PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and prayers...

Keith Starosta
04-16-2007, 1:09 PM
My family's thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that has been touched by the Virginia Tech shootings this morning. Terrible tragedy...:(

- Keith

Joe Pelonio
04-16-2007, 1:23 PM
Just turned on the radio, 25 dead, terrible tragedy. . .

Glenn Clabo
04-16-2007, 1:39 PM
Scary...My daughter is a VT grad!

Mario Lucchesi
04-16-2007, 1:47 PM
Such a pointless loss of life. A bit scarry as my son is off to college, you never think that something like that can happen.

Tyler Howell
04-16-2007, 2:34 PM
How Traggic

Phyllis Meyer
04-16-2007, 2:46 PM
A sad tragedy, and our thoughts and prayers will be with these families, and all who are affected by this. It truly causes one to think and be thankful for who and all we have in our lives.

Phyllis

Lou Ferrarini
04-16-2007, 2:48 PM
My son attends there. Was a little nerve racking until he called to say he was ok. He was in class when it happened, they locked down the whole campus.

I know it's premature but somebodys head should roll for this. The first shooting was reported about 8 AM and then the guy had time to walk all the way across campus before he started shooting at the engineering building. This is a pretty long walk. I sure would like to know why they didn't shut down the campus as soon as the first shots were fired. 30 lives might have been saved.

James Carmichael
04-16-2007, 3:09 PM
What a tragedy!

I'd like to add to that list the name of Marc Patterson, who was killed Friday evening when a tornado hit the lumberyard where he worked in Haltom City (TX). I was hugging the concrete below an overpass on TX 121 about a mile east of that lumberyard when the twister touched down.

Monday morning never looked so good!

Mitchell Andrus
04-16-2007, 3:38 PM
"Locking down" means nothing to a guy with a gun. If he was a student, he wouldn't have attracted any attention by walking to another building, and if approached by security he probably would have out-drawn and killed the officers anyway, then finished his plans.

Time will tell, but it's too soon to say heads should roll.

I've been on that campus - 100+ buildings, 30,000+ people. Lots of room to create a trajedy.

Aaron Koehl
04-16-2007, 3:47 PM
It is an incredible tragedy, and felt by those of us not just at Virginia Tech, but at all of its sister institutions of Higher Ed.

It could have just as easily been William and Mary (which is where I sit right now). Many friends of ours attend Virginia Tech--no word on whether any of them are among the casualties.

Dennis Peacock
04-16-2007, 4:21 PM
My thoughts and prayers for all those involved in the aweful incident.

Randy Moore
04-16-2007, 6:14 PM
I send Prayers and condolences to all involved.
This scares me as we all have friends' family and/acquaintances in colleges and high schools. I give thanks every time I see any of my family members.

Jerry Olexa
04-16-2007, 7:19 PM
Unbelievable, senseless tragedy! But I can understand how difficult it is on an everyday basis on a college campus to maintain security to prevent things like this. On most campuses, it would be easy for a killer to gain similar access IMHO...

John Shuk
04-16-2007, 8:41 PM
God bless those who have suffered because of this.

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2007, 8:50 PM
I too add my prayers. I've been watching this all day on the internet. The one reason I heard that they didn't lock down the campus is they thought the first incident was isolated, a domestic problem with a girlfriend. Hind sight says they should have been more careful and erred on the safe side. My thought is that total lockdowns will become the norm from now on. It's just a tragedy that 29 others had to die, and 20 something others injured, to probably make that statement true. Jim.

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-16-2007, 9:58 PM
I just can't understand why people that get depressed feel it's necessary to kill families, their children, or randamly shooting a large number of strangers. I know there are those that will disagree, but I wish they would go into a corner and end it!

Those young folks and their families will be in my thoughts.

Bruce

Boyd Gathwright
04-17-2007, 1:46 AM
....Bruce, my feelings are similar, I just can't help but to think that since we have invited God out of our schools this is going to be the result. And it's going to get worse!

My sincerest condolences and prayers to the families and all involved.

