PDA

View Full Version : Conventional and Un

George Tokarev
04-17-2007, 4:23 PM
Got a chance to turn today. Needed another oak piece, and found this funny little firewood dish inside the oak blank, so I did them both.

Oak is about 9 by 4, and needs to have the sanding dust taken out of the burn stripe, I notice. Undecided on finish, but likely will go wipe-on-poly over an ambering linseed. Sure looks more exotic than plain oak, doesn't it?

The little dish is no more than 7 on the largest dimension, from a piece of firwood that showed some ripple when I went to feed it to the furnace. I've got shellac on it, but I ran out before I could get it fully polished. Mixing up some more tonight. Whimsical, but attractive, and it changes both shape and sheen as you turn it. I call these "unnatural edge" pieces, as you know.

The oak will sell fast, don't know about the maple.

Benjamin Dahl
04-17-2007, 4:46 PM
george, the figure in the traditional oak bowl is pretty amazing. i like the other piece as well and think you should have no problem selling it.
Ben

Ken LaSota
04-17-2007, 5:09 PM
George I'm new here and was wondering do you create your "unatural edge bowls"by removing the bark or is there a different step? Very good looking bowls and I love the shape of both of them.
Ken

TYLER WOOD
04-17-2007, 5:38 PM
Very cool pieces. I personally love the looks of oak and ash, but man what a pain in the ash to turn!!!!:D You did a fine job on both

Robert McGowen
04-17-2007, 6:26 PM
I like them both. Two styles and two functions out of the same wood. Very nice....

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
George - very impressive oak bowl! Great looking grain pattern. Maple is very pleasing form with streaks of curl. Very nice and would be surprised if it did not sell. Once again, very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 10:56 PM
George both are beauties. I like the form and finish on both. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
04-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Both look just awesome! The grain on that piece of oak is sure nice! I love the figure on the other piece... great save! You wonder how much beautiful wood gets burned because somebody doesn't know or value what is underneath the bark... makes me wanna cry :eek: :D

Terry Quiram
04-18-2007, 6:45 AM
George

After seeing your bowl I realize that I need to turn more Oak. Love the grain, shape and rolled rim.

Terry

George Tokarev
04-18-2007, 7:17 AM
George I'm new here and was wondering do you create your "unatural edge bowls"by removing the bark or is there a different step? Very good looking bowls and I love the shape of both of them.
Ken

The step is the unintenional destruction of a larger piece of good wood by pulling the handle on the splitter. Though I usually examine bark and end, sometimes I get in the rhythm and just want to get the wood stacked for winter. I get occasional second chances like the one you see. Heart was up.

I get little splinters hanging out over the outside edges from the cutting which I scrub off with a brass flux brush, also a good way to clean and polish your bare burl or prepare an edge for charring, which I also do on both heart up and down firewood.

If you're a new turner, you could do worse than to check your firewood for relatively check-free chunks with embedded knots to turn away, leaving the stress and swirl behind. Quick, easy, and sometimes pretty cute.

George Tokarev
04-18-2007, 7:20 AM
George

After seeing your bowl I realize that I need to turn more Oak. Love the grain, shape and rolled rim.

Terry

Get plenty of cover for everything metal in the area of your lathe, and WD40 for it. Sure is some corrosive and usually very wet stuff. Worse than cherry to my way of thinking.

I like the shape too. I contemplated more of an external lip, but decided on my modest undercut inside to give a passer a one-hand hold.

Dick Durbin
04-18-2007, 8:24 AM
What impresses me most is that you have been able to keep that oak from splitting along the rim. Any time I get that close to the pith on oak I have a disaster waiting to happen.

Reed Gray
04-18-2007, 11:47 AM
George,
I find it interesting that you can sell the oak easily, and think you will have problems selling the maple. I can't give oak pieces away, but the maple flys off the shelf. Go figure!?
robo hippy