PDA

View Full Version : where to buy a stroke sander?

terry sligar
04-17-2007, 10:12 PM
can anyone send me to a site where i can buy a used stroke sander. I'm a small shop. don't need a monster....thanks for your help, terry:)

Joe Chritz
04-18-2007, 1:53 AM
I know Grizzly has new ones but they should be fairly common on the used market.

There are several web sources that have used machinery for sale.

Joe

Bryan Cowing
04-18-2007, 5:53 AM
A couple of times I have seen an older L55 mini max on ebay. I have one and the compact design is great for small shops. When not in use it can fold up to within 2 ft of a wall. It's an 8 ft stroke so about 12ft overall. The L55 cantilever design seems to be discontinued. The electric table doubles as my workbench.

Rick Lizek
04-18-2007, 9:44 AM
Lots of places to look. exfactory, Woodshop News, Craigslist, woodquip. There's lots of local classifieds. There always auctions. You can run into lots of wheeler dealer typpes at auctions who know how to find everything. You should go to autions just to find these people. It doesn't even matter what kind of auction to find these folks.
Check your local dealers and call local shops. Often stuff is stuck in a corner forgotten until you remind them. Just call and ask if they know of any used ones in a friends shop. You'd be surprised at how successful cold calls can turn up machines. Boice Crane made a really small one that you should be able to get for almost nothing. Beach, Progress, Mattison and others can be found as well. Stroke sanders are great machines.

Charles McKinley
04-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Woodweb.com has a nice section for used machinery (2 sections actually.)

Rick Lizek
04-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Buying it from a private party would be the lowest price. There's plenty of them out there, at least in New England. On the other hand the stroke sander is pretty low tech and can be made. FWW had a great article years ago on it. In fact there's a post here showing one that was made from that article. Scroll down to #15
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29715

Dick Latshaw
04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
On the other hand the stroke sander is pretty low tech and can be made. FWW had a great article years ago on it. In fact there's a post here showing one that was made from that article. Scroll down to #15
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29715

I saw the original stroke sander that was used as the basis for the article. It was designed and built, and the article written, by a friend of mine, Mike Rekoff. At the time he was a department manager with Teledyne Brown Engineering in Huntsville, Al. He later was an engineering professor at the University of Tennessee. He died about ten years ago. Interesting guy and quite a woodworker.