I just can't understand why people that get depressed feel it's necessary to kill families, their children, or randamly shooting a large number of strangers. I know there are those that will disagree, but I wish they would go into a corner and end it!

Those young folks and their families will be in my thoughts.

Bruce

Jonathon Spafford
04-17-2007, 3:29 AM
I just can't help but to think that since we have invited God out of our schools this is going to be the result. And it's going to get worse!

Ya... kicked God out more like!! Kinda scary!

It isn't always depression though that causes these happenings... many do it because they have evil minds!

I really feel sorry for these families... it's gotta be tough! My prayers are with these families too!

Bill Lewis
04-17-2007, 5:59 AM
I am a VA Tech egineering grad and alumni, and I spent the better part of my academic career in Norris Hall. It was where my degree program offices (ESM) were located. It was my my home building. Everything was centered about it. Even after 20 years, this still somehow make me feel violated. It is very tragic, and my heart goes out to all of the families who have been directly affected by this heinous act.

Jason Roehl
04-17-2007, 7:04 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the killed and injured.

This tragedy will certainly lead to many discussion of guns, God and politics, however, this is not the forum for that. Those conversations have never been welcome here, in part because they rarely maintain a civil tone due to the myriad of strongly-held opinions and beliefs. Let's not go there and attract the ire of our moderators and administrators.

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2007, 7:52 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the killed and injured.

This tragedy will certainly lead to many discussion of guns, God and politics, however, this is not the forum for that. Those conversations have never been welcome here, in part because they rarely maintain a civil tone due to the myriad of strongly-held opinions and beliefs. Let's not go there and attract the ire of our moderators and administrators.

Well said Jason, as we all know the gun control debate has already heated up - again. I hope that we can have a time of mourning and remembrance to honor the 32 innocent lives wasted. There is plenty of time for debate once the healing starts.

My heart goes out to those who have been affected by these senseless killings.

Anthony Welch
04-17-2007, 9:53 AM
I and my family pray for those involved at VT. I also pray that I myself have enlightened my 17yr old daughter.

As I work nights, when I awoke yesterday afternoon. My daughter was anxious and had several questions of "Why didn't they do this... Why didn't they do that...?" Having not seen any details of this particular incident, I defeated everything she asked. I'm not someone who studies on how to hurt or kill someone else. But I wanted her to know that no matter what steps you take, there are those out there who want to hurt and kill w/o regard for themselves or others. I concluded to her to trust in God, herself and her capabilities to protect herself first and then others that she can. This morning she went to band camp at a local junior college, I hugged her hard, kissed her and said have a good time.

We must not stop living and I hope as those involved at VT can carry on living as well.

Jonathon Spafford
04-17-2007, 1:18 PM

Sorry... wasn't intending to start any debates... just agreeing with what Boyd said. I do have my strong opinions on these issues, but I also agree this forum isn't the place to debate 'em!

Jason Roehl
04-17-2007, 9:35 PM
No sweat, Jonathan. I'm not disagreeing, I've just been here long enough to have a pretty good idea of where things will go when certain types of things are said, and I'd hate to see a big ol' controversy take over this thread. Remember, we're "member moderated" here.

That massacre is just mind boggling. The dude actually chained the doors so that no one could leave or enter while he did his deed. Obviously disturbed. Just sad all around.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Religion and politics aren't subjects allowed here and IMHO didn't have anything to do with this. The guy who did it was from another country but was a legal registered alien. But even that didn't have anything to do with it. In the same tone as Bruce.......I can't understand why one has to take someone with them?.......I can see someone killing another human being to defend themself or loved ones. I can see where one has to kill to defend their country. I can't help but wonder how the human mind can become so distorted that it can justify the murder of so many people ....young or old ......regardless of where they were located.

One professor, an Israeli, survived the holocaust in Romania, and yesterday gave his life so some young VT students could escape. What bravery....what a final tribute to be remembered by.....what a profound act of courage and sacrifice.......an act that transcends national boundaries.......transcends religion.......a TRUE HERO....not someone who survives an incident and the new media proclaim that person a hero rather than survivor........this huMAN was a true HERO.....I never met him.....I will miss him!.......The human race will miss him! May the memories of his life and final courageous act be talked about for generations to come.

