PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on electronic hearing protection?

Andy Pratt
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Anyone have experience using electronic ear muffs (the kind that let you hear normal level noise but block out high decibel noises)? I'm looking at getting something along these lines and was wondering if they are effective in a shop and if any specific brands are better than others.

Thanks in advance for your replies, I'm new to the forum and I've been amazed at how helpful everyone is here.

Alan Greene
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
I decided to buy a set from HF and I am not pleased with them. There is a lot of static in them. I do believe a good set will work welll so I am waiting for a set to arrive from Rockler.

Brice Burrell
04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I have done a lot of target shooting over the years, I use Peltor, Tac6 $65 or so.

Jim Becker
04-17-2007, 10:59 PM
I occasionally use my Bose QC-II headphones in the shop, but not for the real noisy stuff...for that, I still use my comfortable AO bands with tapered earplugs on the ends.

Phil Harding
04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I recommend these from Lee Valley that I bought a year or so ago. They are comfortable and very effective in reducing noise levels, especially when I'm using my planer or jointer. I keep the volume turned down and can still hear SWMBO and the TV when the machines aren't running.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49918&cat=1,42207

-- Phil

Nancy Laird
04-18-2007, 12:16 AM
We have a pair of noise attenuators called Hear and Protect, available at Woodworker's Supply. The filter out most of the high-frequency noise from the jointer and planer, yet it's easy to carry on a conversation from the other side of the shop. They have a 28dB attenuation, and go for about $44.00.

Bill Huber
04-18-2007, 12:25 AM
They should have really good ones out there.

They can listen for a sound and then produce the opposite wave and there is no sound.
I saw a test of a system one time that did that very thing on a small gas engine. The engine was running and making the normal noise and then they turned the unit on and there was almost nothing.
This was not a small unit at the time but I don't see why by now they don't have them smaller.

I am still using the foam ear plugs.

Joe Chritz
04-18-2007, 1:45 AM
I shoot around 50-100 rounds a week with electric muffs. Since I switched to them I won't use anything else.

I use my old shooting muffs(non-electric) in the shop. If you were planning on wearing them all the time the electric are nice. I only wear muffs when needed.

If you go electronic the peltor's are the "standard" and are first rate.

Joe

Jack Ganssle
04-18-2007, 6:07 AM
I second Phil's recommendation of the LV electronic ones. $30, comfortable even over glasses, work great.

Jack

Bill Lewis
04-18-2007, 8:13 AM
I have a set of the Peltor "Alert" model. They are very effective at blocking out noise, and are rated at 28 dB reduction. They have the dual mike feature that allows you to hear when noise/sound levels are below 84 dB. I use them on my tractor, and in the shop. They work quite well. They also have an AM/FM radio, which is ok, but not great. Works outside ok, but not that great in the shop. This model is very expensive, about $165, and to "jack-in" another source you have to buy their patch cable for about $30. The microphone feature is nice, but I doubt I would buy them for that alone, unless I had alot of people wanting to talk to me frequently while working.

I have since bought a set of Peltor "racetunes" that has a standard external jack so I can plug my IPOD in to it, about $50. Also has an AM/FM radio.

Now what I don't like about the Peltor muffs is the vinyl material that they use for the ear cushions. It literally rubs me the wrong way. I have experienced rather irritated earlobes after several hours of initial use. Especially if I am doing heavy work when the muffs can become slightly sweaty inside. I can avoid this by more frequent use (build callouses) or adjusting the position so they don't rub. This happend to me with both pairs of muffs, and I didn't even realize it until a day later, and for several days thereafter. It's caused by either the vinyl, or the foam inside, either way I've had other muffs that use a much softer cushion material that doesn't do this.

Al Willits
04-18-2007, 8:41 AM
The foam plugs are the best at about dB reduction but can be a pain to use, especially after they get a bit of sawdust on them...:)

Last I remember...
There's two basic types of electronic muffs, the ones that reduce sound levels and those that shut the electronics completely off.
Usually the reduction type are more expensive, but nice to be able to hear what's going on while your running something.

Best ones I own are from a outfit called Pro Ears at over $200 a pair, bit expensive though and they require a "N" battery, not always available at your corner store.
When shooting I used a the foam plugs and the Pro Ears, but nothing in woodworking I've seen so far is as loud as a Open IPSC comped race gun so that would probably be a bit over kill for most of us.

