PDA

View Full Version : Completed Project & Belated Tool Gloats

Paul Fitzgerald
04-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Hello all!

Here are my belated tool gloats...

First, my DeWALT CMS. After a lot of research into price vs. features vs. capacity, I chose the DW716. At the time it was $359, but had a 10% HD coupon. Then two days later, Lowes had it 15% off. So I went back to HD, who price matched the 15% and still gave me my 10%. Out the door with tax for $295!

Next, my DeWALT Biscuit Jointer. Same thing here... lots of research... price vs. features... I chose the DW682K. I caught a Friday sale at Amazon and picked it up for $149 shipped.

Finally, my DeWALT ROS. Ditto the research here as well. I would have picked up the Bosch, but I seem to be drowning in coupons these days. Lowes gave me the D26453K for $75 and are mailing me a $20 gift card. So I'll just call that $55.

I don't normally stick with all the same brand. Most of the time I pick what I feel gives me the biggest bang for the buck, regardless of whether it's DeWALT, PC, Delta, etc. I just got lucky 3 times in a row and couldn't help myself.

Now on to the completed project...

My fiance wanted a planter for our patio. Seeing my chance, I immediately said "Honey, I'd love to build a beautiful cedar planter for you." That worked like a charm. So we looked online for some plans to give me a starting point and found a cute little planter with some nice curves.

The plans called for the main box to be made from painted MDO plywood, but I used Western Red Cedar for the whole thing. A few small changes later and it was done. I liked it raw, but my fiance talked me into putting a finish on it. So we chose a nice natural red cedar finish. The final product is seen below.

So there ya go fellas! Thanks for your time!

Paul

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Nice gloats and an excellent project! Well done Paul.

Jeff Miller
04-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Nice looking work and tools:D

P.S. Get used to "getting talked into things" women are like that. And don't tell her I said that;)

Charles Jackson III
04-24-2007, 5:40 PM
beautiful peice, and nice tool gloat.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-24-2007, 5:57 PM
Thanks everyone!

My fiancée just went to the nursery today and picked up a nice flowering plant to put in the planter.

Paul

Mark Engel
04-24-2007, 6:08 PM
Very nice looking planter.

Every project deserves at least one new tool, until you run out of space. ;)

glenn bradley
04-24-2007, 8:29 PM
Ahhh, the tools have done well but, they don't do it alone. Very nice work and belated gloat.

Don Bullock
04-24-2007, 9:18 PM
It looks like you got some great deals on your DW toys .... errrrr tools. Your fiance's project turned out very nice. I like the curves in the design. I'm sure she'll love it for a long time. Congratulations on your multiple gloat.

Dave Hale
04-25-2007, 8:53 AM
Paul,

Nice work and good purchases! Really like the curves. Post the plans if you got them.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-25-2007, 9:19 AM
Paul,

Nice work and good purchases! Really like the curves. Post the plans if you got them.

Thanks!

I bought the plans here: http://store.woodstore.net/paplbox.html

Paul

Rich Torino
04-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Great gloat, great piece of work.