PDA

View Full Version : Sweetgum

Jason Solodow
04-16-2007, 8:56 PM
Anyone turned it before? If so, how good is it? How's the figure? Any special precautions?

Christopher K. Hartley
04-16-2007, 9:41 PM
Jason, I have found sweet-gum to be a sweet turn. When it is wet or green it is like turning butter, nice and smooth. it generally has a white and tan to brown color to it and is very interesting. As it ages it tends to darken and when spalting begins it can really give you some fantastic appearance. I love the way it finishes as well. I would say turn away you can't go wrong with it.:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-16-2007, 9:48 PM
DITTO--------------- Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bruce

Jonathon Spafford
04-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I think that I have turned only one piece of the stuff, but it is really nice! Not much tear out that I remember. Has nice dark brown spots and blue/grey patches, and cream patches... and the piece that I turned had some light spalting! Great wood!

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Ditto what Chris said. Very nice turning wood.

Bill Wyko
04-17-2007, 12:41 AM
I just started a piece of Red Gum burl. I don't know if there related but this piece is solid. I have to sharpen every 5 or 10 minutes.:cool: But it's a beautiful piece of wood thats for sure.

Jason Solodow
04-17-2007, 8:29 AM
Sweet! I'm glad to hear this... I got a guy who has a 35 foot tall and 2 foot diameter sweet gum tree that he needs to get rid of.. I'll post pics as soon as I get it down.

Dennis Peacock
04-17-2007, 3:17 PM
Get all of it you can. Turn some of it now....let the rest of it spalt over time and check it so you can catch it before decay sets in.