PDA

View Full Version : Need help with splitter

Dan Lyman
04-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I've had a LT unisaw for a few years now and have been happy for the most part, BUT, I could never quite get it set up perfectly.

I've always had a a little bit more resistance than would be normal in cutting pieces. I went through basic setup many times, tried tweaking the fences, readjusting and rechecking alignment. I put in a deltas removeable splitter and had similar issues. I was able to minimize it by installing that splitter without the chrome sleeves it comes with, which allowed more wiggle room in lining things up.

I just received a shark guard and installed that today. It required I put back the original delta mounting bracket. This splitter does not line up quite right either. It is close, but the outside edge (furthest away from the blade) sticks out past the edge of the blade slightly and forces the wood to shift just enough to get by edge of the splitter. I can see the wood pull away from the fence (past the blade) the same amount. Also the splitter is at a bit of an angle, not perfectly in line with the blade.

So, what to do? I may try shmming the splitter with metyal tape, as I saw another post mention that earlier. Don't suppose I can hit up Delta for a new saw:)

Is there a way to adjust the delta splitter mount into proper alignment? Has anyone heard of such a thing? Do you think this diagnosis could correct or do you have a better one for me? I'd just like to get this fixed once and for all.

Dan

Paul Johnstone
04-17-2007, 9:28 AM
I can only offer you moral support. I haven't used a splitter in about 13 years, because I could never get the stupid thing to line up. I wasted an entire afternoon trying to adjust it, but could never quite get it right.

I also have a shark guard on order, and to be honest, I'm dreading installing it. I'm hoping now that I'm older and more patient, it won't be as aggravating.

Dan Lyman
04-17-2007, 9:47 AM
Hi Paul,
Sorry for your trouble, I know it is frustrating. Sounds like you had a similar experience. In some strange way it does help that I am not the only one. I think the splitter is to important to go without. On the other hand, I have not used a blade guard and went with the guard for dust collection.

I may try some tape and seeif I can get it done that way.

Dan

John Huber
04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
I haven't any experience with the brands you have tried. But the Micro-Jig splitter system really works for me. You make a zero-clearance insert, use their jig to make splitter mounting holes, and insert one of several splitters and orientations to get a smooth system. From the MJ system, I learned that splitter position needs to be accurate down to thousandths of an inch.

Brian Dormer
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Are you using a thin-kerf blade? Most of the aftermarket splitters (MJ is an exception) are designed for a regular 1/8" kerf blade. If you are using a thin kerf blade (about 1/16 - 3/32) then the splitter will be too wide and the wood will catch on it.

As far as not being lined up.... Have you called Customer Support for the splitter?

Dan Lyman
04-17-2007, 2:30 PM
I hadn't thought about the MJ splitter. May look at that if I can't get the this one wroking right. Let me clarify though, that it is nothing wrong with the shark guard/splitter, but I believe an issue with the saw itself or the splitter mount.

Maybe I should call Delta and see what they think. I'm just used to coming here for support first.

Oh yeah, I am using full kerf blades, Freud and Forrest.

Thanks

John Gornall
04-17-2007, 3:07 PM
It's been years since I installed the Delta splitter on my Unisaw and I remember how simple it was and there were no alignment issues after following the instructions. Have you put a straight edge across the arbor flange and aligned the top of the splitter bracket?

Here's the Delta instructions if you don't have them:

http://www.biesemeyer.com/print/safety/Blade%20guard%20manual.pdf

Biesemeyer guard but same Delta splitter

John Headley
04-17-2007, 4:23 PM
I have a new RT Unisaw with a similar problem. The mounting bracket is too far to the left, and results in the splitter being to the left of the blade. As like you, the splitter pushes the piece away from the fence, and is not a safe situation. I tried to adjust the mount, but there wasn't enough adjustment to get it to line up behind the blade. I drilled out the mounting holes on the removable mounting bracket. That gave me some more adjustment ability. But, in order to get the splitter to line up, I had to grind down the face of the mounting bracket on a belt sander. Even at that, I still had to install some brass shims from my dado set between the blade and the arbor to get the blade far enough to the left to line up.

After all of that adjustment, the OEM splitter is still useless because the back mounting point of the blade guard where it connects to the rod out of the back is still off too much to use. I had to leave the back mounting bolt off in order to use the OEM Guard. I called Delta and they offered to send out a technician, but since I was going to order a Shark Guard anyway (which only uses the front attachment location), I figured I would try that first and see if it solves the problem. My feeling is the holes drilled in the back of the trunnion to mount the bracket and the guard rod are off.

Dan Lyman
04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
John G
You are correct it is the same splitter I had in there. I was able to get to work buy not using the silver bushings. This allowed more lateral adjustability. It still wasn't perfect, but was good enough. Maybe I should have ordered the shark guard for delta splitter assembly instead. If all else fails, I may talk to Lee about a swap.

John H
It sounds like the same situation. You may want to take Delta up on the visit and see about getting it solved for good. I have had my saw for a while, so I don't know if they would do the same for me, but I'll be giving them a call.

Az Fred
04-18-2007, 1:05 AM
Agreeing on front and back is important here. That said, the front connection of the splitter/guide on a Uni is under the table for this discussion. The rear connection is on a bar behind the table.

Try a flat washer on the mounting screw on the rear connection of the original splitter assembly.

I became sane after I tried this solution. The alignment had previously made me NURTZ!