PDA

View Full Version : How do I attach sides to bottom?

Brian Penning
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I want to have fun and try out my PC 4212 DT jig and make a tray sort of like this one with angled dovetails.
Can't figure out what would be the best method to attach the sides to the bottom keeping wood expansion of the bottom panel in mind.
I like the bottom protruding past the sides feature.
http://www.theblueberrypatch.co.uk/Needful/S%20Wooden%20cutlery%20tray%20Handpainted%20and%20 distressed%20for%20that%20aged%20look%21%2013.50.J PG

Cary Swoveland
04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
If the appearance of the bottom of the base is not important, you could attach the base to the sides with screws driven from below, in countersunk slots (similar to one of the ways table tops are attached to carcases).

If you want the bottom of the base to have a clean appearance, you have fewer options. One is to use the method described above, but inlay decorative material atop the screws. (I doubt that you'd need access to the screws, but maybe you should epoxy them in.) Another option would be to use a matching veneer over plywood or MDF for the base, edge-banded with wood, with the joins betweens the plywood and solid wood being under the sides. As there would be negligible movement in the lengthwise direction of the sides, you could attach the plywood to the bottom of the sides without regard for movement (using dominos, dowels, biscuits, screws, etc.)

Cary

John Lucas
04-17-2007, 1:18 PM
Brian, I thought you wanted to try out your new PC dovetail machine? Even though your sides are slanted, you can make great through dovetails with no change. Half blind also but thru's really would look good here. Cut your boards just as if you were going to butt jin them (like picture) but run your dovetails. The only "problem" will be the edge guide and that isnt a real problem. Normally, you have a straight side to butt against the guide. In this case, you want to alsign the edge to be DTed on the finger template which will mean the sides will not be square against the guide. When the side is in the grip, just move left or right until the fingers look well balanced on the width. Your fingers will help here. You can get it very centered and balanced. Same with the other piece. If a little off, use a block plane after you have glued and bring the surfaces together. Try it. a little experimenting will go along way.

Brian Penning
04-17-2007, 1:30 PM
Hey John! I visit your website often -always good info.
I might not have explained my question correctly but I was only looking for methods to join the DT'd sides to the bottom panel.
Thanks. If I do have trouble doing the DTs on the jig I'll give you a holler.

Paul Johnstone
04-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Brain,

I'm currently reading some jewelry box books. It's a simliar problem (how to attach the back/top in a crossgrain situation).

I've seen some designs where they put a dado in the bottom for the slides to rest in and then use fasteners to attach.

I saw another design where they put two tenons in the sides with crossgrain movement and mortised the bottom.
I don't know how well that would stand the test of time, just giving you options that I saw in the book.