PDA

View Full Version : Used equipment buy?

Craig Kershaw
04-17-2007, 6:32 PM
Need some advice from the group. I've been looking for a jointer and came accross a Craigslist add a local laminating company had for some used equipment. They wanted $800 for the lot but after meeting with them they said would take $450. Here's the list:

6" older Powermatic jointer, in good condition, no rust on tables
Jet belt sander - Had a two foot wide table with a miter slot, newest machine of the lot. Had some rust on the table, but looked like only surface rust.
Older Rockwell Drill Press, table was fairly small, fair condition
Small Rockwell band saw, good condition
Ancient Rockwell table saw, good canoe anchor

I'm not really in the market for a large belt sander, and would probably resell it if I buy the lot. They won't sell individual items.

Is this a good deal? I'm not sold on a 6" jointer, I would rather have an 8"(wouldn't we all)

Thoughts?

Chuck Reeves
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
With the information provided, sounds like a deal to me. Since the machines are being used professionally expect a lot of time on them. Look for play in pulleys, bearings, ect. and consider any repairs (if required) in your decision. If you don't need the other items included in the lot sale unwanted items and, if played right, wind up with a free jointer. Also check that the motor power requirements are compatible with your shop.

Paul Johnstone
04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
That seems like a great deal to me, if everything is in working condition.

Consider that a good used 6" jointer would probably run you $250-300.

If the drill press is a floor standing model, then the jointer and DP alone are worth more than $450.. If the table is too small, you can build (or buy) an auxillary table on top of it like:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10163

Charles McKinley
04-18-2007, 10:35 AM
It sounds like a good deal to me. Jump on ebay and search the compleated auctions for the items you do not want. I doubt you would have much problem selling the sander. If the DP is in good condition you would have to spend a lot to get one made as well today.

Warren E. Johnson
04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not really in the market for a large belt sander, and would probably resell it if I buy the lot. They won't sell individual items.
?

I live in Gaithersburg, MD about an hours drive away. I may be interested in the belt sander. Can you add to your description?

Jim Thiel
04-18-2007, 3:04 PM
It's not a deal unless your time is free. You have no use for the sander, and want an 8" jointer.

What you are saying is you want to clean out this guys place and pay him 450.00 to do it. I'm all for for finding good deals on used equipment, but not as an end to itself.

Now if you decide that a 6" jointer will do the job and you and Warren can work out something on the sander, great deal. Now you just need a canoe.

Jim