It's sad so many innocent lives were lost yesterday. Sadder still that the innocence of the many college students at VT was lost yesterday! Welcome to reality.......sad as it may be at times.

John A Walker
04-18-2007, 7:44 AM
I dare not comment on the tragedy itself. I can't find words that wouldn't vilify.

However, Blessed Be to the souls of the victims and may their families and friends find consolation from their good memories, and strength from their own beliefs.

John (UK)

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-18-2007, 9:02 AM
My wife matriculated from Radford when it was an all girl's school. The whole area is so lovely and earthy it's almost impossible to contemplate such horror.

Mark Pruitt
04-18-2007, 9:46 AM
Our local paper this morning has the headline, "We're all Hokies." Around here the rivalry between VT and UVa is pretty intense, but today there are no rivals. Only friends. As Aaron said, this could happen anywhere.

I do take issue with referring to this as a tragedy. This was not a tragedy. It was a cold blooded crime committed by a cold blooded killer. I have very mixed feelings about the fact that he killed himself.

Belinda Barfield
04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Our local paper this morning has the headline, "We're all Hokies." Around here the rivalry between VT and UVa is pretty intense, but today there are no rivals. Only friends. As Aaron said, this could happen anywhere.

I do take issue with referring to this as a tragedy. This was not a tragedy. It was a cold blooded crime committed by a cold blooded killer. I have very mixed feelings about the fact that he killed himself.

IMHO most of those referring to this as a "tragedy" are thinking of the families and friends of the victims. I'm guessing none of us feel the final killing was a tragedy, unless it is with respect to the fact that it was just another young life taken - even if it was his own.

Mark Pruitt
04-18-2007, 12:38 PM
IMHO most of those referring to this as a "tragedy" are thinking of the families and friends of the victims. I'm guessing none of us feel the final killing was a tragedy, unless it is with respect to the fact that it was just another young life taken - even if it was his own.
Maybe so, Belinda, but when we refer to events like this as "tragedies," we afford the perpetrators far more dignity than they deserve. Tragedies are caused by unfortunate circumstances. The VT killings were caused by a criminal. Mount St Helens, Andrew, Katrina...these were tragedies. Columbine, OK City, 9/11, Monday's terror at VT...these were acts of barbarism that were committed by animals that deserve less dignity than the compost I use to fertilize the soil in my yard. Actually I know of many animals (like my dog for example) to which I should apologize for associating them with creeps who commit these acts of terror.

BTW, I was not trying to redirect this thread away from its purpose of honoring the victims, but I needed to clarify what I was saying. Let's keep this thread on track.

joe greiner
04-19-2007, 7:54 AM
My first post here, so please forgive any deviations. According to literary theory, "tragedy" exists when the protagonist's personality contains a flaw which precipitates the outcome. That seems to be the case here, but many details are yet to be discovered. And anyone who thinks there's a simple solution is on a fool's errand.

This situation has a special dimension for me. I earned my degrees at VT, and briefly taught introductory structural engineering in Norris Hall, if not in one of the actual rooms then on the floor above. (About 30 years ago, so memory isn't perfect.)

Yesterday, I attended a mourning and counseling session at Tallahassee Community College. It was ennobling to witness the solidarity of these young folk with the VT population, and gives me hope for mankind after all.

Sorry if this comes across as a rant. I'd rather be woodworking.

Joe

Mitchell Andrus
04-19-2007, 8:09 AM
Welcome to to the Creek, Joe.

Now that we have the NBC package, well, as one phychiatrist said... There is no reasoning with a mind that sees these activities as justified.

Common sence goes out the window, finding purpose and meaning (even to the shooter) is futile.

Bill Lewis
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Friday, April 20th Is Orange & Maroon Effect Day. You don't have to be a Hokie to wear the colors. Show your support by wearing them. See the attachment.

