PDA

View Full Version : Computer question - Need Hard Drive advice.

Joe Tonich
12-28-2003, 10:57 AM
The Hard Drive died on my sons (9 & 10yrs old) computer a while ago and I want to replace it instead of buying a new one. There are so many different ones out there that I'm confused on what one to get. :confused: They have the Encyclopedia, games, etc.. on the dead one. I'd like to get something that won't be needing replaced too soon because it's too small or soon to be obsolete. Also, would I have to buy a new Windows program to run it? If so, what would be your recommendation?

Thanks,

Joe

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Mornin' Joe....Nice to here that you travel to Bama once in a while...my old home state. Lived there 35 years before moving to Arkansas. What a change that was..!!!

On the hard drive.....go to www.newegg.com and look around for a 40 Gigabyte hard drive or better. I believe I saw a Maxtor 40G drive for something like $52 or maybe it was $62......You won't need a new windows program to run it.....at least I don't think so.....What version of Windows was the boys running on their computer?

Joe Tonich
12-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Mornin' Joe....Nice to here that you travel to Bama once in a while...my old home state. Lived there 35 years before moving to Arkansas. What a change that was..!!!

On the hard drive.....go to http://www.newegg.com and look around for a 40 Gigabyte hard drive or better. I believe I saw a Maxtor 40G drive for something like $52 or maybe it was $62......You won't need a new windows program to run it.....at least I don't think so.....What version of Windows was the boys running on their computer?

Hi Dennis,

The computer was running Win/98 1st edition. Would a 40Gb be big enough do you think? I've seen 120 & 250 for sale also. Does this drive have anything to do with virtual memory? I don't know if the programs they have on my comp. cause it but the V.M. is too low on mine. I asked before on how high it's supposed to be and it's at the right setting.

Thanks & hope you have a Happy New Year,

Joe - Hoping to be SOUTH of the Mason/Dixon line soon!

Mike Evertsen
12-28-2003, 5:28 PM
Joe the hard drive is a storage room,,,the ram is the memory you might need to upgrade that if your not at least up to 128 but 256 is better if your computer's mother board will handle it,,,but if it's an old computer you might be better off replacing it you can pickup decent computers for around 600.00

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-28-2003, 9:39 PM
I would really check first to see if a computer that old can support one of the new hard drives. I know the old Dell I had wouldn't support the newer hard drives. May be better to bite the bullet and get a newer, not necessarily a new computer. Much newer used
computers can be pretty inexpensive since you don't have to get new monitors, keyboards, etc.