PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....Pics

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2003, 2:29 AM
Well another weekend has come and gone and I get to go back oncall at "work" tomorrow morning....err....this morning......

I spent a lot of time in the shop this weekend. I finishes my oldest sons chest-of-drawers and I am including a couple of pics here. It is made of Birch Plywood and Poplar. Finish is Watco Natural Danish Oil and Amber Shellac. This sides are "fake" panels wrapped in Cherry.

Now I am working on the "middle" sons chest-of-drawer and started it today. I am also posting a pic or two of the Playing Card Box that I made for a lady at work for a Christmas present to her FIL. The last pic or two is my new "tool drawer". I am now using the "old" chest that my oldest son had and have turned it into a tool chest. I got the foam from work and cut it on the BS. The rollers in the last pic is some old government type writer rollers that I got for FREE. I got nine of these babys and I made a removable outfeed roller bed. Remove 4 screws and these come off the bench for storage. They work GREAT. I have about $3 in this whole outfeed roller setup. I can even take one and mount it on a stand for a protable roller stand. Works really good.!!!

So what all did you do this weekend.?

Best of weeks.....

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2003, 2:31 AM
Here is the pic of the outfeed rollers I made.

Tyler Howell
12-29-2003, 6:56 AM
You do it all Dennis, A weekend well spent.

Dick Parr
12-29-2003, 7:36 AM
Very nice Dennis, It looks like you spent some good time in the shop this weekend. :)

Now that the lighthouse is done, I got to spend some time on the cabinet for the wife. I got it sanded and stained. I hope to put the finish on this week. Here are a couple pictures of what it looks like so far. I am going to finish it with a semi gloss poly because it is going to get some abuse, being that it’s a storage cabinet for small appliances.

Mike Evertsen
12-29-2003, 9:06 AM
Dennis,,did you use drawer slides or wood runners???
the color and the flat panel sides look great,,,,

Jim Becker
12-29-2003, 9:09 AM
Geepers, Dennis...you need to have more time in the shop! Those are great projects. I really like the frame and panel construction you did on the dressers and the nice inlay in the box.

As to my weekend in the shop...it was short. Sunday. Saturday was spent mostly in the Orlando Airport waiting for a late airplane. At least the club was near the gate and there was no problem upgrading. What I did get done in the shop yesterday was completing the picture frames I started prior to the holiday and getting them ready to hang. I also got two more thin coats of shellac padded on the walnut table/bench and should get that "finished" today and in the house. Oh, and there was that purple heart turning with fangs...

Happy New Year!

Bob Lasley
12-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Good morning Dennis,

Chest looks great! I like the card box as well. You are getting to be a real whiz at inlay work!

I tried to stay out of the shop as much as possible this weekend and give LOML some time, however, I did whip out a couple of floor mounted gun racks for a friend to go in his "gun closet".

Have a great week everyone,
Bob

Terry Quiram
12-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Screwed up my back again harvesting this Cedar! :mad: The tree has been down for quite a few years and was at least 36" dia at the butt end. I got the butt end section which was 5' long. The other half is at least 7' long. My friend is going to chain saw carve something from it unless I can talk him out of it. It sure smells good in the shop.

Terry

Bart Leetch
12-29-2003, 12:45 PM
until the 5th of January.

Lots of shop time so I am making a 5' long base cabinet on double locking casters for my Contractor table-saw & Delta Router/Shaper with drawers & a closed in back for dust collection.

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2003, 1:00 PM
Dennis,,did you use drawer slides or wood runners???
the color and the flat panel sides look great,,,,

Hey Mike.....

I used 150 pound rated Full Extension drawer slides on the chest. I bought the slides in a case quantity for $5 per pair (15 pair per case). They are ball bearing slides and work GREAT. The local BB store had the same "type" slides for $18 per pair........I done my homework and found them for the $5 per pair price.

The next and LAST chest for the boys will be finished with Watco Honey Oak Danish Oil and Blonde Shellac........It's a tossup between shellac or lacquer....I really like them both......Since using shellac and lacquer, I have come to greatly dislike Poly as a finish......

Scott Coffelt
12-29-2003, 10:59 PM
I have painted and moved the main towers and bridges into place. I ordered glass for the doors today and should have tomorrow. I am finishing up painting the doors and drawer fronts. I hope to have everything assembled tomorrow and will post a final picture.