PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Good Morning,

It sure is good to be home.

I spent last week in Philly for the day job and I took, well I should say that I had the opportunity to go and visit with Jim Becker and his lovely family. Jim and I exchanged bowls for gifts, I toured his wonderful home and shop and all but lusted over his LN low angle block plane. It just felt so good in my hands and worked so well. I had a very nice time with The Becker's and many thanks to them for their hospitality.

Sunday was a day I'll remember for a long time. Sam Maloof was in Little Rock and I got to go and meet him in person, sit and talk with him like we've known each other for years and have dinner with Sam Maloof, his wife Beverly, and the others that attended. What a humble man, very funny, and yet very caring about every woodworker. I am very grateful for the chance to meet and talk with Sam Maloof as I thought that I would never get to see anyone like this in my lifetime.

BTW, Congrats to Mark Cothren as Sam Maloof purchased one of his turned bowls out of the Historical Art Center!! Congrats Mark!!!!!

Today is as much shop time as I can get and I have to report back to work tomorrow.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Saturday I finished turning spindles for a Creeker's wheel on his sail boat.

Sunday........I relaxed...........

Zahid Naqvi
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
By now you all know Sam Maloof was in town, so that took care of our weekend. Sam did a demo at the WWing studio of University of Arkansas at Little Rock, the shop is primarily used as a teaching shop for students. Our own Joe Meazle had a bench (he is in the process of making for the class) sitting by his work area. Well Sam is walking around the shop and really liked the bench, made several comments about the design etc and that it would fit right into a gallery, you must have seen some pictures of Sam sitting on the said bench in Rick's post.

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I finished painting the shop! See here for pictures:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14427&page=4
Now to start making built in benches! Jim.

Nancy Laird
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Dennis, I really envy you and Joe and Mark and Zahid for your opportunity to meet Sam Maloof. What a treat that must have been for all of you!!

My weekend? Well, I turned my first bottle stopper - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56145 - and got some nice words about it. I can tell you, the response here is encouraging me to do more. We also picked up two new laser customers last week and produced one batch of plaques from 1/8" birch ply to be applied to furniture, and another batch of logos from stick-on veneer. Both are ready to be shipped. Busy weekend for us - nice to be back at the office for a while where it's not quite so frantic.

Happy week, everyone!!

Nancy

Tim Malyszko
04-16-2007, 11:48 AM
That's pretty cool seeing Sam Maloof in action.

Saturday was nasty outside so I spent all day studying for the GMAT - not very fun.

Sunday, I managed to use just about every power tool I own to add some drawer supports to a blanket chest I'm building. Putting together a rectangular matrix that consisted of 2, 2.5" x 41.25" pieces of poplar and 4, 2.5" x 13.75" pieces of poplar and then attaching it to the blanket chest required the table saw, drill press, mortiser, ROS, Biscuit Joiner, jointer, planer, band saw, tenoning jig, dust collector and spindle sander. I cannot forget the 20 clamps I used when I actually attached the drawer supports to the chest and then glued it all up. The results were better than expected. Woodworking is so much fun when you have all the right tools.

Dan Gill
04-16-2007, 1:23 PM
I got most of the red oak milled up and mainly ripped for the dresser I'm building for my daughter.

Oh, and I learned the hard way not to use 1/8" red oak for a bentwood lamination. Or at least not to do it the way I did. The lamination worked just fine, but when I jointed one face, I got terrific chipping, enough to start huge splinters peeling off the outside face. Naturally, I was going against the grain on that piece. So I suppose I must make sure the grain is going the right direction. Red oak seems a little splintery for this anyway.

Tyler Howell
04-16-2007, 1:30 PM
Didn't get a whole lot done. :o Beatiful weekend.
Did see a bunch of guys I haven't seen for 40 years. Good time.

Did my honey dos and chilled the rest of the time.

Al Willits
04-16-2007, 1:54 PM
Not the greatest weekend for me, a bit of miscomunication with Tyler left me waiting for a phone call from him, and him at the resturant....waiting for me.
Sorry T

Also attacked the cabinet with my flush trim router bit and something didn't go right, ended up taking some of the plywood side off along with the oak trim piece I had to frame the opening.:(
Did the rest with a cabinet scraper, took a lot longer but looks much better.

Did discover that if I put some of that blue tape on the not proud piece that I can hold the scraper horizontal and it won't scratch the lower piece, and when the scraper starts to take the tape off, its very close to level and a bit of sanding is all that's needed.

