PDA

View Full Version : My wife doesn't like bowls.........

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2007, 2:22 AM
That is until tonight. I just finished turned the first normal bowl I've turned probably since September/October when I started filling my wife's Christmas list. I probably should have waited a few more days but I had this roughed out bowl..it'd been DNAd and drying wrapped in newspaper for over 3 weeks.....Guess what kind of wood it is........What kind did I come into recently?...........Anyway, tonight I turned just a functional bowl form........pretty little thing and the wood...........Still need to turn the tenon off it and then last week I ordered some antique oil finish. I'll try that and see how it goes......

With the right wood, my wife likes bowls........she can't wait to see it finished.................Photos will follow when it's finished..........another first in this bowl..........that'll follow too.

Chris Barton
04-18-2007, 7:08 AM
So where's the picture?

Dennis Peacock
04-18-2007, 7:39 AM
Hey Chris....It must be one of those "Invizeebull" bowl pics. :p :D

Bill O'Conner
04-18-2007, 7:42 AM
I think Ken just likes to tease us and see if anybody wants to see a bowl and today he'll go turn one to post later tonight:D :D

Bill

Curt Fuller
04-18-2007, 7:52 AM
Hey Ken, a bowl without a picture is just a bunch of "Bull".;)

steven carter
04-18-2007, 8:34 AM
Ken,

You turned that one so thin I can't see it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2007, 8:36 AM
I'll give you a hint....MAPLE BURL.......looks like butter.......won't hold liquids as one burl part you can see light through........TIGER STIPES......did I mention inclusion?....as in a small area of bark inclusion on the bottom?............ I'd turned kiln dried maple before but never ANYTHING like this. My wife thought it was finished. I can't wait to try that antique oil on it or should I put oil on it? I'm not sure how to finish it.....BTW BIll Grumbine's video and his vertical shear scrape....shear magic! Got rid of my tear out!

Picture this! Just a plain utility bowl shape in maple burl with some stripes in it, incusions...burl.....And the idiot who turned it ain't sure how to finish it or if it needs finishing at all! Pretty little thing in this idiots' humble opinion.:D

Mark Pruitt
04-18-2007, 8:41 AM
Ken, tell your wife to hand that bowl back to you long enough to photo it.:p

Bob Hallowell
04-18-2007, 8:43 AM
Ken, Can't wait to see it. I use Bill's vertical shear all the time.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2007, 9:43 AM
What tear out and on what bowl Fitz?????????:confused: Don't see a thing.:cool: :rolleyes: ;) Antique oil on what?????????????

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2007, 9:44 AM
I got tired of all the harrassment and whining.....Keep in mind it's not finished.....I need to turn off the tenon and finish the bottom.....Maple burl utility bowl. The wood is so dense that just sanding my wife thought it was finished ...size probably 6" by 3" wall thickness 3/8"....just a guess.

Better photos when it's finished.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2007, 9:47 AM
I need some recommendations for finishing maple....I've got danish oil....antique oil.......shellac.......Deft ........Thanks!

Nancy Laird
04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Ken, I love the bowl! It's simple and functional, and shows off the wood very well. Finish? Try some natural Moser's to pop the grain, then Deft. Just MHO. Anything more will be gilding the lily!

Nancy

George Tokarev
04-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I need some recommendations for finishing maple....I've got danish oil....antique oil.......shellac.......Deft ........Thanks!

How white do you want it? If as white as possible, something water-based is cold. Lacquer, if you can spray it, followed by shellac (ultra blonde) and then down into the other oil-based things. Linseed's darker than soy which is darker than tung, so take a piece of the scrap, sand to the same degree of burnish and test them out.

That little piece of soft maple unnatural edge I made yesterday is shellac only, will be coated a few more and polished. I always have the option of dulling the surface back with some wax.

Good start. Maple's a very forgiving wood unless highly figured, isn't it? One thing I've discovered is that starting at anything coarser than 150 makes more of a mess than it's worth. Why I like the bevel-supported cut over a scrape for preparing a fair surface.

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Depends Ken if it is decoration or for kitchen use. If for Kitchen use I would use walnut oil and buffed with carnuba wax or I use the General Finishes Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal. The kids just used their salad bowl set finish with General finishes and the boy said they were awesome. Cleaned up nice.

If decoration I would use lacquer myself. I wonder if Antique Oil will darken the maple?

Kaptan J.W. Meek
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I used the Minwax "Natural" stain with Deft sprayed on over that on my Maple Burl. It gives it a great gold tone, and brings out the what little grain maple has...BTW, Nice looking bowl ...