PDA

View Full Version : Antiques Roadshow find

Jim Dunn
04-16-2007, 9:43 PM
Stanley plane #45 combination in "perfect" condition with all cutters, in the box, w/instructions priced at $400.00. It had special treatment by a dealer at the front table and everything.

Great fun where you'd least expect it.

James Mittlefehldt
04-16-2007, 9:46 PM
I just watched that tonight, and was surprised it was so high, maybe the advisor was a disciple of Martin Donnely, his prices are always high.

Jim Dunn
04-16-2007, 9:52 PM
I couldn't justify the price as I have no idea about older tools. I just thought it was neat that they took the time to go over the tool with such excitement.

John Schreiber
04-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I love that show. I always get excited when one of those twin brothers starts looking at Federal Style furniture.

When I told my wife, "that's a Stanley 45", and they said, "That's a Stanley 45," I was impressed with myself, but I don't think she was.

Tony Zaffuto
04-17-2007, 8:02 AM
Dealer was Lee Richmond, of "The Best Things". Lee is very reputable and I have purchased both new and old tools from him and have always been treated fairly. My connection is only as a satisfied customer.

The 45 was a "post WWII" in a shape that looked like it never touched wood. It also had the original box although Lee pointed out the box was from an earlier type plane, but Stanley always used up older stock before starting into new supplies.

Tony Zaffuto
04-17-2007, 8:04 AM
As an addendum to my earlier post, my Wife was watching the show with me and commented the 45 was an interesting looking plane. I reminded her that I picked one up for $85.00 several years ago, although I didn't mention that the condition of mine was user and not "collector".

Dave Anderson NH
04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I have a #45 I bought new in the box still complete with the original wrapping paper and the envelope with the spare nickers still stapled shut. It was a mid thirties version and was $250.

The pricing on both the #45 and the more complicated #55 seem to run in cycles. At times they go up and then the bottom falls out of the pricing and drops like a rock. I guess that at the moment the prices are up.

Jerry Palmer
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
I just watched that tonight, and was surprised it was so high, maybe the advisor was a disciple of Martin Donnely, his prices are always high.

Don't know that I'd categorize MJD's prices as high, more like getting what you pay for. When I've gotten stuff from him, I had the confidence that what I was getting was what he had described and THAT is worth more than a couple bucks in my book. ;)

Clint Jones
04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
MJD's prices are extremely high.

Tyler Howell
04-17-2007, 2:36 PM
I thought the fact that it was circulating in the family made it real special!!!:cool:

Roger Bell
04-17-2007, 8:24 PM
I was surprised that the Roadshow chose to feature this particular tool. It is not at all rare, and it is not at all uncommon to find them in this condition. The average non-tool-using viewer probably had no clear conception of how "it could replace an entire collection of molding planes" and the relative signficance of that in claim in the history tool development. That said, it is good that they do choose to select a tool of some sort to feature and make the effort, as they did and to concisely explain its significance.

In terms of price, I thought that Mr. Richmond's estimated selling price of $400 or so is about right for an internet-based dealer such as The Best Things where I would expect a signficant mark-up from the going rates at, for example, MWTCA tool meets.

Ryan Cathey
04-17-2007, 8:50 PM
Greeeaaat...another reason for the local junk dealers to "be proud of" the tools they carry...like I needed help spending my money.:(

Jim Dunn
04-17-2007, 9:06 PM
Greeeaaat...another reason for the local junk dealers to "be proud of" the tools they carry...like I needed help spending my money.:(

Maybe they don't watch? Just kidding. Seems like everyone is looking for one of those highboys from the White House.:rolleyes:

Ryan Cathey
04-17-2007, 9:09 PM
Yup, everytime I hear about a tool on The Antiques Roadshow I think (Tim the Toolman grunt voice on) "Oh no" (Tim voice off). I can practically feel the prices rising right now lol.

rick fulton
04-18-2007, 8:51 PM

It looks like $400 is pretty close to auction prices on eBay. A sample of recent prices for 45's from excellent condition to unknown;