So all in all, not the best of weekends, but the weather was great and we did a bit of BBQing sunday

Al

Mark Pruitt
04-16-2007, 2:05 PM
This was a weekend where I was thankful to have an indoor hobby! Rain, rain, rain. And too cold.:( But it was a fairly good weekend in the shop, as I completed a tool cabinet to hold turning accessories. Then I finish-turned two spalted maple bowls.

When will spring ever come?

John Bush
04-16-2007, 2:26 PM
Hi Dennis,
I had brunch with Elvis and the Pope, but that pales with regard to having dinner with Jim Becker, et al, in Pa. and then Sam Maloof at home. Congrats. John

P.S. How is the base plate wax supply?? JCB.

Eddie Watkins
04-16-2007, 4:53 PM
I had a root canal Friday and from there it went downhill. I spent Saturday trying to put in sink and garbage disposer where the outlet drain came out of the wall too high( I hate plumbing:mad: ). Had to tear the wall out to try to lower the drain pipe so stuff would actually roll down hill. THis is due to the lower drain hole on the garbage disposer. Finally got frustrated and tore out entry door and replaced it to get away from the plumbing. Went back Sunday for more plumbing ( I hate plumbing:mad: ). Still could not get to the pipe well enough to get it lowered. Glad to be back at work so I don't have to do plumbing.:)

Eddie

Charles Wilson
04-16-2007, 4:56 PM
Most of my weekend was spent waiting around for this nice surprise.

Chuck

Andrew Williams
04-16-2007, 5:00 PM
Me too, only it showed up today... had 11 inches when I cleared it around lunchtime.

Karl Laustrup
04-16-2007, 5:19 PM
Howdy Dennis.

Sounds like you had just about the best weekend of any of us. And last week with Mr. Becker to boot. Were you able to get your head through the door when you got home? ;) :D Mine woulda been swelled up big time. :eek: :D

Spent part of Saturday milling up some hickory for a project involving hiding the duct work for the stove vent/fan. Then we celebrated our oldest sons B-Day by taking him and his GF to Madison to the Captains Quarters. It's a grill your own steak place and it was very good. About a 20 oz. steak and baked potato and salad. YUM! YUM!

Sunday was relax day and watch the Texas race. Thought Junior was gonna get that one, but not to be.

Y'all have a good week.

Karl

Justin McCurdy
04-16-2007, 5:19 PM
I ended up tearing out a wood storage shelf to replace it with 2, moving a 4'x7'x18" cabinet so that I could move the stack of red oak plywood just so I could take measurements for the 19' workbench I plan on putting in. So things don't become too cumbersome, I think I will cut and assemble each cabinet by itself. That way I can use the assembled portions to store the stray tools as I go. I also assembled a cheapo outdoor bench and will complete the other tonight. Not super sturdy, especially for my frame, but for $20 and 45 minutes of assembly time, it will suffice until it either falls apart or I get time to make something to replace it. I was also able to cut down some laminate so that I could move its location to a much safer area of the shop. I don't know how many sheets I messed up because they are 4x10 and thin.

Earl Reid
04-16-2007, 9:17 PM
Our 6yr old Grandson:) from Maryland spent the past week with us. We made a bird house and some piggy banks. Went to get some curly cherry for a very special project coming up. We met our daughter in Pa to give him back on sat..
Earl

Jim Becker
04-16-2007, 9:54 PM
I spent most of Saturday digging a ditch...fortunately, with the nice Orange power tool that has a small backhoe on the, well...back. I was anticipating that said ditch would help an area on our property near the road to drain better with the anticipated rain and I also cleaned off the sewer drain grate on the side of the road for the same reason. (The state never touches it...) Well...it did help the water move downhill better, but there was so much water that it will likely still be draining for days to come. We got something like 5 inches of rain...have several "lakes" on the property and the roof over our master bedroom leaked again. (Glad it's getting replaced as part of our addition project!) The fish pond has been pumped down a few times, too...

I also cut down a few small trees in the same area to help clean it up a bit. I only had a little fuel for the chainsaw "in stock", so it was good they were small. :)

glenn bradley
04-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Made some progress on a base for the new DP (future gloat), some progress on the new workbench and some finishing on a corner cabinet. Spent the rest of the weekend digging stuff outta the rafters for a garage sale coming up at the LOML's mom's house.

Andy Haney
04-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Finished the taxes! Not fun, but necessary.

Andy

mark page
04-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Finished assembling some coat/school bag racks for the kids. Plus a couple extra orders for friends Saturday. Then the first nice day after the weeks freeze came the call of the wild and had to go crappie fishing. Then the call from a friend for a midnight walleye fishing extravaganza!!! My LOML is starting to feel it's a conspiracy (never to cold to fish but always too cold to spray lacquer). Gotta work on this excuse!!!