PDA

View Full Version : Gun Stock Finish...

Tim Brooks
04-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I posted this in the finishing thread but there are not many people so I thought I would ask here too.

What is a good product for refinishing a gun stock?

Thanks in advance for the input.

rodney mitchell
04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil is great stuff and simple to use.

Rodney

Eugene A. Manzo III
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
It's not much help but brought back a memory. When I was like 12 years old I decided to refinish my Fathers 30-30 rifle. Maybe I should have asked him? Well I took a piece of glass and scraped all the finish of and sanded it down and applied some linseed oil wich never dried. My God was he mad !!! The only thing that saved me was "It's the thought that counts"

Tony Manzo:cool:

Tim Brooks
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
It's not much help but brought back a memory. When I was like 12 years old I decided to refinish my Fathers 30-30 rifle. Maybe I should have asked him? Well I took a piece of glass and scraped all the finish of and sanded it down and applied some linseed oil wich never dried. My God was he mad !!! The only thing that saved me was "It's the thought that counts"

Tony Manzo:cool:

I can actually relate to your story. I was always doing things like this and not considering the consequences. Oh the pain my rear felt as a result... Your story made me laugh as it too because it brought back memories.

Dick Sylvan
04-18-2007, 12:46 PM
There is a similar product to Tru-Oil that is purported to be very good (it is used by some of the Spanish fine gunmakers) called Lin-Speed. You can get it online from Brownell's. Try both a see which you like best.

Rich Torino
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
another vote for Tru Oil........

Dan Drager
04-18-2007, 1:17 PM
Tru oil is great for most guns and their uses / abuses. For my Duck gun, I used 3 coats of low gloss wipe on poly with a final light rub of 000 steel wool to dull any shine at all. This gun gets very wet and very used. Being banged around in John boats and literally getting soaked, inside and out.

John Timberlake
04-18-2007, 3:07 PM
I have been very satisfied using Water Lox. I used the medium sheen on a shotgun stock that had a poor finish when I bought it. It has worn well. Just had it out last week in the rain and it just beaded up from the water. Wiped it off and good as new.

On another note, I use linseed oil on my flint lock that I use for re-enacting. If it gets banged up, I just put on another coat while I am cleaning it.