PDA

View Full Version : Twin Bed Pics

Tim Lynch
04-17-2007, 9:08 PM
Hi, this is my first post with pictures. I've been woodworking on and off for some years now, but mostly working on my old house the last couple. My wife decided that my 5 year old son needed a new bed, so I took a break from the bathroom vanity that I've been building to put this together. I told her "a couple days" (she's used to my unrealistic optimism), but I got it done in about a week working a few hours here and there. Believe me, that's fast for me! :o

I managed to use up a pile of leftover red oak that I've been storing for way too long to put this together. After I used up all that, I threw in some rift sawn white oak to finish it up, with a bit of walnut for decoration.

The big panel is mortised into the posts with one long tenon, but I glued it only in the center and then pinned it at the top and bottom, allowing for movement around the pegs. The footboard is done the same way, but glued at the bottom of the tenon and pinned at the top.

I tried to even the tone of the boards with some honey amber and medium brown TransTint dye, followed by Sealcoat shellac, and a waterborne satin poly.

The mattress is supported by ten slats with some pins to keep them in place.

I hope to have some bigger projects to show soon! And I welcome any comments... this place is a great resource.

Roy Wall
04-17-2007, 9:15 PM
Tim -

Hey, looks good. I like the walnut accents here and there. You have two deserving customers! Getting that done in a week -- brownie points for you....

Well done and welcome to SMC!

Lane Mabbett
04-17-2007, 9:20 PM
Tim - Very nice! Like you I spend more time working on my old house and barn than on the truly fun stuff. The bed is beautiful - my son needs a new bed and you've inspired me.

Peter Stahl
04-18-2007, 1:49 AM
Tim, Nice job there. Looks like you got a couple happy campers there.

Tom Cowie
04-18-2007, 2:10 AM
Great work Tim

Tom

Tim Lynch
04-18-2007, 6:48 AM
Thanks everyone!

Steve Campbell
04-18-2007, 7:54 AM
Tim, Judging from the smiling faces I would say it is perfect. It just don't get no better than that. I love it.

Steve

Tim Malyszko
04-18-2007, 8:04 AM
Tim,

Very nice work. It looks like your kids enjoy the bed.

Dan Gill
04-18-2007, 8:29 AM
Absolutely beautiful! And the bed is great, too.

Charles Jackson III
04-24-2007, 5:31 PM
Beautiful Beds!

Jim Becker
04-24-2007, 5:34 PM
Tim, cute kids and those beds will be heirlooms!

Tim Lynch
04-24-2007, 9:00 PM
Thanks again. In the interest of accuracy... it's one bed and just two photos! My daughter inherited my son's plastic toddler bed for now. She'll get her "bed fit for a princess" one of these days. Anyone know anything about jewel encrusting? :D

And thanks Jim -- I really appreciate all your contributions here.