PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your push stick?

Jeff Miller
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
The type of push stick I use is hanging on the right side of my saw, was handy there.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/shop/shop024.jpg

I recently put a delta t-2 fence and added an 8" extension on the right, just enough where it's too far away.

So tonight I made a bracket that hangs on the right side of the fence to put it in,seems like it'll work real good. It doesn't interfere with the fence operation and I can just lift it off if not needed.

So has anyone else done this or do you just leave it lay on the table top.

Show some PICS. if you have done this, would be much appreciated. I don't have PICS. of mine yet but will post when I do.

THANK YOU

JEFF ;)

Chris McDowell
04-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Jeff I use an Excalibur blade guard on my saw. The lock bolt for the boom extension is just right for me to hang my push stick on. It puts them at eye level and close by when needed.

Chris

Nancy Laird
04-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Right on top of the Bies fence--they're there when you need them.

Nancy

Justin James
04-19-2007, 3:58 AM
Jeff, that looks like a real nice setup.

Right about where you've got your router, I've got an open-ended box that I periodically refill with push-sticks made from scrap. Half the time I forget to put them back, and I've learned to just accept it.

Your idea of fastening it to the side of the fence sounds great, but I'd never remember to return it.

Brian Penning
04-19-2007, 5:52 AM
I keep it where I can never find it.
But I do try and keep it on top of the Bies fence.

Ken Milhinch
04-19-2007, 6:07 AM
Where is Spencer Keysan when you need him ?:)

Andrew Williams
04-19-2007, 7:37 AM
I have a bunch of different ones on the wall next to the TS. The cut-specific one sits on the saw, right of the fence.

Sandy Masquith
04-19-2007, 7:42 AM
The thin Bench Dog stays on the fence. I have several hand-made ones that I keep in the storage bin just under the right wing of the saw. Very soon these will be wrapped with sandpaper as suggested by a Creeker in a recent post. I'm one of those silly people that keeps the gaurd on the saw as much as possible. I like safety...and push sticks are a pretty big part of that. Putting sandpaper on the working end of the push sticks is a great idea...I think today may be spent making some more sticks! ;)

Joe Chritz
04-19-2007, 7:46 AM
Where else?

Over there by the thingy, under that whatcha. Sheesh!

Joe

David Weaver
04-19-2007, 8:17 AM
I have mine magnetically stuck to a metal post in the middle of the garage - I stick everything magnetic to it.

Gary Herrmann
04-19-2007, 8:27 AM
On the fence

Lars Thomas
04-19-2007, 8:59 AM
I can't be sure. I'm really on the fence on this one.

Mike Wood
04-19-2007, 9:32 AM
I also keep mine on a shelf next to the saw but try as I will, sometimes I begin the cut before reaching for the stick. I'm considering permanently super gluing the stick to my hand and try to save a finger or two.:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
04-19-2007, 9:36 AM
Mine has a magnet glued to it. When I do use that type of stick as opposed to a Grr-Ripper or push block (this is seldom) I stick it to the top of the Bies so its handy. For storage it sticks to the underside of the fron rail at the right of the saw.

Nancy Laird
04-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I can't be sure. I'm really on the fence on this one.

Groan! :p :p

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a few of 'em hung by nails over my head where I stand when at the saw.

Often if I'm ripping lots of small stuff I'll make one specially for the job. I'll make a handle and mount it on a sheet of ply about 6" by 8" and run the pusher block right into the blade. Then I set a hard stop preventing me from pushing further than I want.

Rod Sheridan
04-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I keep a push stick on top of the Biessemeyer fence (probably not the safest place to keep it), and a push block is stored on the pegboard with all the other saw accessories. (Unless of course I've left the darn thing somewhere else????)

regards, Rod.

Sam Blanchard
04-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Ken:
You have a sick, twisted sense of humor - keep it comin'!!!!:D :D :D

ROBERT ELLIS
04-19-2007, 9:05 PM
I used to use an old homemade push stick, tried to keep it on top of the fence but half the time it wasn't there. So, recently I bought the Bench Dog Pushloc. It comes with a cradle to "sit in" as well a a holder to put pencils in. I temporarily mounted it to the top of the fence using a product called Blue Stik I picked up at Lowe's. I say temporarily because the Blue Stick is just an adhesive you roll up into a ball and I stuck 4 balls to the underside of the cradle and then just merely stuck the cradle to the top of the fence. The Blue Stic stay's soft and sticky (it's made to be removeable) so all you have to do is peel it from off the fence if you ever want to remove it. I opted to go this route because I didn't want to bore holes in my fence. So far it's working out nicely, and the push stic is right there at the ready...I like it.

