PDA

View Full Version : Chisels

Joel Goodman
04-18-2007, 9:04 PM
I'm thinking of adding some better chisels to my basic set of Marples plastic handled bevel chisels. I was planning on getting a 3/8th and a 5/8th to fill in and to try out some better chisels. The Ashley Iles seem to get a good report here. Here's my question: Should I get the standard length or the "American Pattern" shorter chisels -- or 3/8ths one length and 5/8th the other? If so which length would you get for which chisel? I plan to buy them from Tools for Working Wood, but am in California so I can't stop in to try them out. I plan to use them for dovetails. Thanks in advance for the guidance from the Creek!

Joel

Joel Moskowitz
04-18-2007, 9:18 PM
it depends on what fits your hand. take your best bet and get what you think will fit and if you don't like them return them (we always pay return postage). You can't really be sure until you have them in your hand.

joel
tools for working wood

jonathan snyder
04-19-2007, 1:45 AM
Joel G,

You cant beat Joel M's offer! I have the American pattern on order with Joel. They have been back ordered for a while, but I have the 1/8" and understand that the 1/4,3/8 & 1/2 have shipped. I'm looking forward to test driving them.

Jonathan

Robert Rozaieski
04-19-2007, 9:39 AM
I totally agree with Joel M. that you should try both to see what you like best. Everyone's hands are different and in my opinion, comfort and fit are the most important thing with chisels.

I will offer one thought. The "American Pattern" are basically butt chisels, i.e. they are relatively short compared to a typical bench chisel. If you just want to chop with them they would be great but if you use one set of chisels for chopping and paring (like I do), then the longer one might fit the application better. Again, this is just my experience and I definately recommend trying both for yourself to see what you prefer since ultimately they have to be the best fit for you.

I have the A.I. chisels and definately recommend them.

Doug Littlejohn
04-19-2007, 4:48 PM
Joel made, you just can't hope for better. I have a set of the standard length ones and I really like them. I have smaller hands, but have found these to be quite comfortable in my hands.

And boy oh boy, they work really well.

Enjoy !!