PDA

View Full Version : Another wood gloat

TYLER WOOD
04-17-2007, 9:39 AM
I finally got some maple! A tree trimmer frind of mine took out some type of maple, not sure the variety. I got a truck load of logs that should keep me in action for quite a while now. I have used a lot of the logs I had been getting for some serious practice amd not much to show. Hopefully they will not be used in vain.

Ohhhh almost forgot the bonus. Went to another tree trimmer on the way out home and found the find of the day. A large either elm or cottonwood burl!!! It took me and a friend to load it in the back of his truck! I took a chun of it to see what it had in it to see if the guts of the log were still good. OHHH YEAH!!!! I'll post pics this afternoon! Some of the most spectacular wood I have personally seen.

Nathan Grant
04-17-2007, 4:28 PM
Hello,

I found your old post about your buffalo lathe. Were you ever able to get it up and running? What about buying parts? I bought one myself and I can't figure it out. Please let me know if you have had any success.

thanks,

Nathan

TYLER WOOD
04-17-2007, 5:43 PM
Ohhh it's up and running, but i rarely use it. I like going to a friends and using a real lathe. It was given to me in running condition, and is just a Chinese P.O.J. The alignment is not that great, the speed is too fast for most things. The wobble in the bed is scarry. All in all i think even for free I should have turned it down.

I'm sorry if this discourages you, I wish I could have given you this info sooner. I have turned a couple of pens on it, but nothing able to be sold for upgrades. The wobble made the pens not line up when putting them together. Amazing what some tiny amounts of run out and misalignment can turn into in a 8" span. I hope yours is better than mine. Let me know any questions that you have with the lathe and I will help you as much as possible. Good luck!!!!

Nathan Grant
04-17-2007, 8:06 PM
Thanks Tyler,

Actually I really was trying to get a lathe and spent 150 on it and a packet of tools to go with it unfortunately. I couldnt figure out how to set the wood, as the chuck was completely different than any other one I had seen. It was basically a point and some screw in screw out points. When I tried to mount it, the piece of wood came flying out of the lathe so I turned it off and hit the internet and found your comment about one before. I guess it is pretty discouraging but it wont stop me from trying. Do you have any hints or suggestions that I could use to get it to mount wood better or at all?

Nathan

Bill Wyko
04-17-2007, 9:11 PM
Now Tyler you know it's not an official gloat until we see pictures sooo.....where are they?:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Now Tyler you know it's not an official gloat until we see pictures sooo.....where are they?:D

Thats because it didn't happen Bill. No pic's no happen.:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)

TYLER WOOD
04-18-2007, 9:35 AM
Like I said pics will come!:rolleyes:

I had a rough night the past two nights. Back spasms have sidelined me from doing much more that necessary.

I do have a chunk of the burl sitting next to me here at my desk. all sanded and danish oiled. I'm giong to use it to be a pen/pencil/letter opener holder all made from the same wood.

I'll get the camera from work and post after lunch today. Sorry about the much anticipated pics. Just hard to get your lazy butt off the couch when hurting. Most of you on here know that. Just pray for me!