PDA

View Full Version : Turned something today

Ace Karner
12-28-2003, 6:23 PM
I call it a display pedestal, maple and mahogany, finished with Huts Crystal Clear. 10 inchs tail, 7.5 inch dia.

Thanks for looking

Ace

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2003, 6:30 PM
Well Ace.....You did it again..!!! A beautiful turning and I really like the through holes in the stand. I have GOT to figure out how all of you are getting your turnings so smooooootttthhh........

Keep'em comin'.....looks great.!!!

Ace Karner
12-28-2003, 6:36 PM
I've learned two things to help making things smooth, one is very high speed, and the other is sharpen your tools often, I sharpen my gouges about every 10 minutes, one quick pass is all it takes.

Ace

Martin Shupe
12-28-2003, 7:04 PM
Really nice piece of work, Ace. I like it!

Jim Becker
12-28-2003, 8:28 PM
Ace, you really have that "inside out" turning down really well...nice effect on this project. Great job!

Julie Wright
12-28-2003, 8:39 PM
Ace, Nice job. I really like the turned inside out piece. The tray on top is very nice, I really like mahogany.
Thanks for the tip on smooth turning.

Ace Karner
12-28-2003, 8:54 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, makes a guy feel great.

Ace

Wolf Kiessling
12-28-2003, 8:55 PM
I call it a display pedestal, maple and mahogany, finished with Huts Crystal Clear. 10 inchs tail, 7.5 inch dia.

Thanks for looking

Ace

I know you're calling it a display stand, Ace, which tells me that the top is flat. I've looked at the pic two or three times now, however, and each time I look the top looks convex. Am I looking at it cockeyed? To me it resembles, no, that's the wrong word, it looks exactly like a birdbath. In any event, no matter which, it's a pretty piece of work.

Wolf

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-28-2003, 9:04 PM
Ace, I really like that. My eyes aren't too good and I really can't tell, but I would like to know if the section with the holes is a hollow turning. It looks like it might be and I think it might be possible to do through the neck of the turning.

Dave Smith
12-28-2003, 9:14 PM
Displaying your turning skills is more like it. Ace you are a fast learner. Excellent work. Thanks for taking the time to post your pictures.

Dave Smith

Taking a break from 7 grand children in Longview, WA.

Ace Karner
12-28-2003, 9:29 PM
Wolf, yes it is a bit concave, I've found it makes it easier to correctly set something on it if it happens to have an uneven bottom, it is not as concave as the glare in the pic makes it appear to be, maybe a 1/16 of an inch. I do agree that it looks a lot like a birdbath now that you brought it up.

Don, the stem was turned using a method called inside out turning. You put four pieces together and glum them only on the ends, you then turn the inside profile, separate the pieces and re-glue them with the turning on the inside and then turn the spindle work.

Terry Hatfield
12-28-2003, 9:42 PM
Ace,

Good job again!!! I like it. The contrasting woods look great. Keep it up!!

t

Bob Lasley
12-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Ace,

You keep this up and your shop is going to turn into a studio! :D

Looks mighty fine. As I think I said before, you're going to have to demonstrate this technique at the next BBQ.

Bob

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-29-2003, 9:00 AM
Excellent work once again Ace! Your creativity is amazing, and the results are as well. That is just a really cool piece. I too like the contrast between the Mahogany and Maple..........they really work well to compliment each other. Nice finish too. Your patience and attention to detail shine thru with every project, and this one really showcase's your talent as a turner. There is no where to go but up, and I can't wait to see what is next. FINE, FINE STUFF ACE! Thanks for sharing your work again............I never get tired of unique things! :)

Terry Quiram
12-29-2003, 9:49 AM
Hi Ace

That is a great looking "Marble holder". (my other vice is Marble collecting) Are you sure you are a rookie?

Terry

Ace Karner
12-29-2003, 8:44 PM
I promise when I met you at Hatfield's a few months back I had never had a turning tool in my hands. It's all Ken's fault LOL

ace

Ken Salisbury
12-30-2003, 5:35 AM
I promise when I met you at Hatfield's a few months back I had never had a turning tool in my hands. It's all Ken's fault LOL

ace

Why do I always get the blame
for creating monsters ! !