PDA

View Full Version : 2nd segmented piece

Robert McGowen
04-16-2007, 7:34 PM
There are 12 pieces in each ring with 97 pieces total. Maple and walnut with Danish oil. I practiced lining up the rings correctly and was also able to finsih off the inside quite nicely. The way the light catches it, it changes looks every time you view it at a different angle. Every piece is an adventure!

This segmented stuff is getting to be kind of a problem with the LOML though, as in "Your going to the shop AGAIN?" :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2007, 8:39 PM
Robert that is a nice looking piece. I really like the form and wood. I am going to try one one of these days.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-16-2007, 9:50 PM
Robert, you know. for a guy who's always wearing sunglasses you don't do half bad work! Actually you do darn good work and this is no exception to that rule. Super Job!! I really like the looks of this one.:)

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2007, 9:57 PM
Robert - very nice work! I like your choice of contrasting woods and also the way the foot is a slightly smaller image of the top. Nice work!

Jonathon Spafford
04-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Beautiful wood choices and great piece... I would be pretty tickled if my second turned out that nice, but I haven't even done one!

Excellent work... thanks for posting!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Nicely done Robert! I've got to try one of those!

Tell the LOYL there's a lot of worse things you could be doing!

Bill Wyko
04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Very nice Robert! Exelent form, finish and choices of wood. I think thats the thing I like the most about segmenting, the varity of wood you can use in one piece. Keep up the exelent work.

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-17-2007, 1:22 AM
Be careful Robert. It is indeed very easy to get "hooked" on segmented stuff - even more so than "chunk-wood" turning, :-)))

Seriously, for only your second attempt, this is a really nice turning - very good joinery and nicely finished. Good luck with your next one.

Pete Jordan
04-17-2007, 9:26 PM
That really is a cool design Robert! What size is it?

Robert McGowen
04-17-2007, 9:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words. The piece is 8" tall and 7.125" wide. I once again learned a few more things making this piece. I am in the process of making a press to aid in glueing up the rings. I have seen a couple of different designs, from a full welded version to a couple of boards and nails with weights. If anyone has something that they really like, please post it here or start a new thread.
Thanks again, Robert

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Robert, for what it's worth, I've never used a press to clamp rings together. I use an assortment of different length pipe clamps (the type that "push" with a big thumb screw). I simply line up my rings layers on my work bench and place a clamp between the top of the assembly and a ceiling joist. I use 1/8" rubber router pads and a piece of wax paper under the assembly. As I tighten the clamp, I slide the rings into the best position so they don't slip sideways. It might sound a bit clumsy, but it works very well. It also does not obstruct my view as I inspect the alignment around the assembly.

Ken LaSota
04-18-2007, 1:48 PM
Robert that looks great what size is it and what did you use to finish it?
Ken