PDA

View Full Version : Grass Cutting

Boyd Gathwright
04-17-2007, 1:14 AM
.... Anyone cut their grass yet? Am I the first one to cut in the NEW year? We cut ours Friday afternoon and one of my neighbors quickly pursued on Saturday morning. It has been raining with very strong winds every since and is NOT supposed to let up until Thursday sometime :eek:. The grass won't have time to dry out before it's time to cut again :D.

Jonathon Spafford
04-17-2007, 3:21 AM
I've cut mine twice this year so far... it needs it again, but it is too rainy. Probably just have to cut wet grass sometime soon... ack!!!!

Guy Germaine
04-17-2007, 6:33 AM
I cut mine yesterday afternoon for the third time.

Robert Mickley
04-17-2007, 7:10 AM
I haven't really cut yet, did take a test run with the new to me Case after going through it but thats it. I'm considering a beefer in the back yard this year. Let him eat the grass :D

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 7:42 AM
I've cut it 3 times already. It needs cutting again. :eek:

Greg Stanford
04-17-2007, 8:00 AM
Been cutting weekly since mid march. Life in the south.

g

Andrew Williams
04-17-2007, 8:45 AM
Still snow plowing here....

Joe Mioux
04-17-2007, 9:01 AM
We have cut three times and it would have been 4 or 5 times had it not been for the cold freezing temps we received during Easter week.

Joe

David G Baker
04-17-2007, 9:39 AM
Haven't mowed yet this year. The snow is gone except for the shady spots. Probably be three more weeks before I need to drag out the mower.

Scott Loven
04-17-2007, 9:52 AM
Havent yet, but I did burn a big patch last night.
Scott

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2007, 9:53 AM
We cut ours for the first time 2 weeks ago. Should have cut it last weekend. Need to turn the sprinkler/irritgation system in the next couple of weeks.

Jim O'Dell
04-17-2007, 9:56 AM
4 times here already, and we've already killed a lawnmower this year.:mad: (machine, not man:D ) LOML finally got brave enough to get on the riding lawnmower and has mowed once. Ran over a septic clean out cap last week...still have shards of plastic all over the side yard! Back needs to be mowed again..maybe I'll get to it Thursday. Jim.

Brad Schmid
04-17-2007, 2:28 PM
Started in early March. Mowed my yard for the 4th or 5th time this past weekend. Worse than that... my hedges need trimmed bad:(

Jim - I feel your pain:eek: LOML mowed with my riding equipment twice. First time, the cast iron access pipe/cap for the gas line was the victim. Good thing nobody was close by on that one cause that cast iron pipe was reduced to shrapnel:eek: Fortunately it was with a commercial gravely and the only repair was a $70 deck spindle and a blade. Second time, the casualty was the 3/4" plastic water line coming into the house, complete with ensuing geyser of water. After that, she had enough and just sticks to the push mowing. I can't even get her near my ZTR:D

Art Mulder
04-17-2007, 3:17 PM
.... Anyone cut their grass yet? Am I the first one to cut in the NEW year? We cut ours Friday afternoon and one of my neighbors quickly pursued on Saturday morning. It has been raining with very strong winds every since and is NOT supposed to let up until Thursday sometime :eek:. The grass won't have time to dry out before it's time to cut again :D.

Boyd, why do you sound so cheerful!?!? :confused:

Lawn mowing is a chore! It keeps you out of the shop, out of your easy chair, away from that good book, and so on. I don't want to mow my lawn, and I mow it as little as possible. :p

That said, my oldest is 10 and his brother just turned 8, so I'm doing my best to grow me a crop of "lawn mowers". :D

Around here, if we're lucky, it'll be late may before I need to mow. Though I've already seen people raking their lawn, which is a mystery. The ground is still so soft that they must be tearing their grass to bits.

...art

Lee DeRaud
04-17-2007, 3:26 PM
.... Anyone cut their grass yet?Oh right, like I ever stopped. :mad:

About the best it ever gets here is mid-"winter", when it only needs cutting every other week.

John Schreiber
04-17-2007, 4:19 PM
The whole lawn deal has got to be a scam. God made grass and we won't let it grow. If we want flat, we should poor concrete.

