PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

Peter Stahl
04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Looking to get binoculars to replace the ones my son made off with. Last ones were 10 X 50 (I think) bushnell's. Would like something stronger but would like to stay around $100 if possible. What brand and place to buy them would you recommend? Not going to do much in the way of bird watching. I like to check out the turkey's and deer in the field behind my house. I also take them to the beach to spot dolphins and other creatures at the beach.

thanks, Pete

Jerry Clark
04-16-2007, 3:07 PM
Peter-- Wally World has 12X50 by Bushnell for $59. Great optics for the price. :D

Al Wasser
04-16-2007, 3:54 PM
You might check Cabela's. Realize that as you get into the higher powers (10+) binocs tend to get heavier and also hard to hold steady. If you are spying on critters from your house you might consider a spotting scope set up on a tripod. You can also get an adapter for a spotting scope that will attach to a partially rolled down car or truck window. Game dept folks use spotting scopes for a lot of game surveys. You might corral one of those folks for an opinion and look see at what they use

Peter Stahl
04-17-2007, 8:16 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies. Don't think I'll go with the spotting scope, a little too big to carry around. I will check out the Bushnell's at Wally World though. Thanks again.

Al Wasser
04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
I got a Cabela's sale catalog yesterday. You can have both for under $80. Spotting scope and 10x binocs

Lee Schierer
04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a pair of Nikon Action EX binoculars and I really like them. I wear glasses and they are the one of the few pairs that allow a full field of view to glasses wearers. The eye cups can be adjusted to accomodate non-glasses wearers as well. The optics are also very clear and bright and they don't weigh a ton.

Joe Chritz
04-18-2007, 7:47 PM
All the nocs in the $100 range will be very similar.

If you decide to look at a higher quality the Leopold Wind River imported was impossible to beat.

Optics on par with Zeiss and half the cost. I got mine used for $100 but would gladly pay retail now that I own them. They get used regularly and are bounced around in a car 40+ a week for a few years now.

Also anything bigger 10x is hard to use unless you have a rest or a very high end with image stabilizer.

Joe

Joe Mioux
04-18-2007, 8:53 PM
Also, look at some of the reconditioned ones or factory returns. Ppl buy these things don't like them and then return them. Mfr can't sell as new, even though they are.

I have Nikon 10x25 which have been wonderfull binos. I got them 10 years ago. I bought these for $100.

At the same time, I also got Cabela 10x50's, which are really great. They were around $250-$300 ten years ago.

It is hard to beat 50mm glass for light accumulation.

Anyway good luck with the hunt.

Joe

Peter Stahl
04-19-2007, 6:04 PM
Thanks again for the replies. Too many options out there, may take a while to pick one.

Bruce Boone
04-19-2007, 8:53 PM
Peter, you would do best to go there and actually try them. There are huge differences when seeing through them. Be sure you find a spot very far away and just try the different models. I was very pleased with the Leupold ones I got from Wal-Mart. There were others more expensive and less expensive, but these seemed to me to be by far the best when looking through them. I'm very happy with them. I find a lot of satellites with them after dark.