PDA

View Full Version : Creating Rope Molding

Dennis Brockway
04-18-2007, 3:45 PM
I am wondering if anyone has any experience making rope molding?

To my knowlegde, there are two wasy to accomplish this:
1. Utilizing an ornamental mill with a router ; and
2. using an hot embossing machine.

I am curious to know if anyone has tried making it with a modified theading die used to make threads in round stock. My thought was to modify the threads in a thread die to the desired shape of rope molding. If not, could someone tell me why this approach would not work?

Dennis Brockway

Paul Engle
04-18-2007, 4:06 PM
Dennis , I made rope molding for my hot tub roof cover using an electric chain saw, and have used small file for knife blades. ( then sanding the posts w/ orbital / detail sander. for smaller stuff tho , router on lathe w/ lead screw type attachment is about the only way I know of other than with hand chisels:eek: .

Dennis Brockway
04-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Dennis , I made rope molding for my hot tub roof cover using an electric chain saw, and have used small file for knife blades. ( then sanding the posts w/ orbital / detail sander. for smaller stuff tho , router on lathe w/ lead screw type attachment is about the only way I know of other than with hand chisels:eek: .
Thanks Paul and God Bless.

Dennis

Richard Madison
04-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Dennis,
Your thread die idea should be technically feasible, as what you suggest is simply cutting a thread with a rounded profile (if I understand your question correctly), instead of a "V-shaped" profile. However the cost of having such a "thread die" made might tend to reduce one's interest in the idea.