PDA

View Full Version : Tool Chest Pics

Bob Lasley
12-28-2003, 10:40 PM
Here are pics of the tool chest I made my son for Christmas. The chest carcase and drawer fronts are red oak. Drawer boxes are maple with baltic birch ply bottoms. Handles are walnut. Finish is garnet shellac rubbet out with Mylands Antique Brown wax. Sorry for the quality of the pics, but they were taken in a hurry just before the gang showed up for Christmas Eve.

Thanks for looking,
Bob

Jim Becker
12-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Beautiful, Bob. That's a really, really nice tool chest and certainly an heirloom!

John Miliunas
12-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Very nice! So, you want to "adopt" a way older son? :D Tell us, are the dovetails hand cut or machined? Really nice detail, regardless. ('Course, seeing as to how I'm setting myself up for a Leigh.... :rolleyes: ) Thanks for the post. I'm positive it's a much appreciated gift! :cool:

Bob Lasley
12-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Very nice! So, you want to "adopt" a way older son? :D Tell us, are the dovetails hand cut or machined? Really nice detail, regardless. ('Course, seeing as to how I'm setting myself up for a Leigh.... :rolleyes: ) Thanks for the post. I'm positive it's a much appreciated gift! :cool:

John,

I would consider adopting such a son if he would support his poor old dad so he didn't have to work and could spend all his time in the shop!

The through dovetails in the case and the half-blinds on the drawers were cut on the Akeda jig. Sliding dovetails were cut on the router table.

Thanks for the kind words.

Bob

Terry Hatfield
12-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Bob,

Oooooooo...I really like that. I'll take one when you have time. :D Bet he was proud of it and you.

t

Mark Singer
12-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Great job Bob!
Mark

Ace Karner
12-29-2003, 12:25 AM
I sure good use something that nice to store all my neander tools.

Really nice work Bob.

ace

Rob Littleton
12-29-2003, 12:41 AM
When i grow up in woodworking, i hope to turn out something this nice. Still an amatuer but sure love what I do and would really like to make something that quality level.

It is beautiful. Nice job dude.....

David Plaskett
12-29-2003, 12:47 AM
Really nice looking chest Bob.

Todd Burch
12-29-2003, 1:36 AM
Very nice Bob! I'm sure your son will TREASURE that CHEST!

Todd.

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2003, 1:53 AM
Really nice Bob..!!!! It's so super that, like Terry, I'm putting in my order for one...!!!! ;)

Very, very nice Bob.....congrats on a job well done.

Julie Wright
12-29-2003, 6:36 AM
Very Nice Bob,
So would you like to adopt a daughter? I'll let you use the shop? thanks for sharing

Tyler Howell
12-29-2003, 6:51 AM
Too Cool. It's all been said already.

TJH

Ed Snyder
12-29-2003, 6:57 AM
Here are pics of the tool chest I made my son for Christmas. The chest carcase and drawer fronts are red oak. Drawer boxes are maple with baltic birch ply bottoms. Handles are walnut. Finish is garnet shellac rubbet out with Mylands Antique Brown wax. Sorry for the quality of the pics, but they were taken in a hurry just before the gang showed up for Christmas Eve.

Thanks for looking,
Bob

Bob

What Are the overall dimensions

Thanks
Ed

Dick Parr
12-29-2003, 7:22 AM
Very Nice Bob!
You sure have a way with wood :cool:

Glenn Clabo
12-29-2003, 7:50 AM
Hey Dad...it's your long lost son Glenn! I'm sure you remember me...right? That's a really sweet chest.

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-29-2003, 8:35 AM
Bob, that is one BEAUTIFUL Tool Chest! That thing belongs on top of your Son's Dresser or in the living room. That is just too nice to be used for Tools. Excellent attention to detail, and the fit and finish are second to none. VERY nice indeed! Thanks so much for sharing it with us..........cool project! :D

Dave Anderson NH
12-29-2003, 8:54 AM
THere's something about wooden tool chests which makes them so much nicer than the metal jobs. I'm sure your son will treasure for all the years to come. It's just the thing for storing measuring and marking tools. Fantastic job!!

Jerry Todd
12-29-2003, 9:27 AM
Bob, All I can say is WOW! OUTSTANDING!
Jerry

Terry Quiram
12-29-2003, 9:51 AM
Dang it Bob!!!!! I have a hard enough time staying focused in the shop. Now I want to build one of these. Thanks (I guess :D ) for posting. It really looks great.

Terry

Bob Lasley
12-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Bob

What Are the overall dimensions

Thanks
Ed

Ed,

Dimensions are approximately 26" long by 16" high by 12" deep.

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Bob, great looking box! Thanks for sharing.

David Rose
12-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Bob, you just can't do anything half-heartedly can you? :p Are you interested in trading for an original Gerstner? Just kidding. The couple I have are to be mine til death as they were gifts from an old machinist friend. But seriously, I think I would MUCH rather have (one of) yours! But I don't know if you will live long enough to complete all the orders so far. :D

David

Scott Neblung
12-30-2003, 10:18 AM
That is just plain awesome looking !!!

I just saved it's pic as inspiration for building one someday.

Glad you posted those dimensions....its looks alot bigger than that in the first pic.

Again....sweel chest....your son should be proud to have it !

Scott

Mike Kelly
12-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Bob, that is real nice work. If you get a chance to take more detail pictures, can you show us the drawer slide detail? Beautiful chest!

Doug Littlejohn
12-30-2003, 7:19 PM
Major nice job!! Did you come up with the plans yourself or did the basic plans come from somewhere elese?

What a legacy for a son to receive. Bet it goes to succeeding generations from now one.

Sherwood.

Jeff Cybulski
12-30-2003, 9:25 PM
Great Work Bob!! I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

Happy Holiday's
Jeff

Bob Lasley
12-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind words folks.

Mike,
If I can remember to take the digital with me next time I go to my son's place, I'll take some more pics. The slides are really pretty simple, sliding dovetails cut into the carcase, a piece of maple to fit the dovetail and a groove routed in the side of the drawer to slide on the maple.

Doug,
I looked at plans and articles in past issues of various mags for ideas and then designed my own. I seldom work from other's plans. May be why I have so many disappointments, but I have alot of fun getting disappointed.

David,
The toolchest I keep my bits, mikes, calipers, etc. in, is one my dad made back in the thirties when he was a young machinist in the Mare Island ship yards in California. He made it out of orange crates. It is one of my most prized possesions and needs to be retired to a place of honor.

Thanks again,
Bob

Gene Collison
12-31-2003, 6:17 PM

Thanks for looking,

Wow, I love it, beautiful craftsmanship!!

Gene