PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maloof in Little Rock

Zahid Naqvi
04-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Rick has posted his pictures so I guess it's about time I posted some of mine, and a note about Sam.

Sam is the first high profile woodworker I have met so far (with all due respect to Dennis P ;) ) as such I wasn't sure what he would be like. To say teh least I was not prepared for what Sam turned out to be. We all talk about how friendly and brotherly the woodworking community is in general. Let me tell you Sam Maloof personifies that definition. He is as down to earth and humble a person as you can imagine. As you can see from my pictures I was in complete awe of the man, and not knowing him I was expecting a little air of aloofness so I was respecting his personal space. But the guy just sticks his hand and wraps it around your shoulders. He will smack your shoulder when you make funny comment. You can sit or stand next to him and it would feel like you have known each other for years. He had a talk/presentation at the arts center tonight, afterwords we were standing around talking about all kinds of stuff (and let me tell you he's got some stories to tell) but he never tires or shows any signs of displeasure for a bunch of guys surrounding him all the time. His wife and some of the organizers had to remind him a few times that he has an early 7 am flight, or else he would have stood there all night chatting with us.

For someone who can sell a double rocker for 100K he sure behaves like just an ordinary WWer. He was showing some steps of how he makes certain parts of his chairs. Once he got on the bandsaw he got so engrossed by what he was doing that he completely lost track of time. I thought if the organizers hadn't imterrupt him he would have finished the whole chair.

This weekend was probably the highlight of my WWing life, because I don't know if I will ever meet anyone with such name recognition with so much humility.

Here are some of my pictures, I apologise for the out of focus pictures, I had turned off the flash to not cause any interruption and the digital point and shoot didn't bahave well in low light.

Showing the designs of some of the chairs

Doing his thing on the bandsaw

Complaining about how the Nicholson 49 and 50 are so much better than the rasps available at the shop. With Joe Meazle watching intently in the background.

Zahid Naqvi
04-15-2007, 11:57 PM
A few more

Rick DeRogue with Sam (sorry dude I still haven't gotten used the digital delay)

By Saturday night I had discovered all the washed out pictures, so I made sure I got atleast one more today (Sunday) with the flash turned on.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2007, 12:01 AM
All I can say is "Lucky Duck!" Congrats Zahid! It's nice to know someone as skilled and famous as Sam Maloof is a real personblbe person!

Mark Singer
04-16-2007, 9:49 AM
He is an amazing guy! A a pleasure to be around....He still looks great!...I love his sketches....he can draw very well and the proportions are always very true to life....You have to love this guy !

jeremy levine
04-16-2007, 9:58 AM
Seems like a great day, nice to see a 90+ year old man pushing lumber through a band saw. :)