PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Lidded Box

Bob Opsitos
04-16-2007, 12:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/walnutliddedbox1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/walnutliddedbox2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/walnutliddedbox.jpg

Made this weekend from a thick branch section of walnut. Thankfully the pith was severely offset in the branch so i could get the size I needed without including it.

Made so I can drag my colored pencils to meetings. Really helpful during branstorm meetings when showing a cross section of a mechanism. Keeping them in the cardboard box was so pedestrian. :D

First lidded box I've made so it was quite an experience. I need to read up on the techinque to see where what I did could be improved. Mainly maintaining better concentricity between the two sections.

Also at the bottom of the lower section I tried to use the Sorby texturing tool to give it some interest, but I couldn't get it to cut as clean as I would have liked. Still I left the texture but there was some tear out. It was especially noticeable on the sapwood.

Thanks for looking
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Bob that is a beauty. My wife saw it so guess what. I will be making one. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Really nice little piece... I really like it! The shape is simple, but looks cool. The finish also looks great as does the wood! Great work!

Pat Salter
04-16-2007, 1:03 PM
Made so I can drag my colored pencils to meetings. Really helpful during branstorm meetings when showing a cross section of a mechanism. Keeping them in the cardboard box was so pedestrian. :D

First lidded box I've made so it was quite an experience. I need to read up on the techinque to see where what I did could be improved. Mainly maintaining better concentricity between the two sections.

Also at the bottom of the lower section I tried to use the Sorby texturing tool to give it some interest, but I couldn't get it to cut as clean as I would have liked. Still I left the texture but there was some tear out. It was especially noticeable on the sapwood.

Thanks for looking
Bob[/QUOTE]

My kids have been telling me for years that I'm old but I don't think i've ever been to a "branstorming" meeting :rolleyes:
Nice little box and by taking it with you others will see what you are doing and you'll have no time at all around Christmas. I wasn't too impressed at first about the shape but after looking at it a bit I like it.
I'm not sure what your steps were to do the box. You were concerned about trying to get "better concentricity between the two sections". What I try to do (got this from the Raffan book on boxes), mount the top first, finish the inside complete, mount the bottom, cut a tenon for the top to fit tightly (like a jam chuck), put the top on (hold with tailstock if needed), cut and finish the sides, remove the tailstock and cut and finish the lid ( I usually tape the pieces together), remove the lid, finish the inside of the bottom, part off the bottom, make a jam chuck (usually from the scrap that's left from the bottom), jam the bottom on to the jam chuck, cut and finish the bottom.

as for the texturing....I'm never used one of those. I have a "chatter" tool and I know that it only works on end grain.

but, like I said before, nice little box. keep it up.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-16-2007, 1:52 PM
Bob, I like the form and finish on this box. really looks cool with the pencils. Great Job!:)

Bob Opsitos
04-16-2007, 2:22 PM
My kids have been telling me for years that I'm old but I don't think i've ever been to a "branstorming" meeting :rolleyes:
about trying to get "better concentricity between the two sections". What I try to do (got this from the Raffan book on boxes), mount the top first, finish the inside complete, mount the bottom, cut a tenon for the top to fit tightly (like a jam chuck), put the top on (hold with tailstock if needed), cut and finish the sides, remove the tailstock and cut and finish the lid ( I usually tape the pieces together), remove the lid, finish the inside of the bottom, part off the bottom, make a jam chuck (usually from the scrap that's left from the bottom), jam the bottom on to the jam chuck, cut and finish the bottom.

Took me a bit to notice the "branstorming". Sounds like a terriblely unpleasant meeting to be in. Or maybe be around 30 minutes afterwards. :D

I basically did the box outside to inside. Completely opposite to yours. To maintain concentricity of the outside when assembled, the way you described sounds the way to go. And after reading it I recall that I've read that procedure before, just didn't occur to me when I was making it.

thanks
bob

Don Orr
04-16-2007, 3:00 PM
That's a very nice box and useful too. The others at your meetings will be jealous. I find it hard to believe this is your first box as I can see nothing that needs any improvement. You nailed it first try. I really like the included sapwood. Adds lots of visual interest.

Frank Kobilsek
04-16-2007, 3:55 PM
Bob
That is a excellant first box. The Raffan book or Kip Christiansen's book would make it easier, but it looks like you figured it out on your own.

Next box especially a tall box like this make the tenon a little longer. Its easier to get a good fit and it will insure that the fit will last a long time.

Frank