PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Lasers

ed mirzay
04-16-2007, 2:39 PM
Has anyone ever shipped a laser from a residence to a residence? If so, what means did you use? What packing material?

Joe Pelonio
04-16-2007, 2:48 PM
I used my own truck, with no packing at all. Just taped the head so it wouldn't move. The best, of course, is the orginal box that it came in.
Are you using a moving company? How far away?

Nancy Laird
04-16-2007, 3:07 PM
We picked up our second laser from Arkansas and brought it back to NM in a trailer. We removed the tube and were fortunate enough to have the original box, so the tube rode back in the back seat of the truck. We also taped the head. Made it just fine over those lousy Arkansas and Oklahome roads!!!

Nancy

Lee DeRaud
04-16-2007, 3:29 PM
The best, of course, is the orginal box that it came in.Agreed: if I had to do it, I'd check with a local dealer (in my case, Mike Mackenzie), and see if they had a "empty" from a recent sale/delivery.
We removed the tube and were fortunate enough to have the original box, so the tube rode back in the back seat of the truck.And if I had the factory box/packing material, I'd leave the tube in it.

Rob Bosworth
04-16-2007, 4:49 PM
Ed, we ship lasers all of the time. You can use a van line to ship a laser. I would plastic wrap it to resist the little bumps and bruises things get when the are handled. Secure the head so it does not slam back and forth. They can also be a little tough on casters. IF you want something a little more secure, you can always put the machine on a skid. IF you do not have a bander, go to your local hardware supply place and buy a couple of cinch down straps. Put your machine on the skid, I like to remove the casters, then use the nylon strapped with the little ratchet device on the end. Make sure you give them plenty of room to get the forks in and out without having to breakl your straps. You could mount a board to the top of the skid, then use some foam for cushioning between the laser and the board. The foam will help cushion shocks to the system during shipment.

Or, you can build a crate for the machine. Start with a skid. Put a deck on it. Then build your crate with a couple of inches to clear all around. Shrink/ plastic wrap the machine. Put onto the deck on the skid. Again, I like to use some foam under the machine to help cushion it. I then use 2X2's and build a stop all around the deck on the skid. I leave an inch all the way around between the 2X2's and the edge of the skid. Then build up your crate. I use 1/8 particle board for the sides, then use 1 X 4s around the edge of each piece. Put each wall up and screw it to the 2X2. After you get four walls up of your crate, put foam all around the machine to help hold it in place. Then use something soft between the top of the machine and the top of the crate. Put the lid on, and screw it on. I use 2" sheetrock screws for many of my crates. Then all you have to do is call UPS and order it to be picked up and that you will need a liftgate and pallet jack on both ends. This last method makes it pretty easy to get it from garage to garage.

If you need further help, please feel free to PM me, or contact us directly.

Rob Bosworth
ACCESS Business Solutions, Inc.
(715) 386-8021

ed mirzay
04-16-2007, 7:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses, fortunately I kept the original box and packaging which will make shipping more secure and less eventful.
Since I am shipping a mini18 by epilog the job will be easier, the unit fits in a 32x29x19 box and can easily be picked up. I am more concerned with how the box is handled during shipping.

Paul Proffitt
04-16-2007, 8:07 PM
If you do plan to ship it be sure to insure it. The best packing in the world won't keep a fork lift out of it. (DAMHIKT)

Todd Schwartz
04-17-2007, 12:24 PM
We may be moving our laser again - when it was shipped to us from the factory I believe the laser tube was installed. I have read on this thread and others about the recommendation of removing the laser tube before shipping. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Todd

Nancy Laird
04-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Todd, it was recommended to us that we remove the tube. I'm reading other responses that say don't bother. I guess that means that you call your manufacturer to see what they recommend. Personally, I'd rather remove it and keep it close than take the chance on a moving company dropping the machine and perhaps destroying the tube.

Nancy

Mike Mackenzie
04-17-2007, 5:05 PM
Todd,

With the Versa lasers it is not necessary to remove the tubes, You can but it is not necessary, The difference between Nancy's system and yours is your tube is held in with screws Nancy's just snap in and really don't need any tools to remove them from the system.

On yours you would need to remove the back cover and then two screws from the tube itself and then remove it from the system.

If you have the original packing for the system then don't worry about it if you are just packing the system into a box it might be worth it to remove the tube just for piece of mind if nothing else.

Todd Schwartz
04-17-2007, 5:09 PM
Thanks Mike - I am familiar with the screws - been there a couple of times. Appreciate the input.

Todd