PDA

View Full Version : Help me create a Gloat.........

Tony Falotico
12-28-2003, 1:58 PM
I'm going (hopefully Tuesday) to look at a used Powermatic Model 66 Table saw, 5 HP Baldor TEFC 220 volt single phase with 52" Biesmier Fence. The seller purchased it new 12 years ago, has not used it commercially, and apparently has had limited usage the past few years. He says it is all original and in good condition, except for the normal stains one would expect on the table.

This is more machine than I need, but if conditions are right, WHY NOT? I am a home hobbyist, do not woodwork commercially, just enjoy doing it. I plan on building all new furniture for our home and redoing the kitchen (new cabinets, relocating walls) over the next few years.

1. Is there any reason I don't want this machine?
2. What should I look for when I go see it? Any irregularities in this model? What tests should I conduct?
3. Assuming it is in good condition, What is it worth?

Please help me out, I'm excited about it but don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Jim DeLaney
12-28-2003, 2:42 PM
It should be a super good saw. The only drawback might be the power requirements. A 5 hp motor is going to need a 30 amp dedicated circuit. Be sure you have enough panel space for the required power. Other than that, you cn't go far wrong, assuming the saw is in the shape you describe, and the price is acceptable.

Let's hear about the actual deal when you complete it, and maybe see some pics, too.

Todd Burch
12-28-2003, 2:53 PM
Tony, that's a good saw. I have the same model I bought new in 12/97 - 6 years ago this month. When I bought it, I was a home hobbiest. Now, it gets daily (well, almost...) use.

The biggest thing you want to look for is blade runout. The biggest reason I leaned towards this saw new was the big beefy 3/4" arbor it has (that is turned to 5/8" where the saw blade goes).

When I ordered my first PM66, the factory arbor had .035" runout. The local dealer said that .030" was within tolerance. I returned the saw. Going from a Craftsman where I had daily headaches, I did not want a saw that I knew was not running true. Boy was I bummed.

I ordered the 2nd saw off the internet, and it was perfect. I paid $2100, or there abouts. The first saw cost $2600, which I was willing to pay for from a local dealer and good service - which I ended up getting (good service), since they took it back.

The only problem I have had is the handle coming off of the blade raise/lower wheel. I removed the wheel and peened it back on.

I've only stalled my 5HP once - I was ripping 3" thick pine with a WW2 40 tooth blade (wrong blade for the task). Not only did I stall the motor, but I ruined the blade too. Operator error. No, operator stupidity.

It's a great saw. With a side-feed table and an outfeed table, I handle 3/4" MDF sheets all by my lonesome. My only issue is getting the sheet TO the saw!!

Todd.

Mark Singer
12-28-2003, 8:41 PM
Tony,
I have had mine for 10 years now! Its great, I never felt like I wanted a different saw. It handled a lot of big stuff witout a problem. Absolutly no vibration. Make sure it runs smooth, Take the blade through the full 45 deg of swing. That is a great fence too. I don't know the price but that is the best saw you can get...heaviest trunions and the original left tilter, Inspect it and....
Get it!
Mark

Tony Falotico
12-30-2003, 6:50 PM
Got ready to leave this morning, figured I'd better call and make sure he was going to be there (about 2 hrs from my place). Well I'm glad I called because he had just taken a deposit on the saw. DRATS!

Todd Burch
12-30-2003, 7:01 PM
You're killing me Tony. Killing me.