PDA

View Full Version : 8" Jointer decision question

David Tiell
04-16-2007, 3:30 PM
If you had to choose between a good condition used Delta DJ-20 for $850 (local pickup) or a brand new Grizzly G0490 for $940 (including shipping), which would you choose? I'm leaning toward the Grizzly because I've seen a lot of good reviews on it and because it's new with a warranty. But looking for thought from others.

Thanks,

Dave

Mark Singer
04-16-2007, 3:35 PM
I used to have a DJ20 and it is a great joiner!

David Weaver
04-16-2007, 4:06 PM
I have also used the DJ-20 - a friend has one. It's a great jointer, and there isn't any reason I can't think of not to get it - unless you want a shelix head (which isn't hard to find, anyway).

The grizzly may be as good - I don't know - but I doubt it's better.

Paul Johnstone
04-16-2007, 4:11 PM
I'd buy the DJ-20, assuming that you are buying it from another hobbyist.

If you are buying it from a cabinet shop or something like that, it depends on how hard they used it.

The Griz might be fine, but the DJ20 has a longer track record, and you have a better chance of getting spare parts for it down the road. That's the thing with Griz that bothers me, they are continually discontinuing things.

I see that the Griz has a built in mobile base. Maybe it works ok, but I'm kind of disappointed with my planer's built in mobile base. I can't complain too much since it was "free", but it's not as nice as a real base.

Again, the Griz might be fine.. Not saying it's bad, only that I'd feel more comfortable with the Delta. Warrantee is never a big point when I make a decision.

David Tiell
04-16-2007, 5:35 PM
Thanks! This is just the kind of info I was hoping to find! I've actually had quite a bit of experience with the DJ-20, since the woodshop here on base has 2, but I wasn't sure what others thought about a used compared to a new Grizzly. It appears to be a popular choice and is definitely a proven machine and design.

Jason Simon
04-16-2007, 7:43 PM
If the DJ-20 is in good shape, I'd go for that. Not much can go wrong with a jointer, in my opinion, and they are not so terribly complex. The used DJ-20 will hold more value than a brand new Taiwanese machine (Griz, Yorkie, etc), and the parallel-o-gram adjustment is superior (keeps the space between the bed and the knives constant.

Plus, you can apply the savings on a Shelix head from Bryd.

No brainer in my opinion.