PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut Natural Edge

Mark Cothren
04-17-2007, 5:00 PM
Once again I dipped into the never-ending supply of Black Walnut (I know that's what y'all think anyway :D) and turned this bowl recently. I don't have the exact dimensions, but it's about 12" x 6" and has an antique oil finish.

Comments/critiques/suggestions/opinions welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/100_0268.jpg

Ken LaSota
04-17-2007, 5:06 PM
Hard to say anything Mark except fantastic job.Thhose walls are very thin and make me jealous.I love naturel edge bowls they are fun but a challenge to leave the bark intact. Once again great job.
Ken:)

Robert McGowen
04-17-2007, 5:06 PM
Never ending supply of talent also.......:)

Very nice.....

Ed Scolforo
04-17-2007, 5:50 PM
Mark, the form is very pleasing, I like the way the grain gives it movement and the finish is right on. Good work!

TYLER WOOD
04-17-2007, 5:55 PM
Comment: I'm jealous
Critique: it's not in the mail on it's way to me
suggestion: send it to me!!!
opinion: absolute perfection in finish, design, and follow through.

Really, it is a great piece of wood, and you did a fine job bringing the beauty out of it.

Mike Vickery
04-17-2007, 7:00 PM
Beutiful piece Mark. I am jealous I love Walnut but dont get to turn it very much.

Mark Pruitt
04-17-2007, 7:18 PM
Looks to me like something else that ought to interest a guy named Sam.;)

You da Black Walnut NE King!

Neal Addy
04-17-2007, 8:01 PM
The NE King strikes again. Another perfect form, Mark!

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Mark! Love the luminescent qualities of the sapwood, the super thin bark and of course the finish! Great job! Also like the photography. You just keep improving!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Mark.......you might be right!.......That's a beauty!

Let see......we have the Goblet Master:) ..........the NE King:) ..........one Stunning Stinson who's proven talent is genetic:) .............Oh Yeah! We have Andy....The Moxie Madman.....:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Mark that is another beauty. I really like this one. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Mark,

This one looks very, very nice. I really like the thin appearance of the wall and bark. Makes it look very delicate. Yet, another awesome piece bud. :D

Travis Stinson
04-17-2007, 11:49 PM
You think it looks nice in the pics? It's actually at least 10 times better in person. It was simply wonderful to handle and admire. What doesn't show up that well is the super details of the burned foot. Sadly, it went home with someone else.:(

Jonathon Spafford
04-18-2007, 12:56 AM
What a gorgeous bowl! The bit of figure just under the bark is gorgeous! The wood and the shape and the finish is stunning! Another awesome piece!!!

Joash Boyton
04-18-2007, 2:47 AM
Wow, now this one caught my attention....the profile, is just perfect! A pic of the burnt foot would be nice. The finish is perfect. Overall, really, very nice.

Good job:)

Pete Jordan
04-18-2007, 6:56 AM
Is there any walnut left in Arkansas?

Another great job?

Mark Cothren
04-18-2007, 8:10 AM
Not as much as there used to be, Pete...:D I know a few other guys who have some of this Walnut now, so you folks may NEVER get done lookin' at this wood...LOL

The interesting thing to me about this is that all this Walnut I've turned and posted came from the leftovers of two trees. A couple contacted me and they had two big Walnut trees that were on a creek bank and the dirt was washing away from the roots. So they went ahead and had the trees taken down. The main logs were sold to a veneeer company and they let me have the rest of it. So this was just the leftovers. I've turned several big bowls and a bunch of smaller bowls already - along with a few hollow forms. Dennis took a big bunch of it and I've given away a bunch more of it. And I STILL have a few nice pieces left that I need to get roughed out.

Ron Chamberlin
04-18-2007, 10:30 AM
NIIIIICE! Picture me envious.

Keith Burns
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Mark, this one is fantistic !!! Form is just downright perfect. Finish is awesom. Foot detail is perfect. You are the NE King !

Tom Sherman
04-19-2007, 7:55 PM
looking good Mark, couldn't expect anything less

David Stonner
04-20-2007, 2:02 PM
May I ask how you managed to keep the bark on the bowl? I have a devil of a time with walnut and most of it just flies off in chunks and I end up peeling the rest off. Do you treat the blank/bark with anything, or just chuck it up and go?

Thanks,
Dave

ps--VERY elegant bowl. i likes.

Mark Cothren
04-20-2007, 2:20 PM
David, I've had really good luck with this bark. I did put CA on where it contacts the sapwood (don't know the terminology). I've turned some of this wood without using any CA, though. I think it speaks more to the tightness of the bark on this tree than it does any technique I have for turning it. I just take really light, careful cuts out on the bark edge while I'm turning it. I've knock some bark chunks off of some of the pieces I've turned from this wood - hard not to. But for the most part it has been very cooperative.

Jim Ketron
04-20-2007, 6:18 PM
Simply Beautiful Mark!