A word about the Bench Dog Push Loc...a nice little product, thin, lighweight, ergonomicly balanced (but takes a little getting used to) supply's nice downward pressure on the board, something my little homemade push stick wasn't doing...

Robert

Tyler Howell
04-19-2007, 9:15 PM
Right on top of the Bies fence--they're there when you need them.

Nancy
What Nancy said.
Also have a couple above the saw with in easy reach. Have had a need for 2 at times.

Gary Keedwell
04-19-2007, 9:26 PM

:D :D :D :eek: LOL
Gary K.

M Toupin
04-19-2007, 9:54 PM
Push stick??? :confused:

Oh, I see it now :D

I had a hard time finding it hiding next to that gorgeous 1950's King Seeley (Craftsman) 10" cabinet saw and the like vintage 6" King Seeley jointer! Nice job on the restore and the mobile base setup is one of the best I've seen!

Mike

Oh yea, I keep mine on top of the bis fence.

Jeff Miller
04-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Push stick??? :confused:

Oh, I see it now :D

I had a hard time finding it hiding next to that gorgeous 1950's King Seeley (Craftsman) 10" cabinet saw and the like vintage 6" King Seeley jointer! Nice job on the restore and the mobile base setup is one of the best I've seen!

Mike

Oh yea, I keep mine on top of the bis fence.

Mike Thank you for your complement . That's one of the only pics. I have of of the push stick so the saw and jointer went with it. the saw and the jointer did turn out out nice with a lot work and the price was right $100.00 for the table saw $80.00 for the jointer. They both pass the nickel test easy. Heres a better shot of the jointer.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/jointer/router091.jpg

Michael Lutz
04-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Well my push stick is normally kept under the pile of accumulated debris on the closest workbench or so it seems. When I build the cabinet under the saw extension table it will have a home.

Mike

Ken Milhinch
04-20-2007, 6:23 AM
Actually, I was never comfortable with a push stick on the table saw, and since buying some Grippers, I have relegated the push stick to the shaper and sometimes the bandsaw.

Rich Engelhardt
04-20-2007, 6:59 AM
Hello,
Bib overalls rock!
There's a slick little long pocket on each leg.
Holds a push stick real nice.

Dennis Putnam
04-20-2007, 8:09 AM
Where else?

Over there by the thingy, under that whatcha. Sheesh!

Joe
That's me too. I keep mine right over ... well it must be over ... I know i put it ... Anyway its time for supper.

Phil Pritchard
04-20-2007, 8:17 AM
I keep mine in a slide-on pockey atop the crown guard - this is a standard feature on all Altendorf sliders and I'm thinking about putting similar devices on the other saws. Unlike when it's on the rip fence there's no potentially long reach to get to it and access isn't blocked by the slider or sheet materials (a problem if you hang it at the front or left side of a slider). It works well there

Phil

Clint Winterhalter
04-20-2007, 10:15 AM
On the fence until I need it... Then Poof.. Its gone.
Its reappears on the fence, once it's no longer needed
Some how it just KNOWS when to disappear!

Ken Shoemaker
04-20-2007, 6:22 PM
Never felt the need to use'em... Stumps ;)

Mark Engel
04-20-2007, 6:59 PM
All of my 'stuff', including push sticks goes into a drawer I added to the side table.

http://www.truckblog.com/gallery/Mark05KR/28666.JPG

Alan Tolchinsky
04-20-2007, 9:40 PM
Hey Mark,

What's all that pvc under your saw? I'm guessing an emergency shut off switch? Right? Or is it for water cooling your blade? :) Very novel if it's the shut off switch. Alan

Dave Hale
04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Bench Dog Push Stick slides right into the Incra fence.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62917&d=1177127090
(http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62917&d=1177127090)

Doug Shepard
04-21-2007, 8:02 AM
Since getting a Gripper a while back, I haven't been using push sticks on the TS all that much. But when I do, it's usually mounted in this here handy holder.:eek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53627&d=1167332765

Mark Engel
04-21-2007, 9:03 AM
Hey Mark,

What's all that pvc under your saw? I'm guessing an emergency shut off switch? Right? Or is it for water cooling your blade? :) Very novel if it's the shut off switch. Alan

It is an off switch for the saw. I don't work fast enough to require a water cooling system, yet. :)

With this setup I can turn off the saw from anywhere along the front by simply flexing my knee forward. I can keep my hands and eyes on the blade and the workpiece. It comes in real handy if I bind something between the blade and fence, etc.