PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 inch Ply as drawer sides?

Scott Taylor
04-15-2007, 9:21 PM
So I'm in the middle of biulding my workbench which will have two columns of drawers and shelves below. I've built the cabinet itself and my next step is to construct the drawers. So here's the question.

Is it adviable to use 3/4 in ply to box out the drawers, or should I just use hardwood? The drawers will be just shy of 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I plan on using some of the hardboard, or pressboard (whatever it's called; it's the thin brown stuff with one smooth side) for the bottoms. I was just gonna cut a slot to hold the hardboard.

If I use the ply as the drawer sides, is there a concern for grain direction? I would assume no, but I am a rookie.

Lots of questions, thanks for the help.

Scott

Jim Dunn
04-15-2007, 9:26 PM
3/4" plywood is strong enough to hold all you can store in the drawers. That said the bottom is the most important part, IMHO. I'd use at least 1/2" or even 3/4" for the bottoms depending on what you plan to place in the drawers.

glenn bradley
04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I have a cabinet of approx. 24" x 24" drawers. I used 1/2 BB ply for the sides and 1/4" for the bottoms. This is about as large as I would go on shop drawers. I find I lose stuff in the back of them. When I built my RT cabinet I built them about the same way but had the backs set closer. This allows me full exposure to the contents with plenty of drawer side left for support. I have used 1/4 melamine hardboard for bottom in the manner you describe as it provides a lining and being white gives good visibility.

Todd Solomon
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Hi Scott,

I also think 1/2" would be sufficient for the sides, and 1/4" for the bottom, although you certainly could use 3/4" if you wish. I would recommend baltic birch for the sides rather than standard plywood, if you're going with dovetail construction. Standard plywood has voids and will blow out, if you try to route dovetails. Even if you hand-cut, baltic birch will be so much stronger.

Todd

Pete Brown
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Is it adviable to use 3/4 in ply to box out the drawers, or should I just use hardwood? The drawers will be just shy of 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I plan on using some of the hardboard, or pressboard (whatever it's called; it's the thin brown stuff with one smooth side) for the bottoms. I was just gonna cut a slot to hold the hardboard.

Don't use that tempered hardboard for the bottom of the drawer; it won't hold anything and will sag like crazy.

Use 1/4 or 1/2 inch ply for the bottoms and 1/2 or 3/4 ply for the sides. Grain direction should typically run the length of the drawer.

Pete

Andrew Williams
04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I just use 1/2" poplar for my shop drawers. Cheaper than BB (by a long shot) and much easier to plane them if they need fitting. 1/4" ply is fine for the bottom.