatic 18 gauge is a PC. It's OK but has jambed. More recently I got a Ryobi cordless and really like it. I don't have my compressor going all the time so if I need to drive a few brads, it is much easier to slap a battery into the cordless than to listen to the compressor fill the tank.

Jim Becker
01-18-2016, 8:10 PM
I went to that site, what is the revenue stream? Crappy generic reviews in a way less than comprehensive manner wholey un-scientific with no pretense to being impartial, and links to commercial sites, primarily amazon. Does the sites author get some revenue for hits or sales from amazon? Seems like a strange way to make a buck. Funny, I rarely look at the time line on the posts. Its funny how you can strike up a 7 year old conversation on the web without realizing it, and still benefit from it. I don't know about the OP, but I had fun taking a good look at brad nailer in this context and learned of a few brands that were not on my radar.

Could be to garner income from "clicks" or to place advertising beacons for future use. There is always a reason... ;) ...and it's a common thing to try and do it on forum sites due to the increased odds for click-throughs.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Bill Ryall
01-18-2016, 9:46 PM
I have a full set of nailers, all Bostich. 23GA pinner, 2 18GA brad, 7/32 narrow crown stapler, 16GA finish, 15GA finish, framing nailer, coil roofing nailer. I have been extremely happy with all of them. I just bought a second 18GA brad nailer, and they have made a lot of improvements over the older model.