PDA

View Full Version : Couple of my latest bowls

Ken LaSota
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Here is a few pictures of my latest maple bowls. The first bowl is 7"x3 1/2"x1/4"
The second bowl is 9"x4 " x 3/16"
Comments good or bad welcome. The finsih is mineral oil and beal buff with carnuba wax.
Ken

Bob Hallowell
04-17-2007, 4:25 PM
Ken,
Welcome to the forum and those are some pretty nice bowls. Just remember we like lots of pictures!

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Good looking bowls Ken. I like the simple form. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Frist of all Welcome to SMC!!!! Nice turnings you have there. I really like the colors in that wood. Looks pretty.

Neal Addy
04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome to SMC, Ken. Very nice work! Keep 'em coming.

Jonathon Spafford
04-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the creek... post often and post lots of pix -- them's the rules ;) The bowls look great to me... the wood looks really nice! I would just say keep practicing... it is hard to tell with the pictures, but I see a little bit of tearout! This can be dealt with by wiping the bowl with oil or wax during the final cuts and than taking light cuts with the gouge and then a fine shear scraping with a round nose scraper! If the tearout is light you can stop the lathe sand that spot by hand with some 150 grit! The big thing is to just keep practicing! You are right on track!

Ken LaSota
04-18-2007, 1:46 PM
Johnathan thank you for the tip I will be trying it on my next bowls. Tearout is always a problen on maple for me.
Ken

Glenn Hodges
04-18-2007, 2:32 PM
Ken, that is some very beautiful wood. I have found if I slope the inside of the bowl rather than have a sharp degree of the meeting of the side and bottom, the sanding is much easier. Welcome to the Creek.