PDA

View Full Version : My newest favorite turning

Travis Stinson
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
With the help of my new partner. This one has extra special meaning to me and will never leave my possession. I started it Thursday night and my Son Ryan, for the 1st time ever, wanted to help me turn. Luckily, Mark was able to get a few shots (Thanks Mark!). Finished up throughout the weekend. 8" diameter by 2" tall.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/MIM2/FutureTravis.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/MIM2/100_0290.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/joesfault/MIM2/100_0291.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS397a.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS397.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Looks to me like it proves a genetic link there Travis! Gorgeous!

Raymond Overman
04-17-2007, 12:02 AM
That looks great for a first collaborative effort Travis. He's well on the way to getting swept into a vortex. :eek:

Pat Salter
04-17-2007, 12:16 AM
I see you have a Jet mini for when he goes solo. Great piece. Don't forget to have him sign the bottom. And yeah, keep it. some nice detail on it.

Bill Wyko
04-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Travis those are the memories that last a lifetime.:) :) And I must say, thats quite a beautiful piece the two of you turned out. You can both be very proud.:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-17-2007, 2:24 AM
Hey Travis, does Ryan give lessons :D

Great job, great piece, and great memories, heck, the pics are good too!! :)

Jonathon Spafford
04-17-2007, 3:19 AM
That is too priceless! That is gonna be scary having two Stinson's around... I probably will never attempt hollow forms ;)

That is one great piece though, btw! The wood has some amazing figure and the bead details really set the piece off... really a stunning piece! Tell Ryan he did a fine job ;)

Gary Herrmann
04-17-2007, 4:01 AM
If he hasn't already, have him sign the back along with you, and date it. He'll be able to take it down for years to see the results of the first time he helped Dad.

George Tokarev
04-17-2007, 7:24 AM
Spiffy wood, and well done. The kids were regulars in the shop and it wasn't always because we were, as my daughter said "playing Egyptians and Hebrews" with them as free (HAH!) labor. One thing I remember well, and pass on freely to others with young ones, is the tool you lost can be found by getting on your knees and looking about. It will be at their eye level.

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2007, 8:10 AM
Congrats Travis - on sharing your passion with your son! The memories created will last a life time! Well done!!

The bowl is beautiful - just enough detail to highlight the grain. Very nice work!

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Travis, the bowl is beautiful, but the pictures of you and your son working together to turn it are priceless. Ryan will remember these times when he's 30, 40, 50, and 60 years old.

I know of too many people who have hobbies or avocations of some sort who don't want their children around to "distract" or "mess things up" or "lose something" or "be in the way." Wish I had been able to share the things I do now when my son was small, but I didn't have the skills or the equipment then. But, I do have lots of pleasant memories of times spent with my son doing other things. When I see pictures like this, or Jim making birdhouses with his daughters, Joseph joining SMC to be in a group with dad Dennis and learning to turn, or others posting pictures of like ilk, it tells me that the parents here are caring, loving, and helping individuals who spend time with their children and share their love of a craft or an art. Way to go!!!!

Nancy

Mark Cothren
04-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Just for clarification, which one is Ryan? :D

Dario Octaviano
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Travis,

A great piece and very memorable one. It is an heirloom worth keeping for generations to come. I am sure your son will remember the experience for decades too.

This for me, is a GLOAT and a great one at that. CONGRATS!!!

TYLER WOOD
04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey congrats. I know the pride and happiness when your son wants to be out there with you helping. I have two sons one is 4 and the other 5 months. The 4 year old has to be in the garage when I am out there. He loves taking a hammer and nails to a 2x4. He is always asking "Dad when will I be big enough to make something." Absolutely melts my heart.

Beautiful job on the bowl and your little helper. Treasure the days and grow them up right! Find the song by Pillips Craig and Dean, I want to be just like you. It fits so perfectly.

Ken LaSota
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Beautiful bowl Travis and the memories are priceless. I like the style of the bowl and the lines really stand out.
Ken:)

Don Orr
04-17-2007, 2:00 PM
Awesome, just awesome!!! The bowl is nice too. I'm, so jealous-we were not able to have kids so I can't begin to imagine how great this must feel-for both of you! Outstanding !!!

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 3:13 PM
Beautiful memory there Travis.!!!! :cool:
Give Ryan a big hug and congratulate him on a helper well done. :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2007, 4:06 PM
Travis what a beautiful memory. That is something you and Ryan both will remember for sometime to come. By the way Travis enjoy every minute with the boy cause they grow up fast. Mine did way to fast.

Congrats to the boy on helping do a beautiful piece. Well done both of you.

Ed Scolforo
04-17-2007, 5:52 PM
Travis, that is a beautiful bowl. Better yet, is that you got to share this experience with your son. Awesome!
Ed

Travis Stinson
04-17-2007, 6:43 PM
Yep, not much could top this. He usually just likes to throw shavings in the air when he's out there with me and he kinda caught me by surprise when he wanted to help. It was tough for me to watch the gouge and his face at the same time. The look of fascination in his eyes is permanently etched in my memory. :)

Mark Pruitt
04-17-2007, 7:11 PM
That is a precious sight that will always be etched in your memory. I cannot imagine the pride you must feel. Good for Ryan and good for you!

Pete Jordan
04-17-2007, 9:23 PM
What an occasion! How old is the new turner?
Frame the pics too.

Robert McGowen
04-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Sometimes you just have to remember why God gave you kids. Made me smile all day. :)

Travis Stinson
04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Pete, he'll be 7 end of next month. I set him up on the mini tonight. I stood behind him and showed him some basics, then stepped back and let him have it. I think I need to order a new mini for a Birthday present! :D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/Ryan/th_MOV04659.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/Ryan/?action=view&current=MOV04659.flv)

Joseph Peacock
04-17-2007, 10:48 PM
That looks very good Mr.Travis. :D :cool:

Jim Becker
04-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow! Great collaboration!! Priceless! (But you already knew that last one... :) )

Kaptan J.W. Meek
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Gettin' kids interested is one of the greatest gifts you can give.. My nephew comes to spend a week with me every year since his Police officer/father was killed in the line of duty.. I started him out last year making a nice top, and this year we might try a pen and bottle stopper on the new Oliver.. Give them kido's something to do, and you'll never have to wonder what they've been up to.