PDA

View Full Version : cabinet and drawer locks basics

Tom Gattiker
12-29-2003, 9:20 AM
I am thinking of installing a lock on the drawer or cabinet door of a piece I am making. Started looking in some catalogs and --as with most other furniture components-- the options are a bit overwhelming. Can someone provide the "lay of the land?" For example, mortise vs surface mounted, "straight cupboard lock" vs "cut cuboard lock."

Incidentally, I think this would be a good topic for an article somewhere

Thanks

Dennis McDonaugh
12-29-2003, 8:05 PM
I am thinking of installing a lock on the drawer or cabinet door of a piece I am making. Started looking in some catalogs and --as with most other furniture components-- the options are a bit overwhelming. Can someone provide the "lay of the land?" For example, mortise vs surface mounted, "straight cupboard lock" vs "cut cuboard lock."

Incidentally, I think this would be a good topic for an article somewhere

Thanks

Well Tom, I'm no expert, but I have installed a few locks and the half mortise locks are easier to install, but I really like the look of the full mortise locks better. With the half mortise lock, you see the metal back of the lock on the inside of the drawer or door. With a full mortise lock, the lock is completely enclosed in the wood. I use a hollow chisel mortiser to install the full mortise locks and a drill press and forstner bit for the half mortise. You still have to do some cleaning up, but its pretty easy. I'm not famaliar with a cupboard lock or a cut cupboard lock so you're on your own there. Good luck.

Tom Gattiker
12-30-2003, 9:08 AM
...that helps. THe terms "straight" and "cut" are from the lee valley hardware catalog. Maybe they are canadian terms or something.