PDA

View Full Version : Edge Trim

Dennis Boyd
04-17-2007, 8:29 PM
First time posting and put this in wrong forum first time . So here goes again..
I would like to know some method or trick or secret to getting the mitered corners tight on cabinet tops etc. when using 3/4 x 1 1/4" oak material. For edge banding. Both the inside and outside joints

I have ckecked my miter gage and it seems on the mark. Maybe I need a more accurate method of measuring or something ??

Dennis

glenn bradley
04-17-2007, 9:05 PM
If your miters are dead on and leave gaps then your panel is out of square. I put the right side on, check the angle for the front piece and trim to fit, do the same on the left and do the back last. this works better for me than cutting my trim precisly and finding out things are off just a smidge.

Lee Schierer
04-18-2007, 1:32 PM
Without knowing your set up of method of determining that your miter gage is "right on", I offer two suggestions.

1. Make a sliding miter table that has two supports at 45 degrees to the blade for cutting all your miters. Set the first support 45degrees to the blade as close as you can possibly get it. Then set teh second support in place using a carpenters square that you have checked for accuracy. Then when cutting miters, always cut one half on the left and one half on the right. This will give you 90 degree corners every time.

2. When ever you cut pieces for trim like this cut one piece longer than needed and test fit it to the first piece in the location it will be used. Then look at the joint and if there is a gap make a slight adjustment and cut a little off the long pieces. Once the fit is right cut if once more to final length.