PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry

Mark Cothren
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
This hollow form is 8" wide and 7" tall. Walls are ~1/8". It has an antique oil finish on it. This is a chunk from a big ol' Black Cherry that my father-in-law took down on his farm after some major ice damage. This particular piece came from the stump section.

All comments welcomed.

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Mark that is beautiful. I really like the collar. Is it burnt or what. Nice job.

Keith Burns
04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Dang Mark, that is sweet !! I honestly don't see anything I don't like!!

Mark Cothren
04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Yep, forgot to mention that. It is burned around the opening.

Nancy Laird
04-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Now you guys stop that!!!!:mad: Between Mark, Keith, Travis, Jim, and all the rest of the turners on this board, I'm running out of adjectives to convey how beautiful, gorgeous, exquisite, stupendous, spectacular, and just plain pretty all of these pieces are.:rolleyes:

Mark, although I like:) - no, love:D - your NE bowls, I like this one SO MUCH better.:D :D The grain in this piece is lovely, and the burning around the opening is so simple, yet adds so much to the visual impact.

Can you tell I like it!!???

Nancy
P.S. Next time I'm through Conway, I'm coming to see you too!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Mark.....Nancy left out Stunning!.....and Stunning that piece is! That burning looks like stiching holding the whole thing together! Simply stunning! Another Cothren!

Steve Schlumpf
04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Mark, love the form! Great color, finish and also love the burned detail at the lip! Favorite part of this piece is the grian orientation - great work!

Nancy Laird
04-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Mark.....Nancy left out Stunning!.....and Stunning that piece is! That burning looks like stiching holding the whole thing together! Simply stunning! Another Cothren!

Sorry, Ken:rolleyes: . I didn't have my thesaurus handy:p :D .

Nancy

Jim Becker
04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Mark, really sweet! You have a gift....

Jonathon Spafford
04-19-2007, 1:31 AM
Another beautiful piece, Mark!!!! That grain is great (black cherry is one of my favorites), the full shape is wonderful, and that burned rim just makes the piece! You have an awesome talent!

Doug M Jones
04-19-2007, 5:44 AM
When I grow up, I wanna be just like Mark!:D

The piece is fantastic, you give us beginners a benchmark to shoot for.

Thanks for posting

Christopher K. Hartley
04-19-2007, 6:23 AM
Mark, This is a wonderful piece with beautiful wood and I too love the collar. Great Job!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-19-2007, 6:30 AM
Now you guys stop that!!!!:mad: Between Mark, Keith, Travis, Jim, and all the rest of the turners on this board, I'm running out of adjectives to convey how beautiful, gorgeous, exquisite, stupendous, spectacular, and just plain pretty all of these pieces are.:rolleyes:

Mark, although I like:) - no, love:D - your NE bowls, I like this one SO MUCH better.:D :D The grain in this piece is lovely, and the burning around the opening is so simple, yet adds so much to the visual impact.

Can you tell I like it!!???

Nancy
P.S. Next time I'm through Conway, I'm coming to see you too!!
If you really want to tell him how much you like it then turn one so that he can give you a critique. Nothing says, "I appreciate", like working hard to emulate what your mentor has shown. :D :D Besides, we're all anxious to see.:)

George Tokarev
04-19-2007, 7:00 AM
Classic form and the rim adds counterpoint without distraction. Pretty indeed.

Gary Herrmann
04-19-2007, 8:25 AM
Great shape to the form and I really like the contrast of the rim.

jeremy levine
04-19-2007, 8:30 AM
Wow, and it was found wood. Just great, nicetone in the wood , nice grain and great pyro.

Mark Pruitt
04-19-2007, 8:56 AM
Mark,
Extremely nice piece! Gee, I keep wondering how long I will need to practice practice practice before I even begin to approach that! And what blows me away even more is that you so consistently crank out stuff like this. Wow!

Dominic Greco
04-19-2007, 9:24 AM
Mark,
Well done! I really like the shape and finish. But the collar really accents the piece perfectly!

Nancy Laird
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
If you really want to tell him how much you like it then turn one so that he can give you a critique. Nothing says, "I appreciate", like working hard to emulate what your mentor has shown. :D :D Besides, we're all anxious to see.:)

Darn it, Chris, you're just not gonna give up, are you?:o I'm getting there, I'm getting there. As I told you before, time is my enemy though. I had all sorts of plans for the coming weekend, and they've been blown by some other stuff.:mad: I'm not sure I'll even get to the lathe this weekend.:(

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
04-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Beautiful form and total piece Mark.!!! I like that. ALOT!!!! :D

Ed Scolforo
04-19-2007, 1:22 PM
Mark, I see perfection!

Joseph Peacock
04-19-2007, 8:01 PM
Mr.Mark I think it looks what Dad said.:cool: :rolleyes:
Beautiful form and total piece Mark.!!! I like that. ALOT!!!! :D

Ron Journeau
04-19-2007, 8:34 PM
think I'll go back to doing crosswords, 'cause I ain't never gunna get anything like that coming outta my shop... it has ..presence

Christopher K. Hartley
04-19-2007, 8:56 PM
Darn it, Chris, you're just not gonna give up, are you?:o I'm getting there, I'm getting there. As I told you before, time is my enemy though. I had all sorts of plans for the coming weekend, and they've been blown by some other stuff.:mad: I'm not sure I'll even get to the lathe this weekend.:(

Nancy
Color me Patient..Persistant and a PEST!!:D :D :) :p

Tom Sherman
04-19-2007, 9:12 PM
Mark you have the bar raised another notch, great work and beautiful wood.

Neal Addy
04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Spectabulous! Beautimous piece, Mark!

Glenn Hodges
04-20-2007, 9:02 AM
Mark, I would like to thank you for letting me see this beauty.

Jim Ketron
04-20-2007, 6:21 PM
Love the form Mark and a beautiful piece of Cherry you used.
Makes me want to go to the shop and turn when i see a piece like this!
Beautiful Job!