PDA

View Full Version : My bowl...

Joseph Peacock
04-17-2007, 11:12 PM
This boul is 6-7/8" wide and 3" tall. It is finnished with two coats of buffed antique oil. Wall thickness is 3/16". It is maple that my dad let's me turn since I am just learning. So what do you think? ;) :D :cool:

Ben Werner
04-17-2007, 11:14 PM
I would say it looks... well.... blue... just like the color of the forum colors actually...:eek::p no picture in other words...
dont worry... we've all been there done that!

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Joseph ya did good. I really like the simple form and your finish. Your doing good. Keep it up. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Good job Joseph. :cool:

Dad only helped him with this bowl for about 2 minutes. Joseph did all the work on the bowl including the finish and buffing. I think he's going to make a very good turner and will be able to show dad a thing or two in the not to distant future.

Sheesh...he's already asking for his own "mustard machine". :eek: :D

Neal Addy
04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Nice work, Joseph! That's a beautiful bowl. Go give your Dad some lessons! :D

Neal Addy
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Dennis, he's a chip off the old blockhead. I know you're proud!

Now, go buy him that PM.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Joseph..........You turned a fantastic bowl! In fact, I think you may have just proven for the 2nd time in as many days, that being a good turner is genetic. I think I may have to offer my tools and lathe for sale!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Beautiful job, Joseph. I really like that bowl. But I don't see your signature on the bottom. Better sign it before dad tries to claim it!! (I know he wouldn't do that, but just to be on the safe side.)

Hugs.

Nancy

Joseph Peacock
04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Thank's guys I hope to turn some a little better next time.;) :D :cool:

Zahid Naqvi
04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Joseph, you did great. So when do I come in for my turning lesson.:)

Travis Stinson
04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Way to go Joseph! You may as well take over Dad's PM, so the bearings don't freeze up. ;)

Mark Cothren
04-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Nice bowl, Joseph!!! I bet your mom and dad are proud!

Jonathon Spafford
04-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Wow! That is an impressive first! Looks better than my fifth! No tearout that I can see, the shape is all good, and the finish is beautiful! Way to go! Now go make another!

Terry Quiram
04-18-2007, 6:20 AM
Joseph

Do you know the difference between a bowl and art? If it won't hold soup its art! Nice piece of art. I can see you are off to a great start.

Dennis

You two need to road trip and visit me. Joseph can take a turn on the Stubby, then he won't want a mustard tool.:D

Terry

John A Walker
04-18-2007, 6:36 AM
Good job Joseph. :cool:

Sheesh...he's already asking for his own "mustard machine". :eek: :D
Well, we can't all cut the mustard these days...
The nearest I get to it is turning 'sneeze-wood' or iroko!

Nice job.

John (UK) ;)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-18-2007, 7:03 AM
Joseph, Real nice bowl! I like the form and thickness of this bowl and you did a great finishing job, I see no tool marks and a real smooth finish. Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing many more from you.:)

Glenn Clabo
04-18-2007, 8:02 AM
Nice job Joseph...
Now here's what you do...begin with...

Dad...if you buy me my own mustard machine...I won't wear out yours.
If that doesn't work...Dad...if you get me my own machine it'll keep me out of trouble.
If that doesn't work...Dad...if you get me my own machine I'll learn faster, make a bunch of money so you retire early.
If that doesn't work...Dad...let it be my next 10 Christmas presents...(they never remember and get you something every year anyways).

Bob Hallowell
04-18-2007, 8:25 AM
Joseph,
You did great, real nice bowl. So when is your dad buying you your own mustard?:eek:

Bob

Mark Pruitt
04-18-2007, 8:29 AM
Joseph,
Only one problem with your maple bowl. It needs your signature!:)
You're doing great. Keep it up!

Pete Jordan
04-18-2007, 8:53 AM
Great Job Joseph! You have a great future ahead of you!

Pat Salter
04-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Very nice and simple. No flat spots that we can see. But it almost looks like the bottom might be flat before it gets to the foot. I'm not sure because of the angle of the photos. It also seems like the bottom (not the foot) could be a little bit smaller. We usually shoot for about 1/3rd of the top. oh, and one more thing. It needs to be signed and dated and maybe a note saying, "first bowl" or some such. Save it and show it to your kids. :eek:
Keep up the good work and good luck on your future "mustard machine" :D

Doug Collins
04-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Your first bowl sure looks better than my first bowl! Nice job! Keep up the good work!

Don Orr
04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Very nice bowl Joseph, and I mean that sincerely. I can tell you listened carefully to your instructor and followed his directions very well. You are of to a great start here and with practice you'll be showin' up the ole man in no time.:D

Thanks for letting us see the finished product,

Tom Sherman
04-18-2007, 4:36 PM
Joseph, you turned a very nice bowl and finished right too. Tell you dad you'll let him use the mustard once in a while, but by then you might have to give him lessons again.:D

Joe Meazle
04-18-2007, 5:18 PM
Way to go Joseph. I can honestly say that is niceer than any bowl I have turned. I have turned some nice funnels though.

Jim Ketron
04-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Beautiful Job Joseph!
Just kick ol dad out of the way and take over that PM;)

Keith Burns
04-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Great bowl Joseph ! I know your Dad is a great teacher and you obviously learn well !!

Jim Becker
04-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Wonderful job, Joseph! This is a very nice form with a flowing curve. The little bit of tool marking will go away with time and practice. You're way ahead of many people who are new to turning!

Jonathon Spafford
04-19-2007, 1:35 AM
Nice job Joseph...
Now here's what you do...begin with...

Dad...if you buy me my own mustard machine...I won't wear out yours.
If that doesn't work...Dad...if you get me my own machine it'll keep me out of trouble.
If that doesn't work...Dad...if you get me my own machine I'll learn faster, make a bunch of money so you retire early.
If that doesn't work...Dad...let it be my next 10 Christmas presents...(they never remember and get you something every year anyways).

The best way is to ask him here on the forum ... how could he refuse ;) :D

Ken LaSota
04-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Good job Joseph you did good .Be Proud and sign the bottom.:) :)
Ken

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Very nice work Joseph! I like the form - a nice simple curve. The wood shows some pretty figuring. Also looks like you did a good job with the finish. Oh, and like everyone else have suggested - make sure you sign the bowl and maybe include something stating it is your first one.

Once again, very nice work! Welcome to the world of turners!