PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Motor

Jeff Moffett
04-17-2007, 2:32 PM
I have the Beall buffing system and have been using my lathe as the buffing motor. I'd like to get a dedicated buffing motor, but I'm not sure where to go or what to get. Beall recommends a 1725 rpm 1/3 hp or better. Would the Woodcraft $100 grinder work? Do I need anything special to be able to mount the buffing wheels? Is there a better option out there? I'm hoping to find something that doesn't require any machining or electrical knowledge, so I can just mount the wheels and go. Thanks for the input.

TYLER WOOD
04-17-2007, 2:37 PM
Buy the rginder use it to sharpen your tools. Find a garage sell with an ole table saw and canibalize the motor. There are cheaper motors out there than a hunder bucks. You could probably go to any thrift hardware store and find something. If all else fails hen yeah the grinder should work

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 3:11 PM
Also check with some local HVAC shops. You might be surprised. I got a 3/4 HP Baldor motor for $20 from an HVAC shop that just changed someone's furnace out. I got a great deal on the motor and I still have it. :D

Jim Ketron
04-17-2007, 4:03 PM
I'm with Dennis!
I did the same thing for the same price.

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Ditto Dennis and Jim. Got a 3/4 hp for $10.

George Tokarev
04-18-2007, 7:09 AM
Be sure and ask if they have any dual-ended types. That way you can keep a couple buffs permanently mounted. Or get a mandrel like the one from Klingspor and use that.