PDA

View Full Version : Question on assembly of new lathe

Mark Hubbs
04-16-2007, 9:00 PM
I just recieved a nine year old, new in the box, Record Power lathe made in England. (Model DML 24X) Hard to imagine any product like this being stored that long before retail sale. I paid only $99 which is about 1/3 of retail. It appears to be a great peice of machinery although a little simplistic compared to many of the new models coming out. :) Anyway...I degress.

When I mounted the motor the pully system lacked about 1 inch lining up with the pullies in the head. The motor cannot be inserted any further. I loosened the motor pullies with a allen wrench and moved them on the shaft to match the pullies in the head. The motor pullies now extend past the shaft about 3/8 inch. There is still a full two inches firmly on the shaft however. The pullies in the head did not appear to move on a spline as those on the motor, so I left them as is.

Is this 3/8 inch over hang on the motor shaft an issue, or am I worrying too much?:confused: Otherwise the lathe runs smooth and quiet. I hope to turn a spindle tommorow if the overhang is not a issue.

Thanks!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-16-2007, 9:47 PM
Personally I don't believe you are worrying too much. Something is out of alignment. Did you get the assembly instructions? The answer should be there. If not, call the factory or local repair center for a fix.

Bruce

Mark Hubbs
04-17-2007, 8:58 AM
I contacted Record Power in the UK by email and they responed very quickly. The headstock pully does move. There is a second allen screw, that must be loosened, that is under the top allen screw that is removed. I did not know there was a redundent retention system on the headstock pullies. After readjusting the motor pullies they line up fine and the motor pullies just come to the end of the motor shaft now. Should be fine.:)

Thanks

John Taylor
04-17-2007, 9:02 AM
HI Mark

There is definatelly something wrong there, the motor pulleys must be fully on the shaft and not overhanging.

From what I can remember the pulleys on the main shaft are moveable, unfortunatlly I can not get a look at one till Saturday.

If you can post a couple of pictures of yours showing how the pulleys etc I might be able to spot the problem.

john

EDIT: Just posted this and read your post so no problem, have fun with it.