PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617EVS speed problem

John Piwaron
04-15-2007, 10:20 PM
When I used my Bosch 1617EVS tonight the speed seemed to vary even though I had it set on one speed for use. I say that because the sound varied.

FWIW, the router is hanging under my router table.

Can this be happening? Has anyone else experienced this?

Robert Waddell
04-15-2007, 11:01 PM
John,
I've been using one of these for the last 3yrs or so. It would be my quess that you heard the EVS (electronic variable speed) control. This router adjusts itself depending upon the load it is under. More wood more power -less wood less power. When it first comes on it sounds fast and then slows down. This is normal if this is what you heard. The speed you set on the thumb wheel is the target speed it tries to maintain by adding or decreasing power. Also this sound varance is more pronounced the slower you have it set.
Rob

John Piwaron
04-16-2007, 9:55 AM
That'd be fine except I've owned this router since it was a new offering from Bosch and never heard it do that before. And more interestingly, the sound, or pitch as it were, was changing when not under load.

Also, the load I was presenting to the router last night was to put a 1/4" rounderover onto a 26" long strip of cherry. Not the heaviest workout it's ever seen.

Right now, I think I'll disassemble it and check for any dust accumulation inside that might be causing problems, though I suspect that won't do anything.

I do note that the cost of a replacement speed control isn't too exorbitant if it comes to that.

Rick Christopherson
04-16-2007, 5:49 PM
If the router seems to suddenly go to full speed, it can be a sign that the tachometer magnet is coming loose on the top of the motor shaft. If you catch it before is comes free and gets destroyed by the spinning motor, you may be able to reattach it. If the speed sporatically changes up and/or down, then it may be a sign that the speed control dial (variable resistor) is fowled or failing. Exercising the dial, or setting the dial to a different position may sometimes alleviate this.

Phil Thien
04-16-2007, 10:27 PM
One more thought, do you use a down-draft box for dust collection? If so, and maybe even if not, I'd take the unit outside and blast the junk out of it w/ an air compressor.

John Piwaron
04-17-2007, 9:19 AM
No dust collection at this time :(

It's on my to do list.

And that does bring up an interesting thought. The next project on my list is the NYW deluxe router table. I've got all the stuff to do it, switches and so forth, so I'm committed.

But if the 1617EVS is susceptible to problems with dust, is that a good choice for use in a router table, particularly one where the dust is going to be pulled past it by putting a vacuum on the chamber it hangs in. Right now my existing router table is open, dust and chips are free to go wherever.

Your thoughts?