PDA

View Full Version : OT and Off the wall ? Butane Lighter refills

Randal Stevenson
04-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Has anyone EVER been able to sucessfully refill a butane lighter? It SO annoys me that you buy these things and get refills with them, but you try to follow the directions and the stuff just sprays out the end.

I need to go buy a new one as I am getting ready to help rebuild a commercial oven.

Any tricks?

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 7:41 AM
That's a good question. I haven't seen it successfully done....but there's gotta be a way to do it or it wouldn't be sold. Right?

David G Baker
04-17-2007, 9:47 AM
If you are talking about butane re-fillable cigarette lighters, twenty some years ago when I was smoking I used butane lighters and never had a problem filling them. There was always some over spray once the lighter was filled.

Randal Stevenson
04-17-2007, 9:51 AM
If you are talking about butane re-fillable cigarette lighters, twenty some years ago when I was smoking I used butane lighters and never had a problem filling them. There was always some over spray once the lighter was filled.

That's the one. We use the flexible ones for ovens, bbq's etc, but it doesn't overspray once it's full, it oversprays instead.

Ed Breen
04-17-2007, 3:29 PM
Randall,
Go to a smoke shop (local term maybe) and pick up a ZIPPO charcoal lighter. When you refill do it in small bursts and keep a check on the refill gauge.
Ed

Randal Stevenson
04-17-2007, 8:17 PM
The Zippo charcoal lighters I've seen look like a regular zippo. That's a no go. What they are mainly used for, is comparable to lighting the pilot lights on your furnace or water heater (way in there).

Rich Engelhardt
04-18-2007, 7:14 AM
Hello,

What they are mainly used for, is comparable to lighting the pilot lights on your furnace or water heater (way in there).

My fat brother in law used to work for Columbia Gas. One of his duty's at one time was relighting pilot lights on furnaces and water heaters after turning the gas service back on for customers.
CG supplied him with all sorts of gizmos for doing it.
The only thing he said worked all the time were wooden matches, preferably the old kitchen strike anywhere ones.

He had a piece of wire with a circle on the end about 8 to 10 inches long that he'd stick a match in. Then he'd light the match and reach inside with it and light the pilot light.

If what you're using the lighters for is similar in scope, you might want to give a wooden match a try.

Bill Lewis
04-18-2007, 7:23 AM
My only thought on this is that not all butane lighters are refillable, even though they look like they have a filling port.

A friend once gave me a "disposable" lighter he bought in a foreign country that could be refilled. the us ones in general, are not.

OTOH, I once had a refillable mini butane torch that just plane wouldn't refill, so maybe you just have a defective one.