PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cut Parts for Incra TS-LS to Fit Sawstop

Homer Faucett
04-18-2007, 9:29 PM
Just an FYI, while Incra and all other resellers will tell you that the fence and floating base for the TS-LS need to be custom cut to fit the Sawstop due to its larger table surface, I have not found this to be the case.

By simply placing the brackets that hold the rails in the inside of the table, you can make it work with the standard parts. The floating base is a tight fit, and would probably be better suited to be replaced, but it isn't necessary in my experience. That was good news to me, and let me use the saw with the new fence this past weekend.

Don Bullock
04-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the information Homer. While it's too late for me (waiting for Incra to ship my custom fence) perhaps others will try what you did. Do you have pictures?

Homer Faucett
04-19-2007, 7:50 AM
I will try to take some this weekend. One thing that I did notice was that the positioner brackets that slide on the rails do not sit exactly as shown in the instruction manual. The instructions recommend that you mount the rails at a height dictated by clamping the positioner brackets and rails. If I had done that, the rails would have been in the way of the miter slot. I'm thinking that I will put some UHMW "shims" under the sliding positioner brackets to bring it up to the right height. For now, I just have the positioner brackets locked so that they ride a little high in relation to the rails.

Don Bullock
04-19-2007, 9:40 AM
... One thing that I did notice was that the positioner brackets that slide on the rails do not sit exactly as shown in the instruction manual. The instructions recommend that you mount the rails at a height dictated by clamping the positioner brackets and rails. If I had done that, the rails would have been in the way of the miter slot. ...Bold added by poster.

I sure hope that isn't a problem with the custom Incra that I ordered. No one else seems to have mentioned that as a problem. I was planning to make a crosscut sled as soon as possible. I'll need to use both miter slots for it. If it is a problem I guess I'll have to take of the Incra positioner when I do crosscuts.

Dave Hale
04-19-2007, 9:42 AM
I paid the extra for the 'fitted' Incra setup for my SS. No blockage of the miter slots.

Don Bullock
04-19-2007, 9:48 AM
Thanks David. I'm still waiting for my Incra to arrive.

Homer Faucett
04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I paid the extra for the 'fitted' Incra setup for my SS. No blockage of the miter slots.

Guys, the "fitted" versus "unfitted" kit makes no difference with regard to this issue. The only difference with the "fitted" version is that you get (1) a longer fence (the aluminum extrusion that sits parallel to the blade) and (2) a longer base support panel. Everything else is identical.

The only possibilities that would make my setup any different is if (1) I got a Sawstop with deeper than normal miter slots (possible) (2) the TS-LS base clamps I got had a shallower than normal "bend" to them, or (3) the adhesive glide pad sent with my saw was not thick enough.

If you look at Figure 4 of the instruction manual, it shows that you clamp the base clamps to the table top to find the proper height for adjusting your mounting bracket (and therefore, your rail) height. If I had done this, my rail would have been above the bottom of the miter slot, thereby blocking the miter slot opening. So, I moved the mounting brackets and rails to a position to give me about 1/8" clearance between the bottom of the miter slot and the top of the rails, but this does not allow the mounting bracket to glide against the rails, as the bracket is slightly above the rails and glides on the table top.

Dave Hale
04-19-2007, 4:24 PM
OK. I understanding what you're saying. I'll have to do some 'measuring' and pictures 'cause I sure don't have that problem, but I agree the Incra 'SS' didn't change the bracket/rail/table top relationship. I won't be able to do it until Friday night, so be patient. Bracket size/depth shouldn't make a difference, because the bracket is the sliding portion to make the adjustment. Maybe you have the rails turned (rotated) incorrectly? They're not perfectly square, I think, but 3 out of the 4 sides are about the same from a 'slot' perspective. The offset slot faces the table itself.

Dave Hale
04-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Homer,

OK, took a look tonight and it's very close to the miter slot. Using a straightedge, I tried to measure the gap from the bottom of the miter slot to the top of the rail. 5 pieces of paper was all I could get under it. With a digital caliper it looks to be around .09 of an inch. Not much room at all. I use an Incra Miter 1000SE, so only the front of the miter gauge has the slot, the rest of the bar has no 'T'. Inserting the miter gauge is done by tilting the back up. I agree with your assessment that the miter slot is ground lower than mine.
I'm attaching some pics that show the height of the bracket to the top of the saw.

The 2nd pic is trying to showing the small, small gap between the miter slot bottom and the rail's top.

I really didn't think the gap was so small since I've never 'hit' the rail. My apologies for doubting you.

I'd call Incra and ask for more of the rail pad. Maybe one on each side is all you'd need.

Homer Faucett
04-21-2007, 6:49 AM
Thanks, Dave. If the stock miter gauge did not have the flattened portion that fit into the bottom of the miter slot, it probably would not be so noticeable as to how close the rails are to the bottom of the slot. I have attached a few pictures for the picture police, and to show how I modified the installation to allow the standard fence and mounting base to fit on the Sawstop.

Here is the overall picture of the Incra setup on my SS. Nothing all that spectacular, just a great saw with a great fence. I am very happy with both, after using the saw for a month and the Incra fence for a week.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/hfaucett/IncraSS.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/hfaucett/IncraCloseup.jpg

As you can see, I mounted the brackets on the inside of the saw to save me a few inches, which works out perfectly. The rails almost touch the bolt heads, but not quite.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/hfaucett/IncraRail.jpg

As you can see, even with the rails dropped a bit, there is very little space between the miter slot and the rails--it's a tight fit, just like Dave's.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/hfaucett/incraPos.jpg

If you look closely at the last picture of the positioner, you can see that the mounting base is just barely large enough even with this modified installation. Hopefully this will give some others some good ideas. My alternate mounting technique was performed primarily because (1) Amazon won't sell the upgrade parts (and I got a killer deal on this at $272 delivered), and (2) I'm too impatient to order upgrade parts.

For what it's worth, I do believe that you could easily make the "floating tables" concept work with the Incra system.

Don Bullock
04-21-2007, 9:54 AM
Dave and Homer, thanks for the pictures and information. My Incra packages all came last night (I have a late UPS delivery) and I'll be installing it this week. I can't wait to start cutting wood! Yes, picture police, I will post pictures of my first cut with the new saw and fence.;) :D

Homer Faucett
04-21-2007, 2:37 PM
Dave and Homer, thanks for the pictures and information. My Incra packages all came last night (I have a late UPS delivery) and I'll be installing it this week. I can't wait to start cutting wood! Yes, picture police, I will post pictures of my first cut with the new saw and fence.;) :D

Well, I'm sure you spent all last night watching the instructional video like I did when mine came in. :D I found it a good way to sit down, spend some time on the couch making sub-assemblies and checking to make sure I had all the parts (it was also 20 degrees that night in the barn, so no real motivation to go out and rip off the 'old' Unifence).

Everything went together pretty nicely, and it's not really very complicated. The instructions are great. Good luck with yours, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Personally, I'm glad I got this instead of the T-glide, although I was worried I might be disappointed in it versus the Bies/T-glide.

Don Bullock
04-21-2007, 4:08 PM
Actually I watched the NASCAR race. Since I got home from the dog show today earlier than I had hoped (didn't win Best of Breed today} I thought I'd get started this afternoon before the Nextell Cup race. I forgot that there is a video. Thanks for the reminder.

Don Bullock
04-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Well, it's installed.

See: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56593

There was no problem with the miter slot.

There is quite a bit of overhang on the positioner bridge ends on mine.

Something I did like was the extra long fence. Dan, is your fence this long too?

Anyway, thanks for the help. Enjoy.:D