I have found the Rockler electronic muffs worked well and run off of AA batteries, they do shut the electronics down, but I can still hear well enough to tell when I'm starting to overwork one of my power tools.

The Rockler ones were on sale so I bought two pair, hang one over the table saw and the other wanders aimlessly around the shop, depending on what I'm doing.
I'd buy the Rocklers again btw, cheap and work....nice combination.

Al

Merle Clor
04-18-2007, 8:43 AM
I agree with Joe and am using this model:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/Peltor_Worktunes_26_AMFM_Radio_Headset
They are very comfortable over my glasses so I leave them on most of the time.

Brian Boru
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I have two, one for shooting and one for use in the shop.

http://www.msa-sordin.com/en/produkter.asp?rId=201&mId=104

http://www.msa-sordin.com/en/produkter.asp?rId=173&mId=97

http://www.msa-sordin.com/upl_img/09-000.0%20GB_Hear%20it.pdf

Take Care

Ellen Benkin
04-19-2007, 1:52 PM
I use "shooter" non-electronic muffs that I purchased at a gun store. I can hear normal conversation and they block out the noise of power tools enough to protect my hearing. Huh?

Howard Acheson
04-19-2007, 2:50 PM
I would be careful using the electronic hearing protectors. Most are optimized for certain frequencies and type of sound. They may not protect you from the noice made by woodworking tools.

The standard hearing protector devices carry a NIOSH certification and using non-certified protectors may lead to false security.

Randal Stevenson
04-20-2007, 8:32 AM
I've been looking at both the racetunes and the AOsafety version. But it always seemed a little wierd to me, as I remember everyone having a walkman and having them turned up ALL the way, and blasting directly into the ears (other damage).

Don Bullock
04-20-2007, 9:45 AM
I've been looking at both the racetunes and the AOsafety version. But it always seemed a little wierd to me, as I remember everyone having a walkman and having them turned up ALL the way, and blasting directly into the ears (other damage).

I bought the Peltor Work Tunes muffs with an input jack. Amazon had a special on them last week so I got them for $45 with free shipping. They don't have the same deal right now (as ususl). According the the directions, they have a limit on the volume control to prevent hearing damage from the radio.

Randal Stevenson
04-20-2007, 9:59 AM
I bought the Peltor Work Tunes muffs with an input jack. Amazon had a special on them last week so I got them for $45 with free shipping. They don't have the same deal right now (as ususl). According the the directions, they have a limit on the volume control to prevent hearing damage from the radio.

Excellent, thanks!

I wish they'd have that a little more obvious.

Ted Miller
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I felt a bit distracted with the electronic pairs, tried two different pairs now I just use the AO stowaway muffs instead. Very comfortable and no head squeezing...

Don Bullock
04-22-2007, 12:58 AM
I used my Peltor muffs today for the first time.

Wow, what a difference.

I discovered something, however, that was rather alarming and perhaps dangerous. With them, on I wasn't sure the saw was running. I'm so used to the sound of the saw and I couldn't hear it, so I actually had to check to see if it was running and cutting.:eek:

Andy Pratt
04-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the great responses everyone, a lot of good information. You've got me curious about the "noise reducers" as opposed to the ones that totally cancel out the outside noise. The points of not easily noticing that the machine is running, and not being able to hear it being overworked seem fairly important and I imagine this would fix that. Does anyone have more experience with specific models of these?

Thanks again,
Andy

Al Willits
04-23-2007, 9:11 AM
Andy, where do you live?

If your close to Mpls, I have a few different types you can try.
Also, remember your trying to reduce the volume to a level that's not harmful to the ears, not eliminate volume/sound entirerly.
I much prefer the ones that reduce the volume as I can still hear what's going on, like a belt slipping, motor overloaded, dog barking or whatever else may be going on.

My favorite are the Pro Ears which reduce the sound levels to non harmful levels and still let me hear what's going on, the $200 price tag makes them a bit spendy for shop though, and they are a bit bulky.

I've found the ones at Rockler work pretty well for the price and and reduce the level enough to be safe.
Plus they work with AA batteries, which are common.

If your new to woodworking, I might shy away from the ear muffs that play music, running a lot of the motorized stuff requires 100% concentration, least for me anyway imho.

Al