PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone remote control

terry hansen
04-16-2007, 4:15 PM
I finally decided to add a remote to dust gorilla (2 hp 220V single phase) and I'm looking at the PSI long ranger. My questions are 1) any +/- for this unit in the 220V version? and 2) does one bypass the existing magnetic switch by unhooking wiring from switch, installing a 220 male plug and inserting into remote controller? or does the switch need to be inline and always on? not being overly familar with magnetic switches I want to be sure to do it correctly.
From the threads - I realize I could probably build a unit cheaper, but for me time is important as the PM2000 is coming soon (stealth gloat, pics will follow) and I'd rather set that up than build a switch.
Thanks for feedback.

Pat Zabrocki
04-16-2007, 4:54 PM
I have a Long Ranger and it works great and it works straight out of the box (220). I plugged my Tempest cyclone into the Long Ranger and the Long Ranger into the wall. Leave the collector switch in the on position and everything takes care of itself. The range for the device is excellent. My shop is about 17 by 35 (nothing like divorce to let YOU decide how much of the basement to use) and it works wherever I am. I've also got some obstructions like the furnace, hot water heater etc... and it works great even with something in the way.

cheers
Pat

Rob Wright
04-16-2007, 5:00 PM
Terry,

I am not an electrical expert, but I do not think that it will work correctly with the magnetic switch supplied from Oneida - isn't the switch a motor starter and has thermal breakers?. I would think that a quick call or email to Oneida would be worth while for their remote and the possibility that you could exchange your switch for the one that has the remote built in. When I ordered my 2 HP gorilla from Oneida in 2005, it came without the remote and I called and complained that I though one was included - two days later I had a remote and it worked liked a charm. Also - the Oneida remote is small - about this size of a car door Fob.

Good luck - Rob:)

Jim Becker
04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I sincerely suggest you consider using a contactor to switch the 240v for the cyclone and control it with a 120v remote. In this manner, you absolutely insure that your switching system is matched to your motor amperage. This costs a little more to effect up front, but in the long run, will result in a long-lived setup.

Thane Duncan
04-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Terry

I have the Oneida Pro 1500 cyclone in my basement shop. I would put a vote in for their remote, I hang it on the tape pocket of my carpenters jeans. It is on a carabiner (mini) from Home Depot. Lightweight, below tool level etc. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your Gorilla.:) PS Their web site says 2 hp comes with free remote might make a deal etc.

TD

Rod Sheridan
04-17-2007, 8:36 AM
Hi Terry, if your cyclone motor does not have built in thermal protection, a starter, either manual or magnetic with the correct overload elements will be required.

You can check the motor nameplate, and see if it's marked "thermally protected". If it isn't, you cannot eliminate your starter, as that's what provides overload protection for your motor.

If your motor is thermally protected, you can remove the starter and use the remote device by itself.

As Jim suggested, you could use your remote device to control the magnetic starter, just make sure that you don't defeat the overload protection accidently. I would go with that option myself.

Regards, Rod.

terry hansen
04-17-2007, 8:50 AM
Thanks to all who responded. It turns out that I unknowingly have a super dust gorilla. I had ordered a regular and had let it set uninstalled for a bit (I won't say how long a bit is ;-) ) But upon viewing another post on installation realized mine didn't look like the regular gorilla as it wasn't in as many pieces, has a baldor motor, & wall bracket as opposed to angles, and when I looked at install instruction envelope again, the included decals for a super dust gorilla pretty much convinced me (never said I was quick). Called oneida and discovered the super DGs are prewired for remote and all I need is the magic wand to make it work. Simple solution and onced again great customer service from oneida.

Chris Merriam
04-17-2007, 1:09 PM
Terry, I went through the same steps as you. Before you order from Oneida, open up your starter box and take a look inside. If you don't have a big hunk of plastic transmitter in there (it's obvious it doesn't belong with all the electrical stuff) then make sure they send you the transmitter as well.

I guess mine was shipped before they started prewiring. They sent it for free but I had to wait a few days to get it.

Pete Brown
04-17-2007, 1:15 PM
Thanks to all who responded. It turns out that I unknowingly have a super dust gorilla. I had ordered a regular and had let it set uninstalled for a bit (I won't say how long a bit is ;-) ) But upon viewing another post on installation realized mine didn't look like the regular gorilla as it wasn't in as many pieces, has a baldor motor, & wall bracket as opposed to angles, and when I looked at install instruction envelope again, the included decals for a super dust gorilla pretty much convinced me (never said I was quick). Called oneida and discovered the super DGs are prewired for remote and all I need is the magic wand to make it work. Simple solution and onced again great customer service from oneida.

FYI. My remote foir my super gorilla (which didn't come with the "super" decal!) was hidden inside my starter/switch box. Check in there

Pete