Every time I seed, fertilize, weed, mow, water, aerate, etc. etc. etc. my lawn I feel like a sucker.

David G Baker
04-17-2007, 4:54 PM
Having spent many years in Northern California and lived with frequent drought I learned that concrete, wood, and plastic do not need to be watered, fertilized or mowed. Expensive up front but over the long haul much cheaper. I now live in Mid Michigan with approximately 3 acres of lawn. What could I do??? I bought a riding lawn mower. After a couple of years of my doing the mowing the LOML got jealous. Guess who is mowing it now. Tee! Hee!

Ron Jones near Indy
04-17-2007, 7:31 PM
Cut mine for the second time yesterday afternoon.

Brian Elfert
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
People grow grass that needs a mower in Anaheim?

I lived not terribly far from Anaheim in the late 1970s in my youth and most of the neighbors had various ground covers that didn't need mowing. One of them had some sort of grass that had to be hand sheared once a year or so.

My dad planted some regular Kentucky Blue Grass and I can't remember if it grew or if we moved back to Minnesota before it had a chance.

Brian Elfert

Dan Drager
04-18-2007, 1:07 PM
I plan to cut mine this weekend. I can't wait as I picked up a used Grasshopper" a few weeks back. This thing is SERIOUSLY heavy duty. I mow about 4 acres and this will cut my time in the seat in half.

And a side note, Just last Thursday I was plowing. Gotta love WI weather. If you don't like it, wait ten minutes and it will change.

Jeff Heil
04-18-2007, 1:32 PM
I mowed for the second time today. I had mowed once already this year, but took a break from mowing to snowblow the 8" of snow we got between mowings. I love how the seasons change in Wisconsin. :)

It was fun watching the snow melt and the green grass show through. I changed the oil and drained the gas on the snowblower today, so I am optimistic Spring is here, somewhat, hopefully. :)

Lee DeRaud
04-18-2007, 2:00 PM
People grow grass that needs a mower in Anaheim?Yup, at least in the back yard: with the dog running around out there, it holds up better than any ground-cover plants I've seen. But it's a small yard, so mowing is only about a 15-minute job.

Actually, pretty much everybody around here has grass lawns...the only thing unusual about mine is that I mow it myself.

Mark Pruitt
04-18-2007, 2:36 PM
Lawn mowing is a chore! It keeps you out of the shop....

Exactly. For that reason, I resolved early last year that I will never cut grass on a weekend. Weekends are shop time. Period. I stuck to that all last year and this year I'm keeping it up.

Boyd Gathwright
04-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi Art,
.... This is really the first opportunity I've had to respond to your post since you posted. Along with CHEERFULLY mowing the grass again my wife and I have just spent about 108 hours planting 150 trees. With more to come, another 30, which will take about two days to plant and maybe three depending on the weather. Yes, you're right it can be a chore but I personally try to enjoy everything I do , it makes life a little more interesting. I guess you might say it just slows me down a little but somehow I get it all done. I think life to me would be BORING if I weren't multifaceted. And yes I, too, enjoy that easy chair but time keeps hiding it from me.

....Thanks for the POST. Good hearing from you.

Boyd

:)

Boyd, why do you sound so cheerful!?!? :confused:

Lawn mowing is a chore! It keeps you out of the shop, out of your easy chair, away from that good book, and so on. I don't want to mow my lawn, and I mow it as little as possible. :p

That said, my oldest is 10 and his brother just turned 8, so I'm doing my best to grow me a crop of "lawn mowers". :D

Around here, if we're lucky, it'll be late may before I need to mow. Though I've already seen people raking their lawn, which is a mystery. The ground is still so soft that they must be tearing their grass to bits.

...art

Fred Voorhees
04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Cut mine for the first time this past week. The first cut or two looks crappy due to the onion grass. Once that is out of the way, I have an estate.:D

Boyd Gathwright
04-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Fred, is that with servants or without servants :rolleyes:?

Cut mine for the first time this past week. The first cut or two looks crappy due to the onion grass. Once that is out of the way, I have an estate.:D