From an official email I received today,

...many people have been asking what they can do to support Virginia Tech. Individuals, in their personal capacity, may send expressions of condolences to Virginia Tech at:

Hokies United
321 Squires Student Center
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061

or to:

Virginia Tech Foundation
Virginia Tech Family Fund
University Development
902 Prices Fork Road (0336)
Blacksburg, VA 24061

Belinda Barfield
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Thank you for posting this info Bill. I have e-mailed it to everone I know. Maybe tomorrow there will be a sea of Orange and Maroon as far as the eye can see.

Mark Pruitt
04-19-2007, 1:34 PM
From an official email I received today...
Bill, do you mind sharing the source of the "official" email? Before I email this to colleagues, I can anticipate that they will ask me.

Bill Lewis
04-19-2007, 2:12 PM
Mark,
I work for the Navy (R&D Engineer), the two addresses came through our official chain of command, from the top of NAVSEA, VADM Sullivan. I figured if was endorsed by him, it was worth passing along. His message also included the "Hokie Hope" banner.

The "Hokie Hope" aka, the "Orange & Maroon Effect day" is an Alumni sponsored event. See www.vt.edu (http://www.vt.edu) for more information regarding additional tributes and memorial funds. I was able to verify the second address on the Tech web site. Donations can also be made online. A list of memorial services and events from arond the country can also be found there.

I also heard from my wife that people are asked to wear their own school logos to show support (she's a Penn State Alum) since not everyone has Orange & Maroon in their closets. I don not know the validity of this, but it is a nice gesture.

jeremy levine
04-20-2007, 8:45 AM
The world has a new hero Liviu Libescu. From what I read a true hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liviu_Librescu ( the same story has been coverd in most major papers )

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2007, 9:36 AM
One professor, an Israeli, survived the holocaust in Romania, and yesterday gave his life so some young VT students could escape. What bravery....what a final tribute to be remembered by.....what a profound act of courage and sacrifice.......an act that transcends national boundaries.......transcends religion.......a TRUE HERO....not someone who survives an incident and the new media proclaim that person a hero rather than survivor........this huMAN was a true HERO.....I never met him.....I will miss him!.......The human race will miss him! May the memories of his life and final courageous act be talked about for generations to come.

Jeremy.....that's the person I was referring to.....A TRUE HERO!

jeremy levine
04-20-2007, 9:59 AM
I've read so much about V Tech I might have missed your post , didn't mean to "step on your post"

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Didn't step on my toes....I hope I didn't step on yours.....Not enough can be said about this act of heroism!

Mark Pruitt
04-20-2007, 4:47 PM
One of my jobs as chaplain to the organization I work for is to help employees who are grieving in the wake of events like the acts of terror this past Monday. Because of our proximity to Blacksburg, many in this place bear a special connection to Virginia Tech. The grieving I have personally watched this week has been touching to say the least. I have led three separate observances in which those present could acknowledge their grief, and each has been profound.

It is Friday, and I am now left with the memories of this week and I know myself well enough to know that next week my focus will be elsewhere. But what do I do with this week?

Ross, Jamie, Brian, Ryan, Austin, Jocelyne, Daniel, Kevin, Matthew, Caitlin, Jeremy, Rachael, Emily, Matthew, Jarrett, Henry, Liviu, G.V., Partahi, Lauren, Daniel, Juan, Minal, Erin, Michael, Julia, Mary, Reema, Waleed, Leslie, Maxine, Nicole.......the world is poorer for having lost you. May the memories you leave behind feed the passions of those who wish to influence this world for good.

Light will always overcome darkness.

Jonathon Spafford
04-20-2007, 8:44 PM
Jeremy.....that's the person I was referring to.....A TRUE HERO!

I heard a guy on a radio talkshow complain on the extensive coverage of the killer and trying to figure out his intents... the facts are he was evil and he committed mass murder - what else could his intents be but to kill, eh?! The guy wished that they spent more time covering heroes like this man! This man, Liviu Libescu, saw a whole lot more hardship and suffering than this murderer ever saw! It is really a paradox that this Libescu would give his life, after all he suffered, to save victims from being gunned down by a kid with an "inferiority complex"! What a wonderful man! What a hero! Thanks Jeremy for posting that link!