PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bowl with Pyrography

Dominic Greco
04-15-2007, 9:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here is a cherry bowl I completed just this past Saturday. This one of those bowls I roughed out back at the end of in 2005 and totally forgot about. It had been alcohol dried at the time. So by the time I got to it, it was BONE dry. I wanted to do something different with this and decided to continue to experiment with pyrography. I used my newly purchased "Coarse Hair" Optima pen to draw these lines. BTW, even after 45 minutes of use, the pen tube was still comfortable to hold.

The two beads about the rim were formed using my handy dandy 3 point tool and are approx 1/8 wide. While the space between them is about 1/2" wide. The burned lines bordering the beads were formed using a guitar string (where permitting) or a piece of black veneer.

This piece of cherry had some assorted cracks, pitch pockets, and a large void near a knot. These were filled with a mix of charcoal, coffee grinds, and CA glue.

While I'm pretty happy with the overall effect, I know there is a lot of room for improvement. I think that the next time I try this type of design I will use the skew pen to make thinner, deeper lines. I also will make it so the pattern features more lines that are closer together (these were about 3/16" apart). I also need to practice my "control" so that I get uniform lines. One difficulty I was never aware of until I tried this was holding the bowl steady while you worked. After making this rather simple design, I have even more admiration for Molly Winton, Wally Dickerman, Jennifer Shirley, and those others that make this look easy!

Specs:
Outer dia.: 9 1/4"
Height: 3 1/2"
Wall thickness: 3/8"
Base dia.: 3"
Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 600 Grit and then burnished.
Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
Final: Buffed with Beall System followed by Renn Wax

What are your thoughts about this bowl?

Thanks for viewing.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2007, 9:28 PM
Dominic.........I find that bowl stunning! I love the pyrograpny! The wood...the form...the pyrography......stunning! Well done!

Curt Fuller
04-15-2007, 9:39 PM
Dominic that's one of the nicest pyrography designs I've seen on a bowl. And you've done a great job on it too. The bowl is beautiful by itself but the rim and base detail really set it off nicely.

Shane Whitlock
04-15-2007, 9:43 PM
Great looking bowl! The pyrography is fantastic and I really like the way you have finished off the bottom of the bowl, looks great!

Shane

Steve Schlumpf
04-15-2007, 9:45 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Dominic! Love the color, great looking form, really nice pyro design! I like the way everything works together! Really nice work!

Corey Hallagan
04-15-2007, 9:45 PM
That's a gorgeous bowl!

Corey

laurie sullivan
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
my true thought is.......you need to send it to me......my address is.......:D
it's beautiful.

laurie

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Dominic that bowl is beautiful. I love the form, finish, and pyro design. Nice job.

Nancy Laird
04-15-2007, 10:55 PM
One word: beautiful!!

Nancy

Dominic Greco
04-16-2007, 9:49 AM
Thank you all for the compliments!

Mike Vickery
04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Beautiful piece you got their Dominic.

Ed Scolforo
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Dominic, I love everything about the bowl: the coloring of the wood, the form and the pyrography that compliments it beautifully. Well done!
Ed

Jonathon Spafford
04-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Excellent work... the design is perfect: not too much, not too little! Awesome piece!