PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meter?

Mark Hollingsworth
04-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I have decided a moisture meter would be helpfull and wondered where to get a "reasonably" priced one, if there is such a thing? Don't want to spend a fortune but I do want one that is fairly accurate. Am I asking too much? Thanks!

Benjamin Dahl
04-17-2007, 1:44 PM
I have a lignomat that I am happy with. they are having a sale that ends on April 20. not sure of your budget but it seems they have a number of models. http://www.lignomat.com/handheld/index.htm There are other companies out there but I have not used them. I selected lignomat because it was recommended by someone I trust.
Ben

Mike Sommer
04-17-2007, 2:00 PM
I have a mini ligno DX/C that is resonably priced and works well.

Mark Hollingsworth
04-17-2007, 2:05 PM
I have a lignomat that I am happy with. they are having a sale that ends on April 20. not sure of your budget but it seems they have a number of models. http://www.lignomat.com/handheld/index.htm There are other companies out there but I have not used them. I selected lignomat because it was recommended by someone I trust.
Ben

Ben am at their website right now. Which meter do you have?

Kev Godwin
04-17-2007, 2:17 PM
I own several different types of moisture meters for various building materials including wood which I use daily for my work. A lot of wood workers use "pinned" meters. Essentially they have two probes for measurement of resistance between the probes. Pinless meters that use electrical impedance, magnetic field or radio frequency will give a better reflection of the MCW (moisture content of the wood) since these types of meters test for moisture anywhere from 1/2" deep into the material or more. I have one meter that I can control the depth of the scan for use with larger timbers as well. Some good manufacturers for pinless types include Tramex, Wagner, Delmhorst, etc. There are pros and cons to each meter available. It really depends on what you would use it for or how often. A good source for comparison is professionalequipment.com.

Benjamin Dahl
04-17-2007, 2:27 PM
I have the DX/C and went with that one because of the number of species it adjusted for. I called their 800 number and they were pretty helpful and should be able to answer specific questions.
Ben

Mark Hollingsworth
04-19-2007, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the responses! I called Lignomat and ordered the Ligno-Scanner SD Pinless on sale untill tomorrow. Free shipping and very knowledgeable lady on the phone. She said it will go out tomorrow. I wanted to be able to scan raw lumber prior to cutting and assembly as well as after assembly and finish and this one will do the job and give me the options of depth to 3/4" or up to 1/4" for thinner material. She also said that the pin type is a bit more accurate but for typical woodworking (determining raised panel demensions based on moisture content at time of construction and so forth) that the pinless is quite adequate. Thanks again.

Az Fred
04-19-2007, 9:26 PM
Mark, I'm going to take exception to the nice lady's comments for a moment.

Pin type meters, I have a Ligno mini, typically measure moisture down to 6%.

Digital meters, I have a Wagner, typically measure moisture lower. My Wagner to 4% and some to 2%

In dryer climates this is an issue. I take my meter shopping with me most of the year. I do often measure lumber at 5% and less.

It's a DRY heat ya know. ;)

I'm sure you will find your new "tool" quite valuable.

Kev Godwin
04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Mark,
I believe you will be pleased with that pin-less type meter for general woodworking. Contrary to the nice lady's comments on the pinned option, that type of device measures a shallow thin segment of least resistance. Yes, it is more accurate for that very small sample area. However, it doesn't reflect a larger and more comprehensive measurement volume of a pinless type device. (I do use a pinned type device most often on freshly cut end grain members.)

This is a fun comparison I learned some years ago in a work training seminar in Madison, Wisc. Take a pinned meter and take a face grain measurement perpendicular to the grain and compare it to a reading you get from the same spot measuring parallel to the grain. Often you will get reading variation. If you turn a pin-less 90 degrees, the readings usually stay much more consistent. This is due to sample area and grain direction.

You'll be pleased.
Kev

Mark Hollingsworth
04-20-2007, 2:39 PM
You guys made my day. Having never used a moisture meter and not knowing that much about them I was hoping I hadn't wasted $240 on the wrong one, but after reading your posts, I feel ok about the one I ordered and am anxious to get it. Thanks again!