PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive Cleaning Stick, it works !!!!!

Bill Huber
04-16-2007, 9:17 PM
I bought some stuff from Rockler and at check out they always show some sale items. One of them was the Abrasive Cleaning Stick $2.99.
Now for $2.99. what the heck, it wouldn't work I was sure but for $2.99.

Well it came in and I took it out to the belt sander, now I was just about to the point of changing the belt, I put the stick on the belt and WOW was I shocked, the belt looked almost like new again, and it didn't take very much of it to do it.

I just can figure how it does it, but it does and the belt sands just great.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5518&filter=sanding%20belt%20cleaner

Gary Keedwell
04-16-2007, 9:41 PM
I bought some stuff from Rockler and at check out they always show some sale items. One of them was the Abrasive Cleaning Stick $2.99.
Now for $2.99. what the heck, it wouldn't work I was sure but for $2.99.

Well it came in and I took it out to the belt sander, now I was just about to the point of changing the belt, I put the stick on the belt and WOW was I shocked, the belt looked almost like new again, and it didn't take very much of it to do it.

I just can figure how it does it, but it does and the belt sands just great.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5518&filter=sanding%20belt%20cleaner
Yea Bill...they work real good. Not being a wise guy...but they have been around a long time. But, if it helps even one member , it was worth posting.
Gary K.

glenn bradley
04-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I picked one up on the cheap at HF with the same feelings you had; for that price, why not? They work great and really extend the usable life of your abrasives.

Bill Huber
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Yea Bill...they work real good. Not being a wise guy...but they have been around a long time. But, if it helps even one member , it was worth posting.
Gary K.

Well that is one of those things that I was sure would not work, I don't understand how they do but they sure do.

I am sure there are some real newbies like me that may want to know.

Bill Huber
04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I picked one up on the cheap at HF with the same feelings you had; for that price, why not? They work great and really extend the usable life of your abrasives.

The thing is now I have to sand everything I can find so I can try it again.:) :)

Ron Hedrick
04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
My nephew told me about them several years ago. He was using them in his high school shop class. They remind me of the old art gum erasers. I was amazed at how well they work.

Per Swenson
04-16-2007, 10:33 PM
That stuff is crepe rubber not to be confused with crepe suzzette

but works real well in cleaning up a lot o crepe.

It can also be found on the soles of shoes, besides the soul of

the sanding station.

Sometimes I can't help it.

Per

Grant Wilkinson
04-17-2007, 7:42 AM
Bill

As has been already posted, it is a crepe stick. They heat up from the friction and melt just a tiny bit, the saw dust sticks to the melted end and comes off the paper, then the paper sands that bit off the stick and the process starts all over again. It happens quicker that it took me to type this.

Fred Voorhees
04-17-2007, 8:30 AM
Have had mine for years and it is still 95% of its original size. Does the job and lasts a loooonnngggg time.

Paul Johnstone
04-17-2007, 9:24 AM
Just as a tip.. They seem to work much better when you clean the sandpaper at the end of the day. If you leave the dust on the paper for several days, it seems to be less effective.

They really work great on drum sanders as well.

Michael Schwartz
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
You should also keep one arround for your random orbit sander, as keeping your pads clean will not only speed up sanding dramaticly, but save you a bunch of pads.

Lou Morrissette
04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
The crepe soles of old work boots work just as well.

Lou

Bart Leetch
04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
The crepe soles of old work boots work just as well.

Lou

Some of us can't afford to replace our boot soles that often Lou.:eek: :D

Bill I have one thats big enough that if I threw it at you you better duck.:D They work good & last a long time.:)

Alfred Clem
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
My garage workshop may not be a pretty place, but it has stood the test of time. Hanging from a string over my belt sander is an old Clark's Desert Boot. Now in its "second life," this old shoe cleans my sander's belt slick as a whistle simply by holding the crepe sole gently to the moving belt. Cost: 0:)

Howie French
04-17-2007, 6:23 PM
I also keep one next to my OSS, wouldn't want to be without it.

Howie

Richard Wolf
04-18-2007, 7:30 AM
Just one word of caution; DO NOT try to cut the stick in half so you have two. The rubber will stop a saw blade faster than Saw Stop. I have read that someone tried to cut one on a miter saw and the saw blew apart.

Richard

Robert Malone
04-18-2007, 7:49 AM
Bill, I agree with Paul.
I don't remove disk from ROS without cleaning.
I don't remove sanding drum without cleaning first.
And they will always be fresh and ready for next use.