PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I promised Mark

Stephen Stokes
04-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Here is the chair that Mark referred to in his response to my post about visiting him. I made this chair for my neice for her wedding. It is not a design of mine, rather a copy of the famous Maloof chair. I will take more detailed pictures as I finish the 2nd chair that I am making for my wife. I started two at the same time, in case I messed one up I could still finish the one for as a wedding gift!

I used the pictures from Maloof's books and made full size sketches from there. Maloof's will always have a better line, but I think I did okay?! :confused: What do you think??

jonathan snyder
04-18-2007, 1:17 AM
I think you did a fine job!! That is awesome.

Jonathan

Tom Cowie
04-18-2007, 2:10 AM
Anyone that can build chairs to this quality is a pro on my list..

Great job!!

Tom

Jack Ferrell
04-18-2007, 2:33 AM
It's easy to see why Mark was impressed with your work. I certainly am.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2007, 2:36 AM
Stephen..........It's hard to argue with Mark! And why would anyone want to?..........Nicely done chair! Excellent!

John Grossi
04-18-2007, 6:24 AM
Stephen, I think you just wanted us to see that beautiful lawn! Seriously, outstanding job on that chair. I would put you in the "fine craftsman" category. Being pretty new to this woodworking hobby, could you explain how you approached this project, the time involved, type of wood used. I am guessing a lot of it was hand carved. Again, excellent work.

Brian Penning
04-18-2007, 7:19 AM
I'm a big fan of Maloof and it looks like you did a fantastic job.
What kind of wood?

Aaron Beaver
04-18-2007, 7:23 AM
Awesome work, just a great looking chair.

Roy McQuay
04-18-2007, 9:08 AM
That is beautiful. I hope I live long enough to do work like that.

Don Bullock
04-18-2007, 9:25 AM
Anyone that can build chairs to this quality is a pro on my list..

Great job!!

Tom

Tom, I fully agree!! It also takes a lot of talent to build chairs that look this good.

Stephen, that chair is beautiful. Your lines are very smooth and your use of the grain pattern are excellent. I'm sure your daughter will cherish her new chair. I will be interested in seeing the detail work as you share your wife's chair.

Roy Wall
04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Stephen,

Welcome to SMC! Your chair is beautiful .

I'd like to know more about the joint details for the seat (front / back).

Great stuff!

Peter Pedisich
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Stephen, thats a great looking chair.
Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Frank Snyder
04-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Very impressive! How many hours did this project take you?

Rich Torino
04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Just wonderful work. My hat's off to anyone who makes chairs...

Alan Greene
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Great job on the chair. Your niece will be proud to use it during her wedding.

John Shuk
04-18-2007, 4:58 PM
That is a wonderful chair.

Mike Heidrick
04-18-2007, 6:03 PM
Great chair. Looks beautiful.

BUT

Wedding present - two people get married - one chair? Doubt they will use it as an actual chair anyway - too beautiful for that.

Zahid Naqvi
04-18-2007, 6:15 PM
You did better than ok, you did a wondeful job.

Joe Jensen
04-18-2007, 6:30 PM
Here is the chair that Mark referred to in his response to my post about visiting him. I made this chair for my neice for her wedding. It is not a design of mine, rather a copy of the famous Maloof chair. I will take more detailed pictures as I finish the 2nd chair that I am making for my wife. I started two at the same time, in case I messed one up I could still finish the one for as a wedding gift!

I used the pictures from Maloof's books and made full size sketches from there. Maloof's will always have a better line, but I think I did okay?! :confused: What do you think??

I love them. I've always wanted to build them but I've been intimidated. How long do you think it would take to build a set of 8?

Kyle Stiefel
04-18-2007, 6:58 PM
What a wonderful gift, I am sure they will treasure it!

Jim Becker
04-18-2007, 7:23 PM
Wonderful work!

Richard M. Wolfe
04-18-2007, 7:37 PM
Beautiful work, Stephen. What comes to mind is what an elderly neighbor used as a compliment, "Ain't no flies gonna sit on that." :p

Hans Braul
04-18-2007, 9:55 PM
I have been trying to work up the courage to make my first chair. You are inspiring me. Wonderful work, beautiful wood, great craftsmanship and an eye for form.

Well done!

Hans Braul

Stephen Stokes
04-19-2007, 12:19 AM
:) :) Thank you all for your kind comments!

I can not remember the exact details of how long it took to build the chair. That being said, I could probably go faster on my next one. The chair is made of cherry. I started with 12/4 cherry. I started with the Maloof books and sketched a full size drawing by eye and a lot of measurements of existing chairs. My wife sit in a lot of chairs that I measured to get the proporstions correct. Especially the arms. I was very concerned that the back of the arms would interfere with the elbow. In the end, I was able to work out the proportions to prevent the elbow from hitting the arm when resting.

As for time to build. It would be a guess, but I think around 200 hours. I used the Maloof style joint to join the legs to the seat. The seat was drawn by feel. I used proportions of chairs that we use regularly. The shaping was done with an angle grinder with 34 grit sandpaper, dremel, rasps, random orbital sanders and a power carver.

The key to making work like this is breaking it down into managable steps. All projects can seem overwhelming when you start, but when you break it down into doable steps, it just becomes a series of tasks. Think of building a house, it is overwhelming, but when you break it down into the trades it becomes much more managable. Projects such as chairs are no different.

Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope to finish the second chair this summer. I will post pictures as I complete it